200mb Fibre for 8 people

Hi guys and gals,

I want some insight on this. We live on a small holding, theres 3 houses with a total of 8 people. I am getting a 200mbps Premium Uncapped fibre line installed and then splitting it to all the houses. I would say 6 of the people are heavy internet users (Games, Downloads, Streaming and so on). Will this line be enough?

AdrianH

Expert Member
Hi guys and gals,

I want some insight on this. We live on a small holding, theres 3 houses with a total of 8 people. I am getting a 200mbps Premium Uncapped fibre line installed and then splitting it to all the houses. I would say 6 of the people are heavy internet users (Games, Downloads, Streaming and so on). Will this line be enough?
100Mb will be ample for 8 people, mind about 200Mb. Buy a router with decent QOS so that you can give priority to streaming etc

WAslayer

Expert Member
Stop stressing about whether it's enough.. split the line according to how much each household contributes towards payment of the connection.. if this is too slow for any given household, they can take out their own connection..

If all three households split the bill equal, that's 66.6666mbps for each..

Then let each household worry about QoS themselves..

DanDango

Executive Member
Hi guys and gals,

Run a pfsense server to balance the user load.

ThatOtherDude

I do bandwidth management on my run of the mill Tenda router, 100mbps FD fibre.., split x ways. Neighbor gets X, tv gets X, laptops get x, the wife gets 1Mbps (just kidding) and I get the rest.

cantankerous

200 Mbps between two of us. Peak will see both of us streaming HD and browsing devices. UniFi Controller is telling me we've averaged 10 Mbps max over the past two weeks. You'll be fine with 200 Mbps.

ld13

Honorary Master
Just do not tell the ISP you are doing this - it is against all of the T&Cs I have had my hands on so far. But to answer your question, as already mentioned, it will never be enough. Some form of QOS will be a must, to avoid 1 user pulling the line down with 1 torrent opening 30+ connections.

Netflix e.g. claims to take up to 25mbps with some tests leaning more towards 15mbps. That comes to 15mbps*6 streamers = 90mbps if all of them stream at the same time, thus not leaving much for the rest of the folk. Assuming of course that you do not experience congestion and can sustain a 90mbps stream on your line.

Marcell1992

Just do not tell the ISP you are doing this - it is against all of the T&Cs I have had my hands on so far. But to answer your question, as already mentioned, it will never be enough. Some form of QOS will be a must, to avoid 1 user pulling the line down with 1 torrent opening 30+ connections.

Netflix e.g. claims to take up to 25mbps with some tests leaning more towards 15mbps. That comes to 15mbps*6 streamers = 90mbps if all of them stream at the same time, thus not leaving much for the rest of the folk. Assuming of course that you do not experience congestion and can sustain a 90mbps stream on your line.
Netflix does not need 15-25mbps. I'm watching 1080p fine with my 10mb line that is actually maximum 8mbps