• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

2017 Kia Stinger GT

FiestaST

Honorary Master
So, their gauging of market interest was a complete joke?
I don't think so. It would have been to see how many people would express "interest" in the vehicle without knowing any (accurate) projected price. Then they went back to HQ & ran the numbers & some months later decided on R860k.

But they made it's clear it's a low volume car being brought in, limited number of units. Only sold thru an online portal, not a showroom.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I don't think so. It would have been to see how many people would express "interest" in the vehicle without knowing any (accurate) projected price. Then they went back to HQ & ran the numbers & some months later decided on R860k.

But they made it's clear it's a low volume car being brought in, limited number of units. Only sold thru an online portal, not a showroom.
But that is the problem...

I would have expressed interest in the product without a price... but in my head around R650k - R750k would have been a price I'd pay for a Kia... R865k is not even remotely a price point I'd consider pay for a Kia, I would consider a proper luxury marque at that price point.

ubercal

Expert Member

I would have expressed interest in the product without a price... but in my head around R650k - R750k would have been a price I'd pay for a Kia... R865k is not even remotely a price point I'd consider pay for a Kia, I would consider a proper luxury marque at that price point.
People should stop with sterotypes and perceptions.Maybe its a really good car thats the equal of the big germans :whistling: Just because its says "Kia" doesnt automatically mean its not worth the money.Just saying.

rietrot

Executive Member

This is obviously not aimed at you then. If you care that much about a brand name you would never have bought a KIA in the first place.

Sure it is overpriced, but all new car are and people still buy new cars, which is completely stupid.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
This thing is quicker than my (admittedly 15 year old) AMG. That is seriously impressive. The numbers on this look great. I guess it comes down now to refinement, luxuries etc to justify the price.

And as for that post above - feel free to compare ANY car sold ANYWHERE else to the price here. Our government pulls the ring out through excise/duties.

ubercal

Expert Member
This is obviously not aimed at you then. If you care that much about a brand name you would never have bought a KIA in the first place.

Sure it is overpriced, but all new car are and people still buy new cars, which is completely stupid.
Exactly , whats this obsession with the germans cars.My biggest issue with the luxury germans brands , are how boring they look.Why must i pay upwards of 600k for a car that lacks zero personality , and every 2nd tom dick and harry drives.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Isn't that because our high import tax? I heard somewhere that all our cars are more expensive because of this comparatively.
Yes
And to add, brands like MB and VAG are able to sell slightly cheaper here, because they export cars manufactured here for credits against imports of other models.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

I drive a 20 year old screwed up double cab so I'm not concerned with Brand name.. hell I'm thinking of getting another car next year and I've been looking at the Chinese from a value for money point of view...

But there is a perceived quality aspect that exists in our car market place... and KIA is not on the same level as the Germans in that perceived quality, so will struggle immensely to sell this vehicle at that price range.

For all I know in reality the Kia may be an equal to the Germans at the same price point, but in our car culture they will struggle to prove that if they don't have this vehicle in showrooms for people to see.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I drive a 20 year old screwed up double cab so I'm not concerned with Brand name.. hell I'm thinking of getting another car next year and I've been looking at the Chinese from a value for money point of view...

But there is a perceived quality aspect that exists in our car market place... and KIA is not on the same level as the Germans in that perceived quality, so will struggle immensely to sell this vehicle at that price range.

For all I know in reality the Kia may be an equal to the Germans at the same price point, but in our car culture they will struggle to prove that if they don't have this vehicle in showrooms for people to see.
In a nutshell the SA car buying public are badge snobs.

Simple.

ubercal

Expert Member
I guess the i30N will have the same problem if it comes to SA.That little hatch is really impressive + it looks good.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I guess the i30N will have the same problem if it comes to SA.That little hatch is really impressive + it looks good.
Different segment of the market, but if they price it high then yeah it will...

To get traction on that vehicle I would price it 5% below its intended competition....

Except it will be a hard sell regardless, because the buyers for the Golf GTI are generally set on that vehicle from its "status" point of view.