2011 Currie Cup Thread - that other game starting soon...

undesign

Executive Member
The name Theron has a decidedly un-PDI ring to it...

Mind you, so does Coetzee :)

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
Gert Smal has also shown interest...

Any chance of a historic non-SA coach?

APoc184

Honorary Master

I'm pretty sure the Irish will make Small an offer he cannot refuse. He did great with the Irish pack this year and Ireland would probably want him to stay on and help with the new youngsters coming through. (Plenty of veteran Irish players going to retire or not make the squad next year)

I would of course like Nick Mallett to also be in the mix but not sure if he will apply.

MickeyD

RIP
I'm pretty sure the Irish will make Small an offer he cannot refuse. He did great with the Irish pack this year and Ireland would probably want him to stay on and help with the new youngsters coming through. (Plenty of veteran Irish players going to retire or not make the squad next year)

I would of course like Nick Mallett to also be in the mix but not sure if he will apply.
My #1 choice right now would be John Mitchell. Great to hear his views (on TV this morning).

killadoob

Honorary Master

Perhaps one that can make us run more than kick?

We have such awesome talent we could dominate like the all blacks if we ran more.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
My #1 choice right now would be John Mitchell. Great to hear his views (on TV this morning).

Agree. He's done wonders with the Lions and he's a solid, fuss-free coach.

I hope Rassie will consider being coach in the future. His record in work done has been impressive.

Stevie G

Banned
We really need a breath of fresh air in SA Rugby. John Mitchell would be the perfect candidate and will actually get us to play modern 15 man rugby and out of the old one dimensional rugby we still playing for the past 20 years. He will use all our talent in the country to the max and change our mentality in playing clever rugby. of course, we know that it will never happen in SA. we will never appoint a foreign coach due to our proud tradition history. our rugby will continue to suffer while the rest of the world goes ahead. look at Wales, Tonga and Japan, they all coached by a AB coaches. we need to wake up before we move further down the rankings.

Stevie G

Banned
I've said it on Twitter and I will say it again. History looks set to repeat itself with the new Bok coach. No Super Rugby experience and coached the BabyBoks means Dawie Theron might become the next Bok coach.

I am in agreement to a degree.
He is a great coach and did wonders with the Griquas. Turned average players into stars. Sarel Pretorius, Riaan Viljoen, Bjorn Basson are not players with pure talent like a Johan Goosen or a Pat Lambie. Theron coached those players and that is what we need as Bok coach, not a manager and 5 other coaches. But there is more to the job than just coaching and he didn't exactly win the Junior RWC loaded with stars this year. Not an excuse but the players did admit to not sticking to Theron's game plan and rather trying stuff on their own.

To sum it up:
Jake White will not be allowed to apply because of his Brumbies contract.
Heynecke Meyer said he will not apply.
John Mitchell said he will not apply.
Rassie Erasmus said numerous times he does not like the burden of head coach and would rather take a back seat as analyst.
PDivvy will not be signed again. Too much damage control needed when he speaks.
Naka Drotske just don't have it IMO.
John Plumtree. Yeah. I can't see that happening.
Jimmy Stonehouse. Although a good coach has no experience higher than Currie Cup.
Loffie Eloff. Did wonders at the Boland this year but can't see it happening. Did too much damage to his career at the Lions.

That leaves you with Naas Botha (Yes, he said he might apply), Allister Coetzee & Dawie Theron.

And yeah. What has Allister Coetzee/Rassie Erasmus achieved at the WP/Stormers with all the players and structures put in place by the WP cheque books? Sure the WPRU are be asking what they have to show for all the money spent over the last few years. Trophy cabinet is still empty.

wp's problems have always been upfront. instead of buying a quality front row and heinrich brussouw, province will not win the cc.
their was nobody at the breakdown. even schalk could not do it on his own.

APoc184

Honorary Master

Devill

Damned

Doubt SA will get a non SA coach just yet... wich in my opinion is sad. If the best man for the Job is from another country then so be it.

Good luck to the Lions for the Final.

I was mightely impressed with your performance this weekend past.

Last edited:

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Bit sad that the season is ending but hey, as long as the final is a cracker, I'm happy. Am looking forward to the team announcements later in the week ..... but for now I'm thinking the Sharks have the edge (naturally :p)

DWPTA

Expert Member
Mark Lawrence to ref the final. Thank goodness Jonker isn't handling the whistle.

Stevie G

Banned
I see Jacqui Fourie is off too Japan, pity that he have to go. he is our best centre in the country.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Fourie is only going until the end of the Japanese season. He will be back for Super Rugby duty at the Stormers next year.

Strange how some players complain about playing too much rugby and others can't play enough. $$$$ Talks.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Looking forward to the final. I'm sad that WP fell out but the lions took their opportunities better. I like the sharks but I think I'll be rooting for the Lions this time around.

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
The Final.

Like all other Currie Cup finals, the form book gets thrown out the window and the best team on the day will win.

Go SHARKS!

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I got tickets to see what promises to be an epic clash ... go Sharks!!!

APoc184

Honorary Master
Just confirmed by the GLRU.

Final is SOLD OUT!

Whoop whoop and I've got my media passes for the match. First final I will attend as media. Missed last year's due to honeymoon.