2017 Mazda CX-5 (Gen 2)

Saajid123

Hi Guys not sure if the thread is still active, did a lot of reading through this forum and others before i finaly took the leap and got myself an Active 2.0 CX5. What attracted my attention was the skyactive and emphasis placed on fuel economy, question here though, I got it brand new (first brand new car) and the salesmen told me that the consumption would be high until around 3000km, I just wanted to find out from guys who actualy own the vehicle if this is true, ive done about 1800km and im no stranger to cars that are thirsty, coming from a GTI and an F30 yet this CX5 seems to be on par if not worse in consumption.

Before you guys say it, I drive in what you may call semi traffic to work and back daily. It was pretty obvious i was going for a family vehicle and my driving habits have adapted, rarely going above 4000rpm. Its not much of a race car so i dont bother. Eco mode on the aircon as well. With my previous cars (driving pretty hard here and there) i would spend roughly R2-R3 a KM, right now im averaging around the same if not more.

Does this taper off? and if so when?

unobeat

Welcome @Saajid69 and congratulations on your purchase.

May it give you more trouble free motoring experience.

We have a 2017 2L CX-5 auto, bought it with 46 000km 5 months ago and the fuel consumption is dependent on the right foot.

The MRS daily's it and averages 8L/100km driving to work and back.
I have averaged 7L/100km on an open road cruising and relaxing with aircon on.

I would say with your motor is young with kilos and still fresh, give it time driving it in different loads(high/ rev, cruising and some days use the sport button and push those revs. The motor should eventually settle and same goes for consumption.

What i have learned is that these SUV'S hate driving local as the consumption goes high quickly especially if you love the accelerator but cars are meant to be enjoyed.

We are loving the 2L power in the CX-5, what a well build solid put together SUV.

Saajid123

Welcome @Saajid69 and congratulations on your purchase.

May it give you more trouble free motoring experience.

We have a 2017 2L CX-5 auto, bought it with 46 000km 5 months ago and the fuel consumption is dependent on the right foot.

The MRS daily's it and averages 8L/100km driving to work and back.
I have averaged 7L/100km on an open road cruising and relaxing with aircon on.

I would say with your motor is young with kilos and still fresh, give it time driving it in different loads(high/ rev, cruising and some days use the sport button and push those revs. The motor should eventually settle and same goes for consumption.

What i have learned is that these SUV'S hate driving local as the consumption goes high quickly especially if you love the accelerator but cars are meant to be enjoyed.

We are loving the 2L power in the CX-5, what a well build solid put together SUV.
Thank you @unobeat, My Mrs also drives it occasionally but well over the consumption i generally get, Heavier foot i suppose, Ill keep that in mind and echoeing your thoughts on the vehicle, superb build quality inside and out loving it

unobeat

*Maintenance update on our 2017 2L CX-5*

Had the rear brake pads replaced and got 54 000km out of them.
The fronts still have 50% life left.
c7e466e6f0597432ab655c5ade5e6f52.jpg
b88277c56c0e6b9cc14d9576f38366e7.jpg
abc4b2cb1a5d6f642e0e177bfea61df5.jpg

unobeat

Out of interest, what did this cost?
It costed R1050 all in at MMSAUTO
They not that complicated to DIY, its a straight forward job. Just need the tool to push back the piston and then there is a guide on Youtube on how to put the rear brakes on maintenance mode..

Fronts pads i will DIY and even the services.
These cars are straight forward with basic tools.

AsteriskUser

They not that complicated to DIY, its a straight forward job. Just need the tool to push back the piston and then there is a guide on Youtube on how to put the rear brakes on maintenance mode..

What’s up with the back breaks needing to be replaced before the front? Mine did that too. It’s very weird. How ever I have only done 26k but I do drive mine like it’s a GTi :/

AsteriskUser

Hi Guys not sure if the thread is still active, did a lot of reading through this forum and others before i finaly took the leap and got myself an Active 2.0 CX5. What attracted my attention was the skyactive and emphasis placed on fuel economy, question here though, I got it brand new (first brand new car) and the salesmen told me that the consumption would be high until around 3000km, I just wanted to find out from guys who actualy own the vehicle if this is true, ive done about 1800km and im no stranger to cars that are thirsty, coming from a GTI and an F30 yet this CX5 seems to be on par if not worse in consumption.

Before you guys say it, I drive in what you may call semi traffic to work and back daily. It was pretty obvious i was going for a family vehicle and my driving habits have adapted, rarely going above 4000rpm. Its not much of a race car so i dont bother. Eco mode on the aircon as well. With my previous cars (driving pretty hard here and there) i would spend roughly R2-R3 a KM, right now im averaging around the same if not more.

Does this taper off? and if so when?

I think the cars just very heavy, to be honest anything other than highway cruising I get around 8-10L per 100km, on the highway though I get a super efficient 6ish. I have the 2.2L diesel though so it’s supposed to be more efficient in any case. I most drive mild traffic and get about 600km to a tank which isn’t fantastic but it could be worse I’ve seen some merc SUV’s doing 12L /100

AsteriskUser

Also I had mine done at the dealership because of the warranty, and they sent the disks to be skimmed and replaced the pads at the back only to the the tune of around R4000

unobeat

Also I had mine done at the dealership because of the warranty, and they sent the disks to be skimmed and replaced the pads at the back only to the the tune of around R4000

That is rather expensive for a simple skim on discs and pads repair.
I did not bother with the dealership as they usually stupidly expensive plus my car is out of warranty.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5-litre petrol engine and new tech for 2021

SUV is now available with two diesel and two petrol powertrains and receives new infotainment

The Mazda CX-5 has been updated for 2021 with a new range-topping petrol engine, upgraded infotainment and driveability improvements.

The headline change to the SUV is the introduction of a new 191bhp 2.5-litre Skyactiv-G unit for top-rung GT Sport models. Unlike the existing 2.0-litre petrol option, this sends its reserves to both axles through an automatic gearbox.

Like the 2.0-litre engine, however, the new 2.5-litre unit uses Mazda's recently introduced cylinder-deactivation technology for improved efficiency at cruising speeds with "no cost to performance". It's capable of 35.3mpg on the WLTP cycle while emitting 182g/km of CO2.

An updated infotainment system has been rolled out across the CX-5 range for 2021, with a larger and thinner 10.25in touchscreen and access to more connectivity functions.

61BB4433-D188-404D-A34D-8530519962F8.jpeg 54B8F7A7-D1A2-4D58-A54E-9F6BCC44F8F0.jpeg 62034C4D-23D9-4818-971D-46636B081309.jpeg A9F24937-A0F8-45C7-8D68-8BE264903C6B.jpeg 81364DE7-07C9-4140-8F7F-D8EB0A8ABBB7.jpeg 4E99F55B-D229-45D8-839D-22E7BCA1C2FD.jpeg 7C237BEB-DBD7-4BD0-9FD2-E08F286109FA.jpeg C253FA9E-DD6C-45CA-BB57-4D9DFDF300D3.jpeg F6171B53-5773-4E57-9BAC-FF9945089E44.jpeg

SWAT

Fuel consumption on the open road is also very dependent on the wind.
I saw that the new CX 30 has launched at the same price as the CX5.
Guess I won't be able to afford the new CX 5 then, as Mazda continues with their drive into the more premium market.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda CX-5 2.5 AWD GT Sport 2021 UK review

Should I buy one?

Your reaction to the CX-5’s lack of a touchscreen will likely be a good barometer of the appeal that this large SUV will hold for you. It might not win over some buyers seeking premium sheen, fancy tech and emission-lowering, tax-busting powertrains. Instead, it continues to plough a different path – and it presents a compelling alternative in the process.

It’s a path that has clearly worked for this generation of CX-5, and Mazda has wisely resisted any urge to mess with the formula by trying to follow the pack. The new engine adds to a driving experience that continues to be shaper and more engaging than most in its class. And that means the CX-5 continues to stand out as a compelling alternative in a crowded pack.

CX-5 1.jpg CX-5 2.jpg CX-5 3.jpg CX-5 4.jpg CX-5 5.jpg

ABU

Has anyone tried Grabber GT tyres on their CX-5?
Any feedback?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda CX-5 2.0 Carbon Edition (2021) Review

Fast Facts

Model tested: 2.0 Carbon Edition
Price: R565 800 (as of February 2021)
Engine: 2.0-litre petrol, naturally-aspirated
Power/Torque: 121 kW/213 Nm
Transmission: 6-speed automatic
Fuel Consumption: 6.9 L/100 km
Load capacity: 442-1914 litres
Acceleration: 0-100 kph in 10.4 sec (claimed)

Price and warranty

This mid-spec Mazda CX-5 2.0 Carbon Edition is priced at R629 000; the range kicks off at R455 500 and tops out at R676 100. A 3-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty and service plan are standard.

Verdict

The Mazda CX-5 continues to deliver excellent quality, driving manners and value for money, irrespective of which engine-transmission combo or trim level you may prefer. The 2.0 Carbon Edition certainly looks the part and is a fitting way to wind down the current iteration of the CX-5 range (an all-new model is still a while away). However, the Mazda's list of rivals is a long one: Volkswagen is about to launch its updated Tiguan, while the Toyota RAV4 (fresh from its 2020/21 #CarsAwards Family Car category win) continues to dominate the sales charts. We suspect a new threat to the CX-5 comes from within its own ranks, as the Japanese firm's local subsidiary recently launched the CX-30, which offers a far more modern cabin and similar performance at the cost of a fractionally smaller cabin and load bay.

What of the CX-5's future, then, if a new family member has evidently invaded the award-winning, but ageing, family car's territory? If overseas reports are to be believed, it's understood the Mazda CX-5 will morph into the CX-50, which, with a new platform and all-new inline 6-cylinder engines, will play in a higher segment. At the recent launch of the Mazda CX-30, Mazda SA was keen to point out that its evolving product range will keep striving for the premium end of the market, so if those words are anything to go by, keep a close eye on Mazda's progress in the next few years...

CX-5 1.jpg CX-5 2.jpg CX-5 3.jpg CX-5 4.jpg CX-5 5.jpg CX-5 6.jpg CX-5 7.jpg CX-5 8.jpg

AsteriskUser

Anyone want to buy a cx5 akera, 27k on the clock, good condition ;) only keeps telling me the oil level is too high. Lol. IMG_6753.jpg