200/200 or 1000/100 which should I go with?

Thor

Honorary Master
On 1000/100 now but I would downgrade for the 200/200 as I need upload more. There is no real speed benefit except steam downloads personally which I can wait an extra 4 minutes for the download.
This, anything above 50Mbps you won't notice download wise (Except if you torrent) but uploads will be noticed - everything in a modern home talks back to the base. IoT is upload.

SA ISPs lagging behind.

Loppas

On 1000/100 now but I would downgrade for the 200/200 as I need upload more. There is no real speed benefit except steam downloads personally which I can wait an extra 4 minutes for the download.
I agree with this, but on a side note I'd be amazed if you could break 100MB\s on steam. You need quite a beefy system to handle the file decompression and whatever other processes it does when downloading. On my i7 3770k i couldn't get more than 60MB\s and on my friends i5 8600k it got to about 78MB\s. Also i noticed that even the south african download servers caused limitations on speed.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I agree with this, but on a side note I'd be amazed if you could break 100MB\s on steam. You need quite a beefy system to handle the file decompression and whatever other processes it does when downloading. On my i7 3770k i couldn't get more than 60MB\s and on my friends i5 8600k it got to about 78MB\s. Also i noticed that even the south african download servers caused limitations on speed.
Running my i7 4790k with Telkom LTE, I have seen peak speeds of >80MB/s but nothing close to 100MB/s yet. Only time Night Owl data is actually useful.

abudabi

Expert Member
It all depends on the intended purpose. A single power user would probably prefer 200/200 whilst a family with multiple streaming/downloading devices would probably go the gbit route.

under_sky

Expert Member
It all depends on the intended purpose. A single power user would probably prefer 200/200 whilst a family with multiple streaming/downloading devices would probably go the gbit route.
1Gb is crazy in terms of actual usage. At Afrihost we had a 1Gb up and down and we could use it for anything. That line was never slow even with all the torrents etc. Probably because they would smash the line for like 15 seconds and no one would notice. also maybe 50-80 staff on it.

clickingbuttons

You're limited mostly to 100mbit for single threaded downloads anyway.

Although the price for 200/200 is mostly the same as for a 1000/100 so go for whatever you think is best.

koeksGHT

Dealer
This, anything above 50Mbps you won't notice download wise (Except if you torrent) but uploads will be noticed - everything in a modern home talks back to the base. IoT is upload.

SA ISPs lagging behind.
No, SA network providers lagging behind. Maybe when they finish the metro rollouts they will upgrade slowly.

But whats the diff between 500mbps, 1gbps, 2gbps, 5gbps for the average user?

itiki123

Dstv now would still buffer
Use a VPN and get DAZN and/or ESPN+ for sport because thats the only logical reason why people still have DSTV. Those animals got monopoly rights to televise sports in South Africa; probably paid a few "honourable members".

Rabobi

Executive Member
Use a VPN and get DAZN and/or ESPN+ for sport because thats the only logical reason why people still have DSTV. Those animals got monopoly rights to televise sports in South Africa; probably paid a few "honourable members".
Woosh!

DuckKnuckle

Got 1000/100 at home.

Steam peaks around 90MBps, Origin in the high 80s, and the Star Citizen launcher maxes out at 125MBps

These speeds are all about convenience, and I love it. OP, just make sure your router is capable. My original router I bought for 1000/100 wasn’t entirely capable and I’d only get ~600Mbps. Needed to buy a new router in order to get full line speeds

DYreX146

I would love to be able to get a gigabit connection, my setup would be able to handle it perfectly fine at max line speed.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with Openserve, where you pay more for less.

Thor

Honorary Master
If that 200/200 line comes with a static IP address then we can have some fun.

waylander

Expert Member
1000/100 is what you want, unless you can justify the need for 200Mbs upload, which a very small minority of users will need. Even streaming wouldn't use more than a few 10Mbps to Twitch/YouTube and if you're uploading more than downloading, you're probably not a home user.

waylander

Expert Member
If that 200/200 line comes with a static IP address then we can have some fun.
Purely for fun (for the admins auditing logs) I set my PTR to this so anyone seeing traffic from my IP sees it as a very suspicious host lmfao