2017 Mazda CX-5 (Gen 2)

TedLasso

Expert Member
I have been dealing with Woodmead. This issue happened twice so far. The first time the didn't even create a job card when I took it in. The gentleman behind the desk was a bit rude. The second time the lady was very helpful.

They couldn't find anything on the diagnostics seeing that the light was off by the time I got to them, which I find extremely odd. The told me to just monitor jt.
This is why it's so worrying about these fancy cars (all makes nowadays). These mechanics operate like IT technicians. Turn it off and on again hoping it should solve problem .. nobody knows how to do proper troubleshooting/diagnostics. :(

AsteriskUser

I think the DP’s name is Rob, try see if you can speak to him, he was quite straight with me. Even told me to log a complaint with Mazda about the car so they had grounds to replace of if it came to that.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda pushes back launch of all-new CX-5 platform to 2023

Mazda has pushed back the launch of its new large-vehicle platform to 2023, which suggests the next-generation CX-5 won’t hit the market before then.

Speaking to Automotive News, Mazda CEO Akira Marumoto confirmed the delay.

“We thought about the scalability of electrification technologies in the future, and we found if we stayed with the planned architecture as it was, we may get in trouble. So we decided to make a change,” he said.

Marumoto went on to reveal the platform – which he said would underpin “the CX-5 and above” (so, also the CX-8 and CX-9, plus the rumoured-to-return CX-7) – would be able to accommodate a four-cylinder engine, an inline six-cylinder engine and some sort of plug-in hybrid powertrain. Expect a Skyactiv-X unit and a 48-volt mild hybrid version of the inline-six to be included, too.

SWAT

I have the 2.0 Active Auto.
24000 km done. Previous vehicle 2015 Ford Kuga 1.5 Turbo
Observations :
1. I have not driven the 2.2D, but that must be the one to have
2. Noticed a vibration at 10 000 km between 3500 and 4000 revs, technician says V Belt tensioner, seems like none issue
3. Handling - mid corner bumps unsettles the rear, which unsettles mine.
4. Software on auto box- hate it when it kicks down to 4th when speedo cruise is on, I spend most of my time in manual mode when travelling long distances
5. Auto levelling headlights- When I received vehicle the brights were set to high. Had that attended to with 15000 service. Brights now perfect, dims to low. I know probably legislation in some countries driving this technology, but would be better with manual adjustment. I will take it back with 30 000 service to have the dims adjusted up and then avoid using brights.

spargish

This is why it's so worrying about these fancy cars (all makes nowadays). These mechanics operate like IT technicians. Turn it off and on again hoping it should solve problem .. nobody knows how to do proper troubleshooting/diagnostics. :(
Yip.... Not many old school mechanics around anymore

My sister had a similar issue with a check engine light on her CX-3. Initially took it to a dealership when it happened and their answer was it was just the key's battery....

A few days later on the way to Harties the car starts its crap again but this time losing power. roadside assist then towed the car to the Randfontein dealership as it was the closest. Luckily the service manager there was an old school mechanic and he picked up that the issue was being caused by a loose battery terminal. Half a year on and the issue has never reappeared.

dayav07

My sister had a similar issue with a check engine light on her CX-3. Initially took it to a dealership when it happened and their answer was it was just the key's battery....

A few days later on the way to Harties the car starts its crap again but this time losing power. roadside assist then towed the car to the Randfontein dealership as it was the closest. Luckily the service manager there was an old school mechanic and he picked up that the issue was being caused by a loose battery terminal. Half a year on and the issue has never reappeared.
This is exactly what happened to my CX-5!

AsteriskUser

I have the 2.0 Active Auto.
24000 km done. Previous vehicle 2015 Ford Kuga 1.5 Turbo
Observations :
1. I have not driven the 2.2D, but that must be the one to have
2. Noticed a vibration at 10 000 km between 3500 and 4000 revs, technician says V Belt tensioner, seems like none issue
3. Handling - mid corner bumps unsettles the rear, which unsettles mine.
4. Software on auto box- hate it when it kicks down to 4th when speedo cruise is on, I spend most of my time in manual mode when travelling long distances
5. Auto levelling headlights- When I received vehicle the brights were set to high. Had that attended to with 15000 service. Brights now perfect, dims to low. I know probably legislation in some countries driving this technology, but would be better with manual adjustment. I will take it back with 30 000 service to have the dims adjusted up and then avoid using brights.

The 2.2D awd is the one, I have thrown it I to corners pretty quickly and never felt loose or out of control, even in tipping rain if you floor it the traction is unreal.

I’m still not used to the diesel sound so half the time I feel like the car is broken because it sounds terrible but I guess that’s just diesel.

Brieuse

Expert Member
I would avoid the 19 inch rims option . Had a puncture in sidewall over Christmas. 225/55 19 99v completely sold out , twt found me last two tyres at warehouse but had to wait for them to reopen after Christmas. Original oem tyres are R4700 each, Michelins are R3700 each

Superman-7

Happened on my wife's CX3 as well. Started the car one morning and the engine light came on. Took it to the dealer who could find no fault. Issue disappeared after that. Probably the same cause - loose battery terminal.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
As a barb to those on the forum who write off plain old fashioned mechanics and others who know about engines, it is them that always look and check ALL the obvious things instead of relying on the computer analysis. Because 9/10 the issues are simple. Just one question would solve it. "did you have the battery replaced recently?"
Very few battery replacement centres tighten terminals properly.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I would avoid the 19 inch rims option . Had a puncture in sidewall over Christmas. 225/55 19 99v completely sold out , twt found me last two tyres at warehouse but had to wait for them to reopen after Christmas. Original oem tyres are R4700 each, Michelins are R3700 each
Out in the bundus were you?
Or at Langebaan?
Ditto for 17" hard to find in out of the way places, hence my two spares.

KOPITE

Executive Member
The 2.2D awd is the one, I have thrown it I to corners pretty quickly and never felt loose or out of control, even in tipping rain if you floor it the traction is unreal.

I’m still not used to the diesel sound so half the time I feel like the car is broken because it sounds terrible but I guess that’s just diesel.
So you traded it your 2017 NA model for the newer 2019 2.2D Auto?

Yeah, it does take time to get use to the diesel sound especially when idling. I've recently put in 235/55/19 on my 2015 2.2D. Driving is more stable and solid on the road. Abit sluggish, but the diesel turbo makes up for it

KOPITE

Executive Member
Why don't you get 235/55/19. It's way more available everywhere, more selection and cheaper. You could also go 245x50x19, but it's bloody hard to find and pricy.

I've replaced my Toyos with 67k's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

Brieuse

Expert Member
Why don't you get 235/55/19. It's way more available everywhere, more selection and cheaper. You could also go 245x50x19, but it's bloody hard to find and pricy.

I've replaced my Toyos with 67k's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

I only needed two, the 235’s were a bit cheaper too . Not like I was out in the bundus, I was in joburg

AsteriskUser

So you traded it your 2017 NA model for the newer 2019 2.2D Auto?

Yeah, it does take time to get use to the diesel sound especially when idling. I've recently put in 235/55/19 on my 2015 2.2D. Driving is more stable and solid on the road. Abit sluggish, but the diesel turbo makes up for it

I didn’t trade a 2017, I bought the 2018. I heard changing the stock tire sizes can mess with the gear ratios, maybe that’s why it’s sluggish?

plakkie

I have the 2.5 petrol and its pairing to the auto box also has this behavior. It can sometimes be slightly annoying as it will always try be in the highest gear possible and then kick down from 6th to 4th or from 5th to 3rd as soon as you want to get some acceleration going which tends to not be a very smooth operation.

I switched to 235/55/R19 Goodyear Excellence @ R10k for a set of 4. It made the ride much better but the 19" rims still make for a harder ride that some of its competitors.

I didn’t trade a 2017, I bought the 2018. I heard changing the stock tire sizes can mess with the gear ratios, maybe that’s why it’s sluggish?
After 10,000km on the new tyres I haven't really noticed much difference except around 0.5L/100km fuel consumption increase which may be due to gear ratios and the larger tyres. Car is now going on 87,000 km I am averaging 9L/100km normal driving and around 10.5L/100km towing.

KOPITE

Executive Member
I switched to 235/55/R19 Goodyear Excellence @ R10k for a set of 4. It made the ride much better but the 19" rims still make for a harder ride that some of its competitors.

After 10,000km on the new tyres I haven't really noticed much difference except around 0.5L/100km fuel consumption increase which may be due to gear ratios and the larger tyres. Car is now going on 87,000 km I am averaging 9L/100km normal driving and around 10.5L/100km towing.

I actually don't feel the extra fuel increase, I get 8L/100km on normal driving and just over 8 if I really drive like a POS.

So you also have the auto box in your 2.5L. I was worried the 1.5% difference in increase diameter will damage the transmission, but so far so good.

My next project is spacers now, 20mm in front and 25mm in rear. I know that this will wear out bearings in the long term, but I drive normally and the occasional speeding. I've seen pics on the Mazda forum how good they look with spacers. Deriam is making them and costing about 3k

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Changing tyre sizes influences things like the accuracy of speedometers and odometers. It has a very small effect on performance. No, there is another reason for sluggish performance, such as the choice of automatic transmission.
What power and torque is available and what type of transmission is installed?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I actually don't feel the extra fuel increase, I get 8L/100km on normal driving and just over 8 if I really drive like a POS.

So you also have the auto box in your 2.5L. I was worried the 1.5% difference in increase diameter will damage the transmission, but so far so good.

My next project is spacers now, 20mm in front and 25mm in rear. I know that this will wear out bearings in the long term, but I drive normally and the occasional speeding. I've seen pics on the Mazda forum how good they look with spacers. Deriam is making them and costing about 3k

Spacers? Explain please? The only reason for installing spacers on the wheels is to restore/improve the C/L of the wheel in relation to bearings when changing rims. If just for cosmetic looks then reconsider the idea.