2007 VW Polo 9N3 1.9 TDI Sportline Engine Shudder

frodob

I drive a 2007 VW Polo 9N3 1.9 TDI Sportline with 254,000 km on the clock. I've noticed recently that when turning the engine off, it either shuts off abruptly or shudders. Initially I thought it was the anti shudder valve (ASV), but a mechanic told me it's ok, and I can see it closes ok. The mechanic told me my center engine mount was worn. This was replaced, but the shudder is still there, although the engine does not rock as much anymore. He then also mentioned that the dual mass fly wheel might be on its way out. Is this plausible? Is there anything else that might be causing the engine to stop abruptly/shudder when it is switched off.

I've recorded the engine sound, and placed the clips on YouTube.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It does not look as violent in the video, if I saw that I would have thought it's okay.

frodob

It does not look as violent in the video, if I saw that I would have thought it's okay.

Sometimes when I turn the engine off, it stops very smoothly, and other times not. I'd started noticing a difference in the sound, thus thought I should be proactive should something not be right. I just don't want to replace something like a clutch and dual mass flywheel if it's not necessary. Having said that, the car drives well, gear changes are smooth, everything sounds ok when it's running, so I might be a little skeptical of the dual mass flywheel theory.