2017 Mazda CX-5 (Gen 2)

SWAT

Makes you wonder about the 100 and something point checks they always say they do if they could not pick up all these faults but it could be picked up after you bought it.
At least you sorted.

unobeat

Makes you wonder about the 100 and something point checks they always say they do if they could not pick up all these faults but it could be picked up after you bought it.
At least you sorted.
Yep

It goes to show that when one goes out to buy a 2nd car, never ever take the word of the salesperson no matter how good the deal might sound.

Rather take the extra precaution to do more investigation to check out the car and spend extra money to make sure that you are not buying a lemon of a car be it financed or cash deal.

Tomorrow i need to go and fight now for my deposit that i paid to be returned as the dealership is claiming that they will charge me for some unknown admin fees.

Matt91

Expert Member
Bunch of Nigerians selling cars out of Jeppestown, what could possibly go wrong.

The Voice

Executive Member
Yeah remember issues I had with the Jazz I bought from Honda Bedfordview. Being an official dealer I expected a lot more from them. I randomly decided to do a thorough background check on the vehicle one day after things started going weird (the adhesive they used to stick the side skirt on had worn out - the OEM clips had been broken off long before, and the skirt was dangling off the car when I was walking to the car park after work one day) and found that they'd bought it on auction for half the price I was paying for it.

Shaun108

Executive Member
Yeah remember issues I had with the Jazz I bought from Honda Bedfordview. Being an official dealer I expected a lot more from them. I randomly decided to do a thorough background check on the vehicle one day after things started going weird (the adhesive they used to stick the side skirt on had worn out - the OEM clips had been broken off long before, and the skirt was dangling off the car when I was walking to the car park after work one day) and found that they'd bought it on auction for half the price I was paying for it.
Yoh that's a ripoff of note. What did you do after that?

The Voice

Executive Member
Yoh that's a ripoff of note. What did you do after that?
Happened like 2 years after I bought it from them - not much I could do at that stage, unfortunately. Even tried going through MFC who were financing it but they weren't interested as long as they were getting their money. Turns out Honda Bedfordview has an extensive history of similar **** along with bad service.

But, as this is a Mazda thread, back on topic. My 2017 Mazda3 is being delivered on Wednesday. Full service history, MOT, background check completed through RAC, and 17k kilometers on the clock. I was put off by the brand for a while, but turned out all their problems were caused by them sharing their platforms with Ford, and also because of the Jatco auto transmissions they used (I'm getting an auto btw). Things have improved vastly since they took everything in-house a few years ago (including transmissions). Hell, even Scotty changed his mind!

TRZ214

Happened like 2 years after I bought it from them - not much I could do at that stage, unfortunately. Even tried going through MFC who were financing it but they weren't interested as long as they were getting their money. Turns out Honda Bedfordview has an extensive history of similar **** along with bad service.

But, as this is a Mazda thread, back on topic. My 2017 Mazda3 is being delivered on Wednesday. Full service history, MOT, background check completed through RAC, and 17k kilometers on the clock. I was put off by the brand for a while, but turned out all their problems were caused by them sharing their platforms with Ford, and also because of the Jatco auto transmissions they used (I'm getting an auto btw). Things have improved vastly since they took everything in-house a few years ago (including transmissions). Hell, even Scotty changed his mind!
Funny you brought this up. I notice they closed down a few months back.

I had a 2009 Honda Civic hatchback. The "H" emblem fell out of the front "grill" and they had to replace the whole sealed unit. I was very happy they agreed to cover it under warranty.

The next day I noticed my aircon wasn't working. Made an appointment with the workshop foreman on the same day. He opened the hood and lo and behold there was a massive hole in one of the aircon pipes. Just so happened to be right in the area where they worked on the car (on the inside) when they replaced the front "grill".

The guy says "listen boet, that wasn't done by one of our guys. This car has clearly been in an accident and they didn't replace that pipe". It hadn't. I owned it from new and was working perfectly until they cocked it up.

No such thing as a free "grill". So long, suckers!

Edit: sorry for the further derail. my bad.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda developing a CX-50 to replace CX-5?

While we await the belated arrival of the CX-30 compact family car in South Africa, Mazda is reportedly planning to unveil a CX-50 (possibly based on an all-new platform) that will either replace – or complement – the award-winning CX-5.

Japanese website Spyder7 recently reported that Mazda had registered a whole string of names from "CX-10" through to "CX-90" with the European Patent Office, which suggests that the Hiroshima-based firm is planning to roll out a host of more stylised, coupe-like crossovers (as well as replacements for its various current SUV ranges). It does makes sense… with the traditional sedan and hatchback markets dwindling, Mazda is evidently seeking to futureproof its product line (at least as best as it can).

But whereas the coupe-SUV variants of (primarily European) brands’ off-roader-inspired products have usually been complementary; what the Mercedes-Benz GLC Coupe is to the GLC, the BMW X4 is to the X3 and the Audi Q3 Sportback is to the Audi Q3 (different body shapes based on identical platforms), Mazda has followed a somewhat different, more improvisational formula with its CX models...

Render 1.jpgRender 2.jpg

unobeat

So i have realised that those cars from JHB dealerships are actually accident damaged cars. I did however find a neat 2016 CX5 individual auti with 58 000km from a dealer in JHB yesterday when i was about to give up selling it for 260k and told the owner i wil him know if i am taking it After my horrible experience with my previous purchase.

I then spotted this 2018 Mazda CX-5 with 25 000km at Suzuki in Montana Park selling for R299 999 but it was manual which was a deal breaker as we need an auto.

The sales person at Suzuki called up Dot Auto as we saw this neat CX-5 by them and said that it has 2 finance approvals awaiting and not available. So Dot Auto called me today to check if i am still interested and i quickly rushed there to view which then somar decided that we proceed with paper work.

I managed to secure the 2017 Mazda CX-5 dynamic Auto which has 46 000km with full service history, service & owners books and spare keys.

I am super happy with the deal.
We picking it up tomorrow and the wife is super happy.

They gave excellent customer service.

AsteriskUser

I got mine from Suzuki Alberton, I won’t say I’m super happy with them, I had endless issues with the vehicle in the beginning stages of ownership, to the point where I wanted to take it back to them and say just refund me because my engine light was popping on and off all the time issues with over filled oil in the crank case, long story short it was because of a bad injector but it took months to find that out and only because I started taking it to mazda woodmead, they the only ones that seem to know what’s going on.

The sales person at Alberton did little to nothing to sort the issue out. I only got referred to woodmead because the DP knew the woodmead DP and trusted him. Needless to say I won’t be spending R600k on a another Mazda any time soon, when this one goes I’ll probably bid farewell to the brand.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
REVIEW | Mazda's CX-5 is a bit long in the tooth, but still makes a relevant point

• Mazda's CX-5 2.2DE AWD Akera gets reviewed by the Wheels24 team.

• The CX-5 is one of the cornerstone SUVs in its segment.

• In 2019, Mazda refreshed the CX-5's interior.

In summary

The Mazda CX-5 may be one of the longest-serving SUVs in its segment, but there are several points to make it relevant against its newer rivals. From the enticing exterior design to the spacious and well-equipped cabin, this Mazda makes a good case for itself.

Yes, some factors count against it, but those are the minority.

In all, the Mazda CX-5 is still a relevant vehicle in its segment and deserves a second look if you are in the market for an accomplished SUV.

The CX-5 2.2DE AWD Akera retails for R634 000 and comes standard with a three-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty and three-year/unlimited km service plan.

k@vi

Has anyone taken out the extended warranty with Mazda? Any idea on the price? FNB currently has First Warranty via Wesbank available at R199 per month.

My current warranty comes to an end in a few months so looking at various options.

unobeat

@k@vi
Unfortunately when i bought my CX-5 now in August 2020, the warranty had just expired in July 2020.

So i took out a 24 month(unlimited kilometers) AA Evolve warranty just for piece of mind ecen though i don't think i will have any issues with the car as it is solid.