2017 Currie Cup Rugby

greg0205

Honorary Master
Well played Lions
Second half was fantastic, even with the TMO disallowed tries... all four of them.

I thought Ross and Jaco were excellent and I like Andries more each time I watch him play. I'm thinking Rohan is looking better and better with each game and if Harold doesn't get a green jumper soon, I'm sending a harshly worded letter!

Also, can I just add, Cyle is a goddamn monster.

Finally, is there some scientific calculator I can buy that will help me work out why there isn't any chatter about Kwagga being a standby eight for the end of year tour? It confounds me.

Anyway, on to Newlands.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Good rugby this weekend. Not reading too much in to the WP win, although it will surely be a much needed shot in the arm after some average performances. The Bulls and Lions though, are suddenly looking very good! I cringe when Malcolm Marx is on the field because he is crucial to our chances on the EoYT. If he had to get injured now, it will be a huge setback.

If I had to call a final now, I think it will be Sharks/Lions.

Good rugby this weekend. Not reading too much in to the WP win, although it will surely be a much needed shot in the arm after some average performances. The Bulls and Lions though, are suddenly looking very good! I cringe when Malcolm Marx is on the field because he is crucial to our chances on the EoYT. If he had to get injured now, it will be a huge setback.

If I had to call a final now, I think it will be Sharks/Lions.
Wouldn't it be awesome if the Lions and Bulls won?? Can you say Currie Cup final at Ellis Park? :p

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Wouldn't it be awesome if the Lions and Bulls won?? Can you say Currie Cup final at Ellis Park? :p
If you'd said that a few weeks ago, there would've been men in white coats chasing you with butterfly nets and sticking you in a padded room with no windows. Now though, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. If I were a betting man, I might stick a few bob on that as I'm sure your odds wouldn't be bad!

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Blow for the Sharks. From rugby365.com

SHARKS CENTRE OUT FOR THE SEASON

INJURY UPDATE: SHARKS HEAD COACH ROBERT DU PREEZ CONFIRMED THAT CENTRE JEREMY WARD WILL PLAY NO PART IN THIS YEAR'S CURRIE CUP PLAY-OFFS.

Ward is on the sidelines with a broken collar bone and has been ruled out of action for the rest of the year.

The Sharks will also keep a close eye on Thomas du Toit and Jacques Vermeulen ahead of the semifinal clash against the Blue Bulls in Durban on Saturday.

Du Preez said the duo picked up "niggles" in the 20-31 loss to Western Province and they will be monitored.

The Sharks finished the regular season of the Currie Cup on top of the standings and they will host this year's final should they beat the Bulls at Kings Park.

Paige to leave Bulls for Lions - report

Afrikaans weekly newspaper, Rapport, reported on Sunday that the Lions had identified Paige as a suitable replacement for Faf de Klerk, who earlier this year left to play for English club Sale Sharks.

Paige was on the Lions' books earlier in his career, before joining the Bulls in 2012.

He will however be second choice at the Lions, as current Springbok scrumhalf incumbent Ross Cronje is also on the Johannesburg franchise’s books.

The 28-year-old Paige has played 11 Tests for the Springboks since making his debut against the Unites States of America at the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England.

Eight of his Tests appearances however came as a substitute.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/CurrieCup/paige-to-leave-bulls-for-lions-report-20171016

DanDango

Executive Member
Golden Lions

15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 13 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Jaco van der Walt, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Kwagga Smith, 7 Cyle Brink, 6 Len Massyn, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Jacques van Rooyen (captain)

Substitutes: 16 Robbie Coetzee, 17 Dylan Smith, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 Rhyno Herbst, 20 Marco Jansen van Vuuren, 21 Sylvian Mahuza, 22 Ashlon Davids, 23 Robert Kruge

DanDango

Executive Member
WP

15 Dillyn Leyds, 14 Seabelo Senatla, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Huw Jones, 11 Ruhan Nel, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Kobus van Dyk, 6 Jaco Coetzee, 5 JD Schickerling, 4 Chris van Zyl (captain), 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg

Substitutes: 16 Ramone Samuels, 17 Ali Vermaak, 18 Frans van Wyk, 19 Jan de Klerk, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Jano Vermaak, 22 Werner Kok, 23 Damian Willemse

mbayshark

Expert Member
Sharks coach Robert du Preez has named his team for the semi final clash against the Blue Bulls this weekend, opting to make a few changes from the dead rubber against Western Province last weekend.

The tight five is left unchanged, Ruan Botha leading the team from the second row. In the loosies, Jean-Luc du Preez joins brother Daniel and the other Daniel (Keegan), with Jacques Vermeulen having to settle for a bench spot.

Mike Claassens drops to the bench in favour of Louis Schreuder getting the start inside Curwin Bosch. Odwa Ndungane, after the fan fare last weekend, will have to settle for getting his 250th cap from the bench as Kobus van Wyk gets the start.

Onto the bench, Chiliboy misses out completely with Akker van der Merwe coming on as cover. The extended bench (23 man squad for the semi final while the rest of the competition saw only 22 man squads) allows for a full front row on the wood and both Juan Schoeman and John-Hubert Meyer is likely to see action.

15. Garth April
14. Kobus van Wyk
13. Lukhanyo Am
12. Marius Louw
11. S’busiso Nkosi
10. Curwin Bosch
9. Louis Schreuder
8. Daniel du Preez
7. Jean-Luc du Preez
6. Keegan Daniel
5. Ruan Botha (c)
4. Tyler Paul
3. Ross Geldenhuys
2. Franco Marais
1. Thomas du Toit

Replacements
16. Akker van der Merwe
17. Juan Schoeman
18. John-Hubert Meyer
19. Jean Droste
20. Jacques Vermeulen
21. Michael Claassens
22. Tristan Blewett
23. Odwa Ndungane
Source: Sharksworld

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Happy with that team, very happy. Looking forward to the game and will be shouting myself hoarse for the guys to win.

Badprop_za

Expert Member
I see the Lions have made a statement that they are not interested in Paige.......truth will be revealed soon I guess.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Golden Lions CEO Rudolf Straeuli has denied reports that the union is set to sign Bulls scrumhalf Rudy Paige.

Rapport newspaper on Sunday claimed that the Lions had identified Paige as a suitable replacement for Faf de Klerk, who left for English club Sale after Super Rugby.
http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/lions-not-interested-in-paige

Gotta feel for any okes who go through this in full view of joe public, surely they can confirm and deny shyte behind doors :wtf:

DanDango

Executive Member
Five young gems unearthed in this year’s Currie Cup

https://citizen.co.za/sport/south-africa-sport/sa-rugby-sport/1696021/five-young-gems-unearthed-in-this-years-currie-cup/

Five young gems unearthed in this year’s Currie Cup

We identify the most exciting youngsters to emerge in 2017.

They must be 21 or younger to qualify.

Sbu Nkosi (Winger, The Sharks)

The broader South African rugby public was introduced to this precocious talent during Super Rugby already.

But it’s been his dominance in the Currie Cup that has really grabbed the headlines.

The powerfully built Nkosi has been simply magnificent.

He’s scored eight tries in this campaign, gained 802 running metres and made 15 linebreaks.

Yet the best is that he’s tackle completion rate is a superb 89%.

Nkosi is indeed a complete modern winger and it’s little surprise he’s attracted the Springboks’ attention.

Len Massyn (Flanker, Lions)

The tireless loose forward pips his teammate Marco Janse van Vuren, who plays scrumhalf, because he’s so remarkably consistent.

Despite only being elevated late in the campaign, this 20-year-old has made his mark.

Skillful as a ball-carrier, he’s a versatile attacker with an ability to ghost past defenders though his hands need to improve.

That said, it’s been his sound defence that marks him out as one for the future.

For a team who’s had it’s hiccups with tackling this year, Massyn has found it easy to stop opponents.

Cobus Wiese (Flanker, Western Province)

South African rugby has been crying out for a Danie Rossouw ever since he retired in 2011.

The successful Springbok sides of 2004 to 2009 were characterised by his magnificent versatlity – a man who could play lock, flank and No 8.

Thankfully there are signs that 20-year-old Wiese, a former Junior Springbok, could become a man of similar stature.

His 1.97m, 103kg frame are the ideal dimensions for a jack of all trades.

Jasper Wiese (Flanker, Free State Cheetahs)

Oh brother! There’s two of them?

You bet!

While not quite as well known as his younger sibling, Jasper was one of the finds of the tournament for the Cheetahs.

There wasn’t a lot to be positive about their depth when a B- and C-team had to do duty in the absence of the Pro14 stars but at least they had Wiese.

He’s far more compact that Cobus in terms of his body yet that means he can easily get around the park.

Jasper has proven to be a pest at the breakdowns, a fine ball-carrier and a superb defender.

He’ll be knocking on the Pro14 door soon.

Ruben van Heerden (Lock, Blue Bulls)

There’s Springbok written all over this 19-year-old tower.

Throw in at the deep end because of lack of options at lock, this Junior Springbok has exceeded everyone’s expectations.

Director of rugby John Mitchell demands conditioned athletes capable of consistently delivering intense performances for the full 80 minutes.

Van Heerden has passed the new training regime with flying colours.

He’s already an astute line-out organiser, surprisingly athletic in attacking play and a bone-crunching tackler, who has a completion rate of 92%.

What a beast!

greg0205

Honorary Master
Ugh... Got the times mixed up. Thought my Lions were playing at 2:30, but there's some team in blue playing some other team in black... Anyone know who they are?