2010 stadiums could be delayed

IamCanadian

Banned
Why am I not surprised?

A shortage of raw materials and procurement issues may delay the construction of stadiums for the 2010 soccer World Cup in South Africa, a government official said on Wednesday.

Malcolm Simpson, deputy director general at the Treasury's World Cup unit, said a shortage of skills, a lack of materials and rising costs could jeopardise the increasingly tight schedule for stadium construction and refurbishment.
Tight schedule is an understatement, they only have about 900 days to get it done.

That's only 21,600 hours.

http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/default/display_article.aspx?Nav=ns&ArticleID=1518-25_2080264

BobbyMac

Expert Member
No Worries. We're getting the Chinese to come cut our corners for us.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Or you'll be making excuses and refusing to even associate with yours.

Rikus

Banned
I have said it on this forum before and I will say it again: WE WILL NOT HOST THE 2010 WORLD CUP!!!!!

Get it?
Good.

IamCanadian

Banned
And in 899 days youll be eating your words!
Better make that 869 days because the industry standard for concrete to cure is 30 days before it reaches its maximum hardness. It actually continues to cure and harden, but the rate of hardening drops of quickly after 30 days.

If I eat my words in 869 days that will be fine and I will put some mustard on them and then I look forward to the words you will be eating 10 years from now.

JK8

Banned
Better make that 869 days because the industry standard for concrete to cure is 30 days before it reaches its maximum hardness. It actually continues to cure and harden, but the rate of hardening drops of quickly after 30 days.

If I eat my words in 869 days that will be fine and I will put some mustard on them and then I look forward to the words you will be eating 10 years from now.
is 930 days we will have an abundance of useless stadiums.
Both posts seem to be linked.
So you say we wont be ready for 2010, and if we are what do we do with the stadiums after?

We are a soccer nation, sorry to surprise you but its not cricket or rugby.
There will always be uses for the stadiums, always.

IamCanadian

Banned
So you say we wont be ready for 2010, and if we are what do we do with the stadiums after?

Yeah right!

A massive future soccer stadium in Green Point far away from the masses.

Green Point Stadium was barely used over the years as it was. I should know, I used to live across the street from it.

RichardP

Banned

I was being sarcastic! ... and being a soccer nation, why cant bafanna-bafanna get a trophy?

Just a slight note - Dont go to Aston villa/Arsenal/ManU and tell them they play soccer... you will get beaten up.... its prefered name is Football.

look at the Awesome Stadium in Mafikeng! .... derelict....

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Yeah right!

Green Point Stadium was barely used over the years as it was. I should know, I used to live across the street from it.
I wouldn't got there either, awful place that it was. That is why they are tearing it down and building a real stadium there to last long into the future.

As was said above, football is the national game here, not cricket or rugby.

JK8

Banned
I was being sarcastic! ... and being a soccer nation, why cant bafanna-bafanna get a trophy?

Just a slight note - Dont go to Aston villa/Arsenal/ManU and tell them they play soccer... you will get beaten up.... its prefered name is Football.

They lack international experience and lotsa other stuff!

They know its called soccer Sepp Blatter calls it soccer, the Italians and Brazillians call it soccer and so does Pelle, so I call it SOCCER!!!!!

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
That is not the point at all.

Agree with you on this
Then wont it be good when they tear it down and put a nice new one in its place?

Bageloo

Expert Member
Yeah right!

You are obviously not clued up with what's going on in the soccer fraternity. Ajax CT currently uses a rugby stadium due to lack of suitable grounds in CT. Sometimes they have to travel to Kimberly - another rugby stadium to play their home games when Newlands is booked.
Post 2010 there will be more stadiums for all sports to use. I doubt any of those will lie idle. The world cup will most probably boost the profile of the local league and the national team. Same occured in the USA post the 1994 world cup you just have to watch the space.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
You are obviously not clued up with what's going on in the soccer fraternity. Ajax CT currently uses a rugby stadium due to lack of suitable grounds in CT. Sometimes they have to travel to Kimberly - another rugby stadium to play their home games when Newlands is booked.
Post 2010 there will be more stadiums for all sports to use. I doubt any of those will lie idle. The world cup will most probably boost the profile of the local league and the national team. Same occured in the USA post the 1994 world cup you just have to watch the space.
At last a controversial issue that we agree on :D

RichardP

Banned
They lack international experience and lotsa other stuff!

They know its called soccer Sepp Blatter calls it soccer, the Italians and Brazillians call it soccer and so does Pelle, so I call it SOCCER!!!!!
You are welcome to call is Stinky-pile-poo.... Just an experience I had calling the game where grown men kick a leather ball about 'Soccer' .. I was corrected by a few insulted patrons at Wembley stadium. :D

Sepp Blatter also has faith in the SA Guavamint... so I dont take his word as gospel :)

JK8

Banned
You are welcome to call is Stinky-pile-poo.... Just an experience I had calling the game where grown men kick a leather ball about 'Soccer' .. I was corrected by a few insulted patrons at Wembley stadium. :D

Sepp Blatter also has faith in the SA Guavamint... so I dont take his word as gospel :)
Lol ok then "what is soccer?" should have followed.