2 or 3 years remaining for physical game retailers in South Africa - BT Games

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
2 or 3 years remaining for physical game retailers in South Africa - BT Games

Brick-and-mortar video game stores have at least another two to three years left in South Africa, according to the director of one of South Africa's most well-known video game retailers.

With global broadband connectivity on the rise, gamers are increasingly using digital storefronts to purchase video games.

This may lead many to believe that video game discs will soon be a thing of the past, similar to how music streaming services killed the CD album.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Good to see some logic and sensibility.
Hard to find sometimes.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Its dead. You have to download content anyways when you buy a game.
It's always been that way though.
Patches used to be anything from a few Mb to a few hundred.
These days fixes are gigs in size.
Fitgirl has my support. I don't even update games.
Edit: can't stop the rock. Stop the rock. Aaaarrrggghh

Swa

Honorary Master
:crying:

What she ignores is that by the time it releases you already have to patch the game and many retail copies never came with the game files in any case. Sadly retail is already dead.

Peon

Expert Member
Couldnt BT Games offer buyers high speed connectivity to download the game quicker than their 10Mb fibre at home? Come buy the game and dl it in store to an external quickly. Or some type of delivery mechanism where feet still enter the store? Increase the value added proposition by including novelties and merchandise?

200GB dl hurts on a 10Mb connection. How many 4G/5G users are gamers and the 200GB download hurts?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Couldnt BT Games offer buyers high speed connectivity to download the game quicker than their 10Mb fibre at home? Come buy the game and dl it in store to an external quickly. Or some type of delivery mechanism where feet still enter the store? Increase the value added proposition by including novelties and merchandise?

200GB dl hurts on a 10Mb connection. How many 4G/5G users are gamers and the 200GB download hurts?

Markd

It kuk, anyone else remember going to IC or CNA and playing the latest games on the machines they had setup? 1999 - Tiberian Sun
1999? That sounds about right. Think I was in the original Incredible Connection in Woodmead in 1998 playing Starcraft on some shitty old 14" CRT, and absolutely loving it. I remember there being shelves PACKED with those big boxes that games used to ship in, from a host of developers/publishers nobody remembers anymore. Thats how I discovered games like Simon the Sorcerer, Kings Quest etc. That was the golden age. I really miss it - guess I'm getting old!

Peon

Expert Member
1999? That sounds about right. Think I was in the original Incredible Connection in Woodmead in 1998 playing Starcraft on some shitty old 14" CRT, and absolutely loving it. I remember there being shelves PACKED with those big boxes that games used to ship in, from a host of developers/publishers nobody remembers anymore. Thats how I discovered games like Simon the Sorcerer, Kings Quest etc. That was the golden age. I really miss it - guess I'm getting old!
Ai Mark, WarCraft2: Battle Chest bought from Woodmead. Box was massive for a lighty back then. They had 5 gaming PC's setup for peeps wanting to LAN Q3.

Deandbn

Ohh, if only we had affordable reasonably fast internet in South Africa.
Now wouldn't that be nice.

wbot

Expert Member
Who else misses the smell and shine of a brand new boxed game?

GTA IV smelled the best for some reason haha. Mine still smells pretty good :giggle:

Digital downloads are just not the same. I'm a disc guy.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So when Steam goes down/bankrupt, what happens to your digital downloaded games?

I'm not so sure I'd be happy that my games are actually only being rented, not owned..
Lol they just need to release HL3 and they'll be more valuable than Apple.