2 x year warranty not being honoured by Ryobi / Stevens & Co. (Pty) Ltd

Recruitsmiths

Am I being treated unfairly here?
I took in a brush cutter to Stevens & Co. (Pty) Ltd in 16th Road, Midrand, 5th Jan 2015. The unit wouldn't start; it was purchased from Builders Warehouse in Dec 2013, with a 2 x year warranty. Book-in clerk told me it would take between 7 - 10 to have it ready again; 3 x weeks later - No response from them! So, I drop them an email of inquiry...
Their response is via an email quotation as ff:
This is to notify you that your job card 31350 for the BRUSH CUTTER 43CC PETROL (serial number '131900231') has been assessed, please see quotation detail below:

Quote Number: REPQ00000021067

Parts required:
2.0 PISTON RING, RBP4350,RBC4300(RBP4350/49A) Charges apply: Yes
1.0 GASKET, CYLINDER RBP4350,RBC4300,RBC5200(RBP4350/50A) Charges apply: Yes
1.0 CYLINDER, RBP4350,RBC4300(RBP4350/51A) Charges apply: Yes
1.0 SPARK PLUG, LINE TRIMMER,BRUSH CUTTER,CHAINSAW(70610311) Charges apply: Yes
1.0 PISTON, RBP4350,RBC4300(RBP4350/46A) Charges apply: Yes

Total amount: R 1 189.02

If you would like our technicians to go ahead with this job card please reply on this email to notify us.

Regards,
Ryobi Repairs
011 357 9600

My Response to the email:

Preposterous...Sacrilege!
My unit has not been utilized for more than a handful of times, the "cutting line" has only been changed once, and it is barely 12 months old. Where is the supposedly 2 x year warranty?
I brought in my purchase invoice when I booked it in...and now to have it fixed under warranty, it will cost more than 50% of the purchase price!
No thanks, please have the unit ready for collection. I refuse to be conned! Please forward to your Customer Service Manger, I am totally unhappy! :mad:
BTW, what parts of the unit do fall under the warranty then?

regards
Theo
071xxxxxxx

Am I being conned or is this a normal procedure? This is, after all, my first experience with a Ryobi product.

Recruitsmiths

From the Ryobi website.....

Service & Support

It is the goal of RYOBI to have the best after-sales support in the industry. :wtf: We have three “in-house” Service centres that all work 6 days a week and are fully equipped with trained technicians and friendly, knowledgeable staff prepared to assist you in any way they can. If you are in a hurry, or need your machine fixed urgently, ask one of our staff for an “F1” service and they will try their best to fix your machine while you wait! (Depending on the nature and extent of the problem of course)

lived666

Executive Member
yeh dodge.
I took my brush cutter from makro to them and they did an awesome warranty repair and was in last month of warranty, so you must check with them what is what.
I still service it with them, last one was R100 to change the head, so definitely wires crossed here, you shouldn't have to pay a cent.

BTW whats with the email you sent them, all you should have said is thank you for your quote please note my item is under warranty so go ahead and repair it under warranty.

Pitbull

Verboten
yeh dodge.
I took my brush cutter from makro to them and they did an awesome warranty repair and was in last month of warranty, so you must check with them what is what.
I still service it with them, last one was R100 to change the head, so definitely wires crossed here, you shouldn't have to pay a cent.

BTW whats with the email you sent them, all you should have said is thank you for your quote please note my item is under warranty so go ahead and repair it under warranty.
Agreed, they might have missed the part that the item is still under warrantee. Honest mistake could have happened.

lived666

Executive Member
Agreed, they might have missed the part that the item is still under warrantee. Honest mistake could have happened.
Yeh, whats with the get my unit ready for collection and I'm unhappy. More like get stuffed, fix it under warranty.

@pitbull BTW hows your Bitco going, my comtel is mind blowing awesome, just upgraded to a faster line as I have too many items connected

Recruitsmiths

Wait...wait...!
They did know it was under warranty...
I first did call; spoke to the service representative and informed him of the problem, he advised me to bring in my purchase invoice to confirm date of purchase and warranty. I told him - will be there in 20 min as I live barely 10km from them.
Got there and spoke to the same gentleman, presented invoice and booked in the unit.
So, I don't think any failure on my part...
They had the details all the time..

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Wait, is normal wear and tear covered under warranty?

Assuming it is a 2-stroke, did you use the correct oil:fuel ratio? I've been using 2strokes since forever, they just keep on going as long as you use the correct oil:fuel ratio (usually between 1:25 and 1:50)

I always tend to err on the side of caution and put in 1:30 (for an 1:25 engine)...

Pitbull

Verboten
Yeh, whats with the get my unit ready for collection and I'm unhappy. More like get stuffed, fix it under warranty.

@pitbull BTW hows your Bitco going, my comtel is mind blowing awesome, just upgraded to a faster line as I have too many items connected
I have had zero issues with it since inception. There was a interruption on Sunday I think which it was down for 2 hours from 20:00 - about 22:00 Only downtime I have had since inception almost a year ago. I'm extremely happy. Also contemplating upgrading to 10mbps currently only on 5. :eek:

lived666

Executive Member
Wait...wait...!
I first did call; spoke to the service representative and informed him of the problem, he advised me to bring in my purchase invoice to confirm date of purchase and warranty. I told him - will be there in 20 min as I live barely 10km from them.
Got there and spoke to the same gentleman, presented invoice and booked in the unit.
Nah, all you should have said is cool thanks, but it is under warranty. worse case go to builders and let them book it in. I can tell you my unit looked like it had been through 3 wars and had no issue with warranty. Even out of warranty repairs have had brilliant service from them

Pitbull

Verboten
Wait...wait...!
No one is disputing that. The problem here though is that the person who drafted the repair/job card is nto the same person. They could have easily missed the warrantee. It happens. You approached it wrong and I would not be surprised if you get substandard service now going forward. If I was them I would drag my feet so hard that you will end up whining another 5 times before getting it fixed :p *that is just me though

lived666

Executive Member
I have had zero issues with it since inception. There was a interruption on Sunday I think which it was down for 2 hours from 20:00 - about 22:00 Only downtime I have had since inception almost a year ago. I'm extremely happy. Also contemplating upgrading to 10mbps currently only on 5. :eek:
5 is ok. comtels 2mb was brilliant for streaming but okish for gaming. Now on 8mbs I can stream on 3 different devices and game at the same time. turns out at any given time I have between 8 - 12 devices connected, insane.

Pitbull

Verboten
5 is ok. comtels 2mb was brilliant for streaming but okish for gaming. Now on 8mbs I can stream on 3 different devices and game at the same time. turns out at any given time I have between 8 - 12 devices connected, insane.
Who needs ADSL? :p

Recruitsmiths

Wait, is normal wear and tear covered under warranty?

Assuming it is a 2-stroke, did you use the correct oil:fuel ratio? I've been using 2strokes since forever, they just keep on going as long as you use the correct oil:fuel ratio (usually between 1:25 and 1:50)

I always tend to err on the side of caution and put in 1:30 (for an 1:25 engine)...
Normal wear and tear (IMO) would cover more the line head...consumables..etc.
I speak under correction as this is not specified in print on the warranty.
Although this is my first brush cutter, bought mainly for the grass verges on road side - am 22 years on a plot in Glen Austin; I have owned several petrol lawn mowers and I also mix 1:25
I never did have problems in that respect...
My current Yahama is over 10 years old, still going strong...

lived666

Executive Member
Although this is my first brush cutter, bought mainly for the grass verges on road side - am 22 years on a plot in Glen Austin; I have owned several petrol lawn mowers and I also mix 1:25
dude whatever the issue you have a warranty, get a spine, go there and say i think your quote is in error as the unit is under warranty, thats it. no wear and tear nonsense, no what parts are covered cause all parts are covered, so just say thanks for the quote but no thanks for the charge.

Last edited:

Pitbull

Verboten
By all means, we could all assume it was a factory fault that made it fail. How you approached it though was lacking tact tbh. As I said, that is my personal experience. I would jump through hoops for one of my clients being courteous and understanding as opposed to someone who demands things. You must understand there is a human being on the other side of the counter in this case. It could all have been a simple mistake (We don't know that yet). And if it was do you think that approach was warranted?

I'm all for your stance if it turns out they are trying to avoid their obligation but I highly doubt this was the case on the quote they sent you.

AdrianH

Expert Member
I've phoned them up previously when something broke that I bought from Builders. I asked if I could drop it off directly with them instead of going back to Builders and they said yes, but I must bring the slip. When I arrived, they asked what was wrong, and when and where I bought it. I told them and without even checking the slip, the repaired it there and then. It was a minor problem, and within 10 minutes I was on my way again.

I found them to be very professional and friendly overall.

desiganp

There might have been a miscommunication/misunderstanding on their part - the person who replied to the mail may not have verified that the unit is still under warranty. Did you give them the receipt when you took it in to confirm its under warranty or have it recorded on the job card?

With due respect, I think your reaction was overboard without first getting an explicit confirmation from them that your unit falls outside the warranty scope.

Give them a call/visit and clarify the warranty details - it may have just been a process failure (probably on their part). In my view, your reply was a bit off the cuff and will only make them less inclined to want to assist you.

Try again, this time more calmer and more polite in your response.