2012 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4T, to buy or not?

sable99

Hi All

I am interested in purchasing an Alfa Romeo Giuletta 1.4T progression.

Year: 2012
Mileage: 80000km
FSH
Price: 105000

The car looks amazing. But resale value and service costs /replacement parts may be too pricey.

Anyone with input on this/should I buy this car/ what I should buy instead?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Resale value? don't even bother talking about that. Look at other appealing factors of owning an Alfa, if you are thinking of resale value go and buy something else.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Buy it and enjoy it , you will loose money as the resale value is crap, but at least you will have a smile on your face , unless it breaks down lol

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Buy it and enjoy it , you will loose money as the resale value is crap, but at least you will have a smile on your face , unless it breaks down lol
Oh, it will break, at some point, things will not work, but when they do work, it will be great.

nazmo

Expert Member
Always thought the Mito 1.4 T was a beautiful car, but was too pricey when it came out.

I say yes, I got a car that "will trade in horribly" and its the best car decision I ever made, just make sure that it gets a good once over, in terms of turbo and other key things first.

asshat99

Expert Member
a true petrolhead.
Because of a brand? It is a generic FWD grocery getter. Fiat makes puntos that use the same engine.

AR coupes from the 80s maybe. This is just a sub-mediocre C seg hatch. Trying to impress a TV comedian is a terrible reason to buy a particular car. An actual enthusiast would look beyond the brand name.

Jchan11hk

I would skip the 1.4T Progression, it only has 88kW, try a 1.4T Distinctive, you will enjoy the 125kW. When you get that Giulietta, take it to Alfia Auto and change the turbo feed pipe and also do 15000 km oil change intervals, rather than that crazy 30000 km intervals.
If you can push for the QV it has 173kW, which is quite a bit more from your initiate choice of 88kW with not much difference in price

Last edited:

sable99

Thanks for your feedback. So I decided not to buy the car.

Yes the car is beautiful but from a cost perspective I am concerned about the resale value and prices of replacement parts etc.

I am now looking at:

Kia Rio 1.4 2012 model with 96000km
Hyundai i20 1.2 2015 model with 75000km

Similar price range, clueless which is a better option. Opinions welcomed

thechamp

Honorary Master
Thanks for your feedback. So I decided not to buy the car.

Yes the car is beautiful but from a cost perspective I am concerned about the resale value and prices of replacement parts etc.

I am now looking at:

Kia Rio 1.4 2012 model with 96000km
Hyundai i20 1.2 2015 model with 75000km

Similar price range, clueless which is a better option. Opinions welcomed
The Kia Rio, it's just a better car than the Hyundai.

Brawler

Honorary Master
The Kia Rio, it's just a better car than the Hyundai.
Pretty much the same thing.

If buying cash, I'd actually take a look and test drive that Alfa. They aren't nearly as bad as they used to be and on that particular model there is a ton of part sharing.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Pretty much the same thing.

If buying cash, I'd actually take a look and test drive that Alfa. They aren't nearly as bad as they used to be and on that particular model there is a ton of part sharing.
There is just no arguing against the resale value though.

Jchan11hk

Agreed, if you are concern about resale value, then Alfa, Volvo, Jaguar and French cars are just not for you.
Parts you can pretty much get it yourself from UK or Germany, which work out cheaper as well.

For the other cars that you have mentioned, I think Rio is slightly better. The Opel Astra are good cars as well, have a look.

nazmo

Expert Member
We bought my folks a Kia Rio 2012, full house. amazing car, lots of features, solidly built and good looking.

sable99

Thanks for all the info.

I plan to sell the car in about 3 years from now so resale value is a concern.

In terms of the Kia Rio, the car is in Cape Town and I am based in Jhb.

I plan on flying down to test drive and inspect the car.

If all is in order I will drive it back up.

Is this a good idea?

Or should I opt for the i20 which is here in jhb?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Who buys a car looking to resell it? I mean unless it's a rare/collectors item?

If that is really the plan, then buy the cheapest thing that meets your needs now.

A3@MBB

Thanks for all the info.

In terms of the Kia Rio, the car is in Cape Town and I am based in Jhb.

I plan on flying down to test drive and inspect the car.

If all is in order I will drive it back up.

Is this a good idea?

Or should I opt for the i20 which is here in jhb?
This is a first for me that a car in Cpt is cheaper than in Jhb. You sure the deal is legit?

sable99

The car is decently priced. Yes there are cheaper options in Jhb but they all look dodgy.

That being said it is the first time I am buying a car so I am nervous. I have checked the person on truecaller and their social media and business profile and they seem reputable.