2010 World Cup school holiday terms announced

chrisonderstall

The Education Department has announced that next years South African school’s winter vacation period will be extended to ensure that schools are closed during the 2010 FIFA World Cup. This is to prevent pupil and teacher absenteeism during the matches, as well as lighten the load on the public transport system.

Check the school calendar here

What do you think? Are we putting the 2010 World Cup ahead of our futures education?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The Education Department has announced that next years South African school’s winter vacation period will be extended to ensure that schools are closed during the 2010 FIFA World Cup. This is to prevent pupil and teacher absenteeism during the matches, as well as lighten the load on the public transport system.

Check the school calendar here

What do you think? Are we putting the 2010 World Cup ahead of our futures education?
Is the total number of learning days the same?

EDIT - it is
The Education Department has confirmed the approval and gazetting of the school calendar, thus making the aforementioned dates official. The Department has however insured that there will still be the usual 195 school days during the course of the academic year, as per prescribed policy.
I can live with the adjustment.

Last edited:

poffle

Executive Member
School days are exactly the same. Its only 7 more days extra holiday? I really don't see the big deal. I see comments on there saying "Our future education" "Matric 2010". There's no difference in amount of school days and 1 week extra? Come on

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Only 5 days less than this years school calendar. But the June holidays span over a month!
My June holidays used to span three months. :)

Although it might inconvenience some parents - myself included - I think its a sensible compromise. Maybe I'll use the opportunity to rent out the house and take the family overseas for the month.

AMG133

Expert Member
Seems good to me, I wouldnt have stayed away if I was at school, plus brings down traffic volume etc...

KemoSabi

Matric 2010...too be honest in most schools the matrics dont have all that much classes anyway. So i doubt it will affect anything.

Nice for the kids, and a good call on the public transport. Can imagine schools around the Stadiums closing anyway out of their own if this wasnt called into action.

Imagine Boys High Pretoria, Girls High, AHS and AHMS etc. All literally right ontop of Loftus.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
They can now rent out the dorms and uni residences seeing there is going to be a shortage of accomodation.

I for one cannot fathom the possibilty of letting the hooligans stay at my place for a month. :eek:

Last edited: