1gbps fibre - What speeds do you get?

Jaseyyxx

How did you manage to get 2 1Gbps Fiber lines in one house? I always thought you are only allowed one line per home.
Looks like his FNO is Vuma. With Vuma you can request to have a second line installed and if there is an extra fibre strand they will give you a second line

SpiderGear

How did you manage to get 2 1Gbps Fiber lines in one house? I always thought you are only allowed one line per home.
I simply applied for another line at my house. Paid the Installation fee and viola!
You cannot have 2 lines at the same address, so say the address for the first line is 20 Malibongwe Drive, the address for the new line is 20B Malibongwe drive.

My wall box outside already had 2 fibers so they simply had to patch it in the street cabinet.

MEG101

Looks like his FNO is Vuma. With Vuma you can request to have a second line installed and if there is an extra fibre strand they will give you a second line
Ok that makes sense. I am still struggling to get even one line installed in my complex, as according to Vuma, it is not "live" yet, but both my neighbors has active fiber connections... I would love to have fiber at my house!

MEG101

I simply applied for another line at my house. Paid the Installation fee and viola!
You cannot have 2 lines at the same address, so say the address for the first line is 20 Malibongwe Drive, the address for the new line is 20B Malibongwe drive.

My wall box outside already had 2 fibers so they simply had to patch it in the street cabinet.
Cool man you have 2 superfast lines, I am struggling with Vuma - my complex are not "live" according to them, but both my neighbors have active fiber lines installed. I would love to have fiber at my house! Even a 100/100 would be heaven!!

sybawoods

Expert Member
Cool Ideas over Octotel.
Never hit the max on any speed-test yet.
May be router CPU or the fact that I have multiple devices and connections, but not really an issue either way.

11893175178.png

Stuey74

I used to get around 940 Mbps up to 960 Mbps. Then Axxess/Vuma upgraded me to 1000/200 Mbps. Now I get the below, no change on my side but Axxess keep asking me to run test after test after test and I get no help at all. Can never accept that the customer is not at fault and when Vuma say it is not their problem, Axxess close the ticket. For some reason speedtest.net sees my wired laptop connection as WiFi, then they also say we cannot assist with WiFi produced tests. So the 100 Mbps they added in upload speed, they took away from the download speed.

Screenshot 2021-08-17 at 13.35.18.png

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Cool Ideas over Octotel.
Never hit the max on any speed-test yet.
May be router CPU or the fact that I have multiple devices and connections, but not really an issue either way.

11893175178.png
Could you do me favour and run a test to the JHB Afrihost speedtest server.

VandaL

Can never accept that the customer is not at fault
This is 100% true, while I see the point of they deal with a lot of none techy people who don't know what they are talking about, it does get frustrating. I have a support ticket open with coolideas for the past 3 weeks now, basically I experience packetloss between 7-10pm everyday around 5% which you can instantly feel in games, especially R6 siege.

They have stopped taking new orders from zoom because customers are having 2 different issues, one being the packetloss which I'm sure only a GAMER or someone doing on demand stuff like video calls etc would see and the other is people are getting half their quoted upload speed. Zoom hasn't fixed anything..... yet.

It's so strange because I can get my full link speed from overseas and locally during this time, the connection for the most part seems perfectly fine but packet loss on multiple hops.

Untitled(1).png

Zoom comes back to Cool Ideas today saying they don't see a problem on my idle gigabit link :D

Dan C

Honorary Master
I used to get around 940 Mbps up to 960 Mbps. Then Axxess/Vuma upgraded me to 1000/2000 Mbps. Now I get the below, no change on my side but Axxess keep asking me to run test after test after test and I get no help at all. Can never accept that the customer is not at fault and when Vuma say it is not their problem, Axxess close the ticket. For some reason speedtest.net sees my wired laptop connection as WiFi, then they also say we cannot assist with WiFi produced tests. So the 100 Mbps they added in upload speed, they took away from the download speed.

View attachment 1128464
Bliksem

cavedog

Honorary Master
This is 100% true, while I see the point of they deal with a lot of none techy people who don't know what they are talking about, it does get frustrating. I have a support ticket open with coolideas for the past 3 weeks now, basically I experience packetloss between 7-10pm everyday around 5% which you can instantly feel in games, especially R6 siege.

They have stopped taking new orders from zoom because customers are having 2 different issues, one being the packetloss which I'm sure only a GAMER or someone doing on demand stuff like video calls etc would see and the other is people are getting half their quoted upload speed. Zoom hasn't fixed anything..... yet.

It's so strange because I can get my full link speed from overseas and locally during this time, the connection for the most part seems perfectly fine but packet loss on multiple hops.

View attachment 1128468

Zoom comes back to Cool Ideas today saying they don't see a problem on my idle gigabit link :D

Good luck with Zoom fibre. There won't be ISPs on that FNO anymore very soon. ;)

netstrider

Expert Member
Cool man you have 2 superfast lines, I am struggling with Vuma - my complex are not "live" according to them, but both my neighbors have active fiber lines installed. I would love to have fiber at my house! Even a 100/100 would be heaven!!
In a complex, you will probably only be able to get one line installed as they usually run one point to every unit in the complex. You could have your neighbour's line installed to your property perhaps but then they are screwed.

notayoba

What routers do you guys use to get that speed?

I had 1Gbps fiber for about 1 day after installation, but my Wi-Fi router, or maybe my laptop's Wi-Fi, seems to max out around the 350 mark. Discovered I don't have an ethernet port on my laptop. (since when did that become a thing..)

I've since downgraded to 200. Plenty for my purposes.

Stuey74

What routers do you guys use to get that speed?

I had 1Gbps fiber for about 1 day after installation, but my Wi-Fi router, or maybe my laptop's Wi-Fi, seems to max out around the 350 mark. Discovered I don't have an ethernet port on my laptop. (since when did that become a thing..)

I've since downgraded to 200. Plenty for my purposes.
I use an Asus RT-AC66U flashed with Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70. I do feel it is time for a new one though