2 ONT's faulty in one day? Whats going on Axxess and Openserve????

Lifeofagambler

I signed up for fibre with Axxess and Openserve this the beginning of October and had my installation done and activated a couple of days later, being a total noob to fibre i was impressed since i've always heard horror stories 20+ days wait times.

About a week later, the dreaded load shedding is back and after a power outage on Friday night i wake up to a green blinking PON light and no connectivity. Logged a call with axxess and i was shocked to find that all 3 times i called, my call was answered by the same consultant only for the consultant to tell me that there is no supervisor around so they cannot access my account to check whats going on, at this point i go on a huge rant and about how bad their service is and that i should not be experiencing such problems after only slightly less than 2 weeks with their service, they proceed to give me an openserve ref number and 20 minutes later i get a call from a friendly openserve tech who says he'll be there within 30 minutes. When he arrived he tested my line and found that the ont was damaged by a power surge but the router was fine so he replaced the ONT and i was back online... A few hours later... Loadshedding again and i dediced to rather be safe than sorry and disconnected the ONT and router from the power and lo behold an hour after the power came back on i plugged everything back and i have the PON light blinking green again .

Is it really possible that 2 ONTs could be ruined in one day? And if they are so sensitive to power outages, why isnt openserve supplying a UPS with their installation? Im now waiting for another openserve tech who will hopefully dig deeper into the root cause of this issue beyond replacing the ONT and calling it a day

netcruiser

Yes it's possible. I've lost many devices over the years to surges. Now I don't plug in anything without a surge protector or UPS. I also had surge protectors installed in my DB board and have my LAN grounded with surge protectors.

Lifeofagambler

I will definitely look into getting a decent UPS although the second time it happened i had everything unplugged and waited about an hour after the power came back to plug everything back in and that is what makes me think this could be an underlying problem besides a power surge. Will definitely report back once the openserve tech is here on Monday

RedViking

Nord of the South
Why must Openserve or any other company, supply a UPS because Eskom is crap?
And are you going to pay for it? No.

You want Samsung to supply a surge protector for your Fridge and washing machine also?

It is your responsibility to have all your device on a UPS and surge protectors.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Seems a bit excessive though I use a backup 12v battery pack with my ONT and Router so they never go off. If you want to get something decent that will last long I would suggest something that runs 12v and not a UPS as that takes 12V inverts it to 220v and then the ONT power brick brings it back to 12V.

I use this

I used old cables and plugs from chargers I don't use but communica sells the plugs and wire if you need it. This solution is cheaper than a UPS and runs the router and ONT for way longer too.

Lifeofagambler

Why must Openserve or any other company, supply a UPS because Eskom is crap?
And are you going to pay for it? No.

You want Samsung to supply a surge protector for your Fridge and washing machine also?

It is your responsibility to have all your device on a UPS and surge protectors.
Well since the ONT is never the property of the customer but the property of openserve i would like to think that replacing the ONT will eventually cost them quite a bit if this keeps happening, although i do see your point, i still feel it isnt really my responsibility if the device never belongs to me and they replace it at their own cost.

Lifeofagambler

Seems a bit excessive though I use a backup 12v battery pack with my ONT and Router so they never go off. If you want to get something decent that will last long I would suggest something that runs 12v and not a UPS as that takes 12V inverts it to 220v and then the ONT power brick brings it back to 12V.

I use this

I used old cables and plugs from chargers I don't use but communica sells the plugs and wire if you need it. This solution is cheaper than a UPS and runs the router and ONT for way longer too.
This is going to be a great help Cavedog.
Thank you for the invaluable advice

RedViking

Nord of the South
Well since the ONT is never the property of the customer but the property of openserve i would like to think that replacing the ONT will eventually cost them quite a bit if this keeps happening, although i do see your point, i still feel it isnt really my responsibility if the device never belongs to me and they replace it at their own cost.
They should rather make it a rule then if you do not have it on a UPS they don't replace it. It will just get way too expensive to also supply a UPS and keep on maintaining the batteries.
But I see your point.

wingnut771

Executive Member

I use this

how do you charge the battery?

netcruiser

don't you damage the battery if you go more that 50% DOD?
Yes, it's not good for the battery. I use these batteries all over my house (gate motor, alarm system, electric fence, etc) and if they drain a few times they don't recover, even if you use a multi-stage charger. Some are bad after one draining (i.e. completely flat, like 1V), others last maybe five to ten drainings in my experience.

cavedog

Honorary Master
15 hours of power?
So it lasted 9 hours. 17:30 to about 03:00. The battery powers both the ONT and the router. I'm guessing transfer speed and connection will play a role as it was seeding torrents the whole time using on average about ~85Mbps until the pack died.

I also have a DC-DC buck between the pack and the routers just to make sure the router and ONT gets stable power throughout so there is some loss there too.