2011 Currie Cup Thread - that other game starting soon...

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Comeback of champions that ..... had a feeling the Cheetah's would wilt in the 2nd half, it's damn damn hot and humid today.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
What a great win for the Sharks. Cheetahs never gave up and credit to them.

Stevie G

Banned
shocking performance from province, but lions deserved it because of their hunger, commitment and dedication

MickeyD

RIP
Was hoping someone would snap this moment!

Sharks+v+Cheetahs.jpg

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Nice, Wee Pee out of it. Gonna be a cool final to watch, may the best team take it and enjoy it!

killadoob

Honorary Master
shocking performance from province, but lions deserved it because of their hunger, commitment and dedication

You sure it was shocking from province and not pure awesome from the lions? The sharks should be worried i reckon, wow what a performance.

I thought with the boks back they may struggle today but wow they pwned today, perhaps province should have stuck with the guys who had done so well for them.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
You sure it was shocking from province and not pure awesome from the lions? The sharks should be worried i reckon, wow what a performance.

I thought with the boks back they may struggle today but wow they pwned today, perhaps province should have stuck with the guys who had done so well for them.

We're in a bit of shock today, lions fully deserve it.
Hope they take the cup.

Hopefully they get a full house.

Odd that the crappy super 15 teams are doing so well.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Not odd, they just had zero disruptions basically ..... zero disruptions means same lineup and the guys get to know each other well. I think the Lions not having significant Bok call-ups has solidified them as a team and I hope, no matter what happens in the final, that they take this through to the Super15. More SA teams pwning can only be a good thing.

killadoob

Honorary Master
On the other hand the sharks seem to be better with their boks, no doubt the lions are the best non bok team.

It will be interesting to see whether the bok influence can bring the sharkies home, i hope not. It would be nice for the lions to get something. It will attract big names because big names won't go to lower teams. They look so good but we shall see shortly :D.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Grats to the Lions. Now to be chomped and mauled by 'em Sharkies :twisted:

killadoob

Honorary Master
Grats to the Lions. Now to be chomped and mauled by 'em Sharkies :twisted:

Come on now dude, they have a good chance. Home final and a good team who don't need springboks to do well. Imagine when some good springboks sign for them they will be unstoppable.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Come on now dude, they have a good chance. Home final and a good team who don't need springboks to do well. Imagine when some good springboks sign for them they will be unstoppable.

100% agreed. The Lions passion on field today was inspiring.

Hoping to get tickets to watch the final. Me thinks it'll be epic.

I can still wish for a Sharks win ;)

APoc184

Honorary Master
In the post match interviews last night Joshua Strauss was asked if he would shave his beard if the Lions win the Currie Cup.

He said it is possible and that he is definitely thinking about it.

Was a bit disappointed with WP coach and captain. They did not even come up for the post match interviews. Just left after the game.

MickeyD

RIP
Was a bit disappointed with WP coach and captain. They did not even come up for the post match interviews. Just left after the game.
A major blow to their Bok coach/captaincy ambitions? Not that I would select either of them for those positions!

greg0205

Honorary Master
A major blow to their Bok coach/captaincy ambitions? Not that I would select either of them for those positions!

John Mitchell would be my man for the job but I'm not holding my breath for SA Rugby to make that call.
It's been a joy to watch the Lions this year... 1 to 22. Josh has been fantastic at captain, Elton just gets better and better at 10 and I think Jaco is the best 15 in the country right now... and... Been so great this year NOT having to say: "I'm shouting for the Bulls 'cos they also come from the Vaal but I'm really a Lions man."
Lions all the way next Saturday :D

APoc184

Honorary Master
I've said it on Twitter and I will say it again. History looks set to repeat itself with the new Bok coach. No Super Rugby experience and coached the BabyBoks means Dawie Theron might become the next Bok coach.

I am in agreement to a degree.
He is a great coach and did wonders with the Griquas. Turned average players into stars. Sarel Pretorius, Riaan Viljoen, Bjorn Basson are not players with pure talent like a Johan Goosen or a Pat Lambie. Theron coached those players and that is what we need as Bok coach, not a manager and 5 other coaches. But there is more to the job than just coaching and he didn't exactly win the Junior RWC loaded with stars this year. Not an excuse but the players did admit to not sticking to Theron's game plan and rather trying stuff on their own.

To sum it up:
Jake White will not be allowed to apply because of his Brumbies contract.
Heynecke Meyer said he will not apply.
John Mitchell said he will not apply.
Rassie Erasmus said numerous times he does not like the burden of head coach and would rather take a back seat as analyst.
PDivvy will not be signed again. Too much damage control needed when he speaks.
Naka Drotske just don't have it IMO.
John Plumtree. Yeah. I can't see that happening.
Jimmy Stonehouse. Although a good coach has no experience higher than Currie Cup.
Loffie Eloff. Did wonders at the Boland this year but can't see it happening. Did too much damage to his career at the Lions.

That leaves you with Naas Botha (Yes, he said he might apply), Allister Coetzee & Dawie Theron.

And yeah. What has Allister Coetzee/Rassie Erasmus achieved at the WP/Stormers with all the players and structures put in place by the WP cheque books? Sure the WPRU are be asking what they have to show for all the money spent over the last few years. Trophy cabinet is still empty.