2010: Nelspruit stadium workers striking AGAIN!

Skinner

Expert Member
Nelspruit - Workers at the Mbombela world cup soccer stadium in Nelspruit downed tools once again on Friday, said the Mpumulanga 2010 office.

It said the protest action began while negotiations between stadium contractors and organised labour were in progress on Friday.

Confederation of African Football president Issa Hayatou had a visit to the site on Friday temporarily put on hold because of the protest.

Last week, members of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) who downed tools at the stadium in Mpumalanga, came back to work after negotiations.
From: http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2230615,00.html

Ouch... :D :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ricard

Expert Member
Why accept the job in the first place? why not just claim a social grant and do nothing. Accepting a job i s 2 way street... "they" are 100% aware of the wages involved - its not a suprise. Move over for other people willing to do the work....

BTTB

Why accept the job in the first place? why not just claim a social grant and do nothing. Accepting a job i s 2 way street... "they" are 100% aware of the wages involved - its not a suprise. Move over for other people willing to do the work....
I agree with Richard.
Usually there is a Contract between the parties explicitly or tacitly implied in writing or verbally on a starting wage with annual increments relative to CPI, the increments depending of course how long the job is, as not all building jobs will take as long as a World Cup Stadium.
The Media might just be giving these workers a platform to air their gripes on?
Media sells more papers, workers get a few more Rands per day. :)

Skinner

Expert Member
I agree with Richard.
Usually there is a Contract between the parties explicitly or tacitly implied in writing or verbally on a starting wage with annual increments relative to CPI, the increments depending of course how long the job is, as not all building jobs will take as long as a World Cup Stadium.
The Media might just be giving these workers a platform to air their gripes on?
Media sells more papers, workers get a few more Rands per day. :)
Maybe they were verbally promised "nice" bonuses but without being specified how much the "bonuses" will really be.

If you took a job and you were told that you will just get "good" bonuses, but then a few months later you realise that the bonuses are crap (or zero!), would you not be unhappy? Especially if the bonuses were "performance-based", and you indeed worked hard.

Aren't most jobs, that involve bonuses as part of payment, like that?

This might be the case with these stadia workers.

BTTB

Are these allowances taxable?

Maybe they were verbally promised "nice" bonuses but without being specified how much the "bonuses" will really be.

If you took a job and you were told that you will just get "good" bonuses, but then a few months later you realise that the bonuses are crap (or zero!), would you not be unhappy? Especially if the bonuses were "performance-based", and you indeed worked hard.

Aren't most jobs, that involve bonuses as part of payment, like that?

This might be the case with these stadia workers.
Maybe.
In many instances a Bonus is not compulsory as you mention, but performance-based.
A 13th cheque could be payable around XMas time or in the month of your birthday.
A lot may depend, but a Bonus unless stipulated in a Service Contract is not guaranteed, but is taxable.

There isn't any mention of Bonuses in the article, so I must assume what they say in the article is what is in dispute?
"Several matters still remain unresolved...(including) the hourly rate paid to workers, a transport allowance for workers and a living out allowance of R1 000 per month."
Surely the Hourly Rate of pay would have been determined beforehand?:confused:

Transport Allowances and Living Out Allowances are things I am sure they can negotiate.
Ultimately those allowances are effectively all part of the Salary Package or "perks" and I would assume, but also taxable. To avoid taxation on Transport, I think the Employer would need to provide the service in which case the costs involved would appear on the Employers Income Statement and bottom line. Living Out Allowances are something that I am not familiar with and might be something The Unions are trying to push onto the Employers to squeeze more out of the equation.

Maybe the Employees are trying to get these "Allowances" paid out in cash separate to their Wages to avoid the tax implications thereof?
After all these are workers, whose possible understandings of money and it's value, is simplistic in nature and boils down to how much it costs for the person to travel to and from work.
Salaried persons would normally have to provide for their own Transport and the money required for this would come from their net income.

What the workers are saying is that they can't survive off a normal wage and the Employer is going to have to cover for these shortcomings. How this is going to effect the profitability of the job at hand for the Construction Company is something that will come out in the wash once they release their Financial Statements over the next couple of years.

Another thing that concerns me is that we are at different levels of negotiations here.
Workers are miffed and rightfully so, as they are finding it more difficult to survive in our inflationary times, but the point I want to make is how could this could alter politics in South Africa. Will it bring more popularist leaders like Zuma to the fore who will Capitalise on The Labour Union's supporters who are hard pressed to make a living. Numbers are everything when it comes to vote time.

killadoob

Honorary Master
some ppl earn nothing, give those ppl the job they will enjoy the income

its like the guys at the garage by my house, nothing under 100 will do for them

so i employee a guy from zim for 70 bucks plus lunch

capetownguy

Expert Member
the transportation from cape town train station to green point stadium was the funniest! its a 10-15 min walk, and not exactly an unpleasant one either..over new years and festivals the route from the city to the now demolished green point stadium is not a big issue

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
the transportation from cape town train station to green point stadium was the funniest! its a 10-15 min walk, and not exactly an unpleasant one either..over new years and festivals the route from the city to the now demolished green point stadium is not a big issue
Do you often done that walk? Because at 2.5km each way you'd need to be walking at roughly twice the average speed to do it in 10-15 minutes.

Skinner

Expert Member
Do you often done that walk? Because at 2.5km each way you'd need to be walking at roughly twice the average speed to do it in 10-15 minutes.
Agreed - assuming you do not have to wait for traffic to cross the many streets, you take 10 minutes to walk 1 km - so 25 minutes AT LEAST.

capetownguy

Expert Member
well maybe it is 25 minutes..but ive walked from town to green point on numerous occasions, whether its been club hopping from the city to somerset road or for concerts at green point stadium..its NOT a big deal ..i fully support a transport allowances to the cbd but a lift club from the train station is a bit ridiculous..then again its a small price to pay compared to workers getting violent and damaging people and private/public property

Xarog

Honorary Master
I'm sure you wouldn't mind taking 50 minutes per day to walk to and from your drop-off point when working every day, right?

I mean, it's not like you have better things to do or anything... right?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
i still find it ridiculous, and so do some of the contractors on site.
Really? Then they should walk a mile (or two) in the labourers shoes . . literally. ;)

Still - I finally got down to see the PE site and was surprised to see how far along they were. :)

Last edited:

capetownguy

Expert Member
yeah PE is doing great but still lagging behind other new stadia being built but they'll catch up soon.

Ill add construction images of the PE site in the sports forum

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
yeah PE is doing great but still lagging behind other new stadia being built but they'll catch up soon.

Ill add construction images of the PE site in the sports forum
I was planning on taking a few more pics today but it was hosing it down outside. I have to drive past a great vantage point tomorrow so hopefully the weather will decide to behave.