2 Tankers Damaged After Torpedo Attack Near Strait Of Hormuz; Oil Soars

Blue Shirt

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-tanker-unexploded-mine-gulf-oman

Iranian vessel removed unexploded mine from stricken oil tanker in Gulf of Oman, US officials say

An Iranian vessel removed an unexploded mine that had been attached to a Japanese-owned oil tanker which suffered serious damage after an explosion in the Gulf of Oman early Thursday, U.S. officials told Fox News, as the U.S. Navy released video purportedly showing the incident.

The imagery came from the USS Bainbridge, a guided-missile destroyer which rescued 21 sailors from the stricken tanker.

At least one other mine attached to tanker's hull detonated, causing the blast. It happened near the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a key route for oil shipments in the region.

A U.S. official told Fox News an Iranian gunboat approached the Kokuka Courageous later in the day and removed the unexploded triangular-shaped limpet mine, the same type of mine used to damage four other tankers in the Gulf of Oman last month.

The official, who requested anonymity to discuss sensitive information, said the suspected Iranian vessel did not bear any flags, nor did the crew members wear any uniforms. But, the class of vessel, what the U.S. military has called a fast inshore attack craft (FIAC), was the same type of ship used by Iran to harass American warships in the Persian Gulf in recent years.

Other Iranian small boats have remained near the stricken oil tanker since the attack early Thursday, the official added.

Blue Shirt

Looks like there is more to the story. The video in the news report is pretty clear.

Why would an Iranian vessel remove the unexploded mine other than to hide the fact that it was an Iranian mine?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Looks like there is more to the story. The video in the news report is pretty clear.

Why would an Iranian vessel remove the unexploded mine other than to hide the fact that it was an Iranian mine?
So that it doesn't explode and cause more damage.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's like accusing the bomb squad of planting the bomb if they defuse and remove it.

We'll see if any propper investigation follow.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
A U.S. official told Fox News an Iranian gunboat approached the Kokuka Courageous later in the day and removed the unexploded triangular-shaped limpet mine, the same type of mine used to damage four other tankers in the Gulf of Oman last month.

The official, who requested anonymity to discuss sensitive information, said the suspected Iranian vessel did not bear any flags, nor did the crew members wear any uniforms. But, the class of vessel, what the U.S. military has called a fast inshore attack craft (FIAC), was the same type of ship used by Iran to harass American warships in the Persian Gulf in recent years.

Other Iranian small boats have remained near the stricken oil tanker since the attack early Thursday, the official added.
There's an incident 25km from your coast. And apparently foreign war vessels. What you want Iran to do? Evacuate from the area?

Kryptonite

^ Wait, what?

$700 Billion in defense spending can’t buy you a camera from this century that shoots in colour?

What John Wayne movie did Bolton steal that footage from?
They still looking for the plane that hit the Pentagon remember............a big ass plane, hitting one of the most well known places in the world.........no photos.

Daruk

Honorary Master
So that it doesn't explode and cause more damage.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's like accusing the bomb squad of planting the bomb if they defuse and remove it.

We'll see if any propper investigation follow.
Given that the device and it's origin can likely be traced by intelligence, it's hardly ridiculous.

Cray

Honorary Master
They still looking for the plane that hit the Pentagon remember............a big ass plane, hitting one of the most well known places in the world.........no photos.
Next time you are in the States go and take photos of the pentagon and see how quickly someone in uniform comes along and tells you to stop...

greg0205

Honorary Master
Lol at the guy who hasn't never seen thermal combat imaging before. And the resolution normally gets scrubbed, for what I assume to be opsec reasons.
Thermal you say?

Amazing shadows they’re casting in the middle of the night.

That’s b&w pal.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Given that the device and it's origin can likely be traced by intelligence, it's hardly ridiculous.
Doesn't make a difference. They can trace the exploded ones and these things get sold so identifying the manufacturers doesn't necessarily identify who did it.

Blue Shirt

There's an incident 25km from your coast. And apparently foreign war vessels. What you want Iran to do? Evacuate from the area?
So you have no explanation for the fact that the crew did not wear uniforms, the vessel flying no flag and why they removed the limpet mine.

Nice attempt at a deflection, but no cigar.

Cray

Honorary Master
One would presume the US tracked the vessel back to an Iranian port. You know, radar, satellite imagery and all that.
Fair enough, you have to admit though - the US aren't that trustworthy when it comes to things like this involving countries they clearly have issues with..

rietrot

Honorary Master
So you have no explanation for the fact that the crew did not wear uniforms, the vessel flying no flag and why they removed the limpet mine.

Nice attempt at a deflection, but no cigar.
If that's the case I would to know how you know they were Iranians?

rietrot

Honorary Master
One would presume the US tracked the vessel back to an Iranian port. You know, radar, satellite imagery and all that.
Lol ja. Lets start a war on presumptions.
I'm sure Iran has WMDs there's no point to this circus, just invade already.