2004 Opel Corsa Lite oil leak

JP227

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2018
Messages
10
Hi there guys, I hope someone can help me. I've been having an oil leak in my corsa, but have no idea what it might be. All the oil runs onto the gearbox and then pools up at lower places. Its purple in colour. Asking because I am a student and can't really afford to take it to a workshop if it might be something I could just fix myself. Many thanks in advance!
 

carstensdj

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2011
Messages
2,419
Roughly how often are you having to top up oil and how many pints? Also, is the car smoking at all?
 

thechamp

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
27,116
It's the transmission fluid, maybe a leaking seal on one of the driveshaft. I have the same problem on mine which arose after taking the car in for a clutch job where the transmission oil was topped up. I have no idea if it was over filled or if itbis leaking at the sump gasket (transmission sump). I have not gotten around to fixing it since it does no longer drips so I have no idea if it was leaking from a breather if it has one.

You'll need to lift the car up and wash the undercarriage then take it from there.
 

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2017
Messages
7,781
It's purple in colour, definitely not engine oil.
Power steering fluid?
EDIT: ja, when I had my Corsa B many years ago, the power steering fluid was Burgundy in colour.
That car is notorious for power steering leaks. I had to overhaul mine at least once.
 

thechamp

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
27,116
Power steering fluid?
EDIT: ja, when I had my Corsa B many years ago, the power steering fluid was Burgundy in colour.
That car is notorious for power steering leaks. I had to overhaul mine at least once.
Yes that too, on mine both the gearbox oil and the power steering fluid are purple/pinkish. If it is at the bottom I think it is probably leaking on the gasket in the gearbox sump.
 

JP227

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2018
Messages
10
Roughly how often are you having to top up oil and how many pints? Also, is the car smoking at all?
haven't been able to top up any oil as I'm not sure where its coming from. Definitely not engine oil as I check that on a monthly basis and there isn't any smoke. Thank you for the reply
 

JP227

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2018
Messages
10
It's the transmission fluid, maybe a leaking seal on one of the driveshaft. I have the same problem on mine which arose after taking the car in for a clutch job where the transmission oil was topped up. I have no idea if it was over filled or if itbis leaking at the sump gasket (transmission sump). I have not gotten around to fixing it since it does no longer drips so I have no idea if it was leaking from a breather if it has one.

You'll need to lift the car up and wash the undercarriage then take it from there.
Was also thinking it is the transmission fluid. There is no power steering in the car, so I know it can't be that. Yeah, I bought the vehicle in August of last year and only noticed the oil around November. So I'm guessing it might be a gasket that needs replacing.
 

thechamp

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
27,116
Was also thinking it is the transmission fluid. There is no power steering in the car, so I know it can't be that. Yeah, I bought the vehicle in August of last year and only noticed the oil around November. So I'm guessing it might be a gasket that needs replacing.
Is it leaking a lot or just a drop now and then?
 

JP227

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2018
Messages
10
Off topic, but does anyone know of a reliable workshop to take the vehicle to in Pretoria area? Many thanks in advance :thumbsup:
 

thechamp

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
27,116
You don't have power steering so there aren't many points of failure, 90% chance it is the differential sump gasket and the remaining 10% could be the brather valve or the shaft seal.
 

JP227

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2018
Messages
10
You don't have power steering so there aren't many points of failure, 90% chance it is the differential sump gasket and the remaining 10% could be the brather valve or the shaft seal.
Thank you very much for the advice! In the mean time (before getting it to a workshop) would you recommend topping up the transmission oil or is that not necessary?
 

thechamp

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
27,116
Thank you very much for the advice! In the mean time (before getting it to a workshop) would you recommend topping up the transmission oil or is that not necessary?
Nah, just leave it as it is, wait until it's fixed.
 

Stokstert

Executive Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2007
Messages
6,116
Off topic, but does anyone know of a reliable workshop to take the vehicle to in Pretoria area? Many thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Hatwagen In Silverton

http://www.hatwagenmotors.co.za

Owner: Frans Hattingh

Tel: 012-8049413 or 012-8042061 or 012-8042839
Fax: 012-8042061
Fax to email: 086 742 8753
Email address: info@hatwagenmotors.co.za

PLEASE NOTE: NEW ADDRESS 421 PRETORIA STREET, SILVERTON
Latitude: S 25° 43′ 59.42″
Longitude: E 28° 17′ 26.08″

Baie goeie terugvoer van mense wat ek al daarheen verwys het nadat hy 'n probleem vir my opgelos het wat ek nie self kon regkry.
 
Last edited:
Top