2017 Mazda CX-5 (Gen 2)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda CX-5’s new 10,25-inch display not on the cards for SA-spec models

Mazda Southern Africa says it has no plans introduce the new 10,25-inch display recently rolled out to the CX-5 in some overseas markets.

The Japanese firm’s division in North America recently handed the midsize SUV its “largest-ever infotainment display”. Interestingly, Mazda has eschewed the industry trend towards touchscreens, instead employing a rotary controller and a screen sited deep atop the facia (effectively minimising eye re-focus time).

The new 10,25-inch central display features the latest Mazda Connect infotainment interface and comes standard with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capabilities. From what we can tell, the system is similar to that introduced in the latest Mazda3, although the latter’s screen diagonal is 8,8 inches.

CX-5.JPG

The Voice

Honorary Master
I quite like the move from Mazda in keeping cars all about driving, and not adding more distractions like iPad Pro-size infotainment screens. My 2017 Mazda3 automatically disables the touch screen as soon as I pull off, and even added GPS information to the HUD so that I don't need to move my eyes more than a few mm to see where I need to turn.

Can't help but think how many car accidents have been caused by people fiddling with their infotainmemt screens while they were meant to be concentrating on the road in front of them.

unobeat

@The Voice
Same goes for my CX-5, the touch screen is also disabled when the car is in motion.

Love everything about the CX-5 as is and looking forward to a looong relationship motoring experience.

AsteriskUser

I quite like the move from Mazda in keeping cars all about driving, and not adding more distractions like iPad Pro-size infotainment screens. My 2017 Mazda3 automatically disables the touch screen as soon as I pull off, and even added GPS information to the HUD so that I don't need to move my eyes more than a few mm to see where I need to turn.

Can't help but think how many car accidents have been caused by people fiddling with their infotainmemt screens while they were meant to be concentrating on the road in front of them.

Would be nice if that gps info would also work with google maps/waze. It was nice to have the speed limit icon and the turn signs in the HUD but when you put in an android auto/Apple car play system it no longer works. Well for me at least anyone have it working on theirs?

The Voice

Honorary Master
Would be nice if that gps info would also work with google maps/waze. It was nice to have the speed limit icon and the turn signs in the HUD but when you put in an android auto/Apple car play system it no longer works. Well for me at least anyone have it working on theirs?
Ah that sucks! I haven't done the Android Auto upgrade yet, but not having the speed limit indicator is going to be a bummer, especially here in the UK (who the **** decided that 20mph was a good idea?!) - still "learning" what mph "feels" like, so having the beep whenever I go over is handy.

AsteriskUser

Ah that sucks! I haven't done the Android Auto upgrade yet, but not having the speed limit indicator is going to be a bummer, especially here in the UK (who the **** decided that 20mph was a good idea?!) - still "learning" what mph "feels" like, so having the beep whenever I go over is handy.

Having waze and or Apple Music playing etc is nice but I’m finding myself having to unplug and re-plug my phone in and or having to restart my car sometimes because the audio is buggy af. It goes into this mode where the volume knob does nothing it stays at the same volume and only plays from the passenger side speakers, it’s very irritating. Wish mazda would release patches for the infotainment system. I wonder if I can self upgrade if I connect to WiFi.

neoprema

Executive Member
I've ordered a 2020 2.5. I had the 2.0 and its nice but I needed a bit more power. I didn't want to switch to another vehicle as apart from needing some oomph it really is an amazing vehicle, I love driving it and being in it.

K213N

I've ordered a 2020 2.5. I had the 2.0 and its nice but I needed a bit more power. I didn't want to switch to another vehicle as apart from needing some oomph it really is an amazing vehicle, I love driving it and being in it.
Nice! The 2.5 is super rare in SA

Brieuse

Expert Member
REVIEW | Mazda's CX-5 is a bit long in the tooth, but still makes a relevant point

• Mazda's CX-5 2.2DE AWD Akera gets reviewed by the Wheels24 team.

• The CX-5 is one of the cornerstone SUVs in its segment.

• In 2019, Mazda refreshed the CX-5's interior.

In summary

The Mazda CX-5 may be one of the longest-serving SUVs in its segment, but there are several points to make it relevant against its newer rivals. From the enticing exterior design to the spacious and well-equipped cabin, this Mazda makes a good case for itself.

Yes, some factors count against it, but those are the minority.

In all, the Mazda CX-5 is still a relevant vehicle in its segment and deserves a second look if you are in the market for an accomplished SUV.

The CX-5 2.2DE AWD Akera retails for R634 000 and comes standard with a three-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty and three-year/unlimited km service plan.

Weird how a vehicle like this is a bit long in the tooth. I have a CX5 , its doing everything for me they promised me it would.

unobeat

@Brieuse

Same here
Only a month into ownership and so far we are loving it and cannot fault it at all.

Looking forward to a looong relationship withthe vehicle.

@FiestaST
Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
I am curious

FiestaST

Honorary Master
It's mostly due to typos (often), delayed & inaccurate reporting.

Lastly many of the journos comes across as more biased to particular set of brands.

I know the site is incredibly popular but it's hardly the most reputable source of information.

unobeat

It's mostly due to typos (often), delayed & inaccurate reporting.

Lastly many of the journos comes across as more biased to particular set of brands.

I know the site is incredibly popular but it's hardly the most reputable source of information.
Good valid points.
Thank you

unobeat

Seems i will need to do a claim from my warranty as the Passenger mirror motor is faulty.
It does not close fully when you lock the car, but it does if i use the button inside the car and i even tried to lube the motor using Q20.

This passenger side mirror motor has been acting up since we got the car and at least the warranty covers it.
Now to book it in as the Manufacture warranty expired in July 2020.

AsteriskUser

Seems i will need to do a claim from my warranty as the Passenger mirror motor is faulty.
It does not close fully when you lock the car, but it does if i use the button inside the car and i even tried to lube the motor using Q20.

This passenger side mirror motor has been acting up since we got the car and at least the warranty covers it.
Now to book it in as the Manufacture warranty expired in July 2020.

I’ve already had both sides replaced under warranty. It was fine but after a car wash it always stopped working properly, the left one specifically wouldn’t fully close and then I would have to almost reset it by pulling it backwards and it made a horrible sound. Told mazda they were dodgy, got my car back after a service and they had washed it and it was having that issue so I showed the service manager and he said cool book it in again we will replace both sides.

Really kak design I’m afraid. To counteract it usually lock my mirrors open when having a car wash then hours later after the mechanism is dry I then unlock them again and allow them to fold.

unobeat

I’ve already had both sides replaced under warranty. It was fine but after a car wash it always stopped working properly, the left one specifically wouldn’t fully close and then I would have to almost reset it by pulling it backwards and it made a horrible sound. Told mazda they were dodgy, got my car back after a service and they had washed it and it was having that issue so I showed the service manager and he said cool book it in again we will replace both sides.

Really kak design I’m afraid. To counteract it usually lock my mirrors open when having a car wash then hours later after the mechanism is dry I then unlock them again and allow them to fold.

Thank you for the detailed info.
It seems they are finicky.