2017 Mazda CX-5 (Gen 2)

AsteriskUser

Most likely but how? I have never put a drop off oil in this car. It seems to always have too much oil. I was told by the dealership that it’s because “excess unburnt diesel” is being dumped into the oil because I’m not doing a long enough drive for it to vent into the exhaust and burn up there.

They have to keep draining and replacing the oil because it’s contaminated. This cars done 27k and it’s had at least 8 oil changes including 2 from services.

unobeat

Seems Mazda and the CX-5 diesel engine platformis a real struggle because there is just so many issues with their diesel engines.

SHL

Expert Member
Also I had mine done at the dealership because of the warranty, and they sent the disks to be skimmed and replaced the pads at the back only to the the tune of around R4000
Despite the warranty, can't this be done elsewhere for less since they are wear & tear parts?

AsteriskUser

I’m sure it could be but they will moan about the warranty being void for non mazda approved work. However I did read there’s a bill being passed somewhere could be even in this country about the right to have your vehicle serviced outside of the deal ship and the warranty still being valid. I’ll see if I can find something.

Reactions: SHL

ABU

I have noticed that my headlights are too high, especially when my CX-5 is carrying a heavy load.
I recall others mentioning a similar problem.

Did anyone manage to sort it out?

neoprema

Executive Member
I have noticed that my headlights are too high, especially when my CX-5 is carrying a heavy load.
I recall others mentioning a similar problem.

Did anyone manage to sort it out?
Which model?

AsteriskUser

I just read this entire thread from beginning to end, every page and post, and honestly your experience puts the fear of gawd into me. I am (was?) considering the 2018 Akera model... eish!! :/

Honestly presented the choice to buy it again or something else to the same value. I would have taken something else. Unfortunately now the cars only really worth about R400k and I can’t find anything low mileage and with the same features/space/comfort in that price range to replace it with.

unobeat

I think the safe option on the CX-5 range is the 2/2.5L motors.

The diesel model seem to have issues.
We loving our 2L model.

ABU

5. Auto levelling headlights- When I received vehicle the brights were set to high. Had that attended to with 15000 service. Brights now perfect, dims to low. I know probably legislation in some countries driving this technology, but would be better with manual adjustment. I will take it back with 30 000 service to have the dims adjusted up and then avoid using brights.
Did you end up sorting out the headlights?

2SCOOPS

Hi All

Looking at changing the wifes car. She currently has a 2017 Nissan Qashqai 1.2T CVT.

Narrowed it down to getting the Mazda CX5 Active Auto 2.0 Auto.

The cons with the Nissan that we only realized after actually living with the car is that it lacks power and also the interior and boot could be a bit bigger.

We are looking at the CX5 as from what I can see it overcomes these issues we have with the Nissan.( and the wife loves the look and interior of the CX5)

The only concern is fuel. The Nissan was quite economical especially on long drives.

Anybody share to provide feedback or their ownership experience and fuel consumption specifically with the Mazda CX5 2.0 active auto?

Thanks

unobeat

@2SCOOPS

We have a 2017 2L CX-5 Dynamic auto, bought it with 46 000km 7 months ago and the fuel consumption is dependent on the right foot.

The MRS daily's it and averages 8-8.5L/100km driving to work and back. She has a heavy foot and never bothers to drive economically.
I have averaged 7L/100km on an open road cruising and relaxing with aircon on. Driving locally where there is lots of robots and stops signs it sits on 9-10L/100km then you drive on an open road it quickly drops down.

So they are fuel efficient when you drive decently and are not hard on the accelerator.

The dynamic model has the 19 inch rims which i am sure would contribute to the fuel consumption as the Active models have 17 inch rims.

Car are meant to be enjoyed and i am sure you guys are going to love it as these SUV'S are solid and well build.

We are loving the power in ours and will be keeping it for many years to come.

Yats

Hi All

Looking at changing the wifes car. She currently has a 2017 Nissan Qashqai 1.2T CVT.

Narrowed it down to getting the Mazda CX5 Active Auto 2.0 Auto.

The cons with the Nissan that we only realized after actually living with the car is that it lacks power and also the interior and boot could be a bit bigger.

We are looking at the CX5 as from what I can see it overcomes these issues we have with the Nissan.( and the wife loves the look and interior of the CX5)

The only concern is fuel. The Nissan was quite economical especially on long drives.

Anybody share to provide feedback or their ownership experience and fuel consumption specifically with the Mazda CX5 2.0 active auto?

Thanks

We have the precious gen Active Auto. Done 65000km in 5 years averaging 8.4l/100km. Lots of that is in stop start traffic so could be lower if more on the open road.

Overall ownership experience has been good. Have 2 small boys and can take all the crap they need. Done a few long trips (Jhb-PE and Jhb-Dbn) and it was comfy.

Would definitely recommend getting the CarPlay/Android Auto upgrade if the car does not have it already installed

2SCOOPS

@2SCOOPS

We have a 2017 2L CX-5 Dynamic auto, bought it with 46 000km 7 months ago and the fuel consumption is dependent on the right foot.

The MRS daily's it and averages 8-8.5L/100km driving to work and back. She has a heavy foot and never bothers to drive economically.
I have averaged 7L/100km on an open road cruising and relaxing with aircon on. Driving locally where there is lots of robots and stops signs it sits on 9-10L/100km then you drive on an open road it quickly drops down.

So they are fuel efficient when you drive decently and are not hard on the accelerator.

The dynamic model has the 19 inch rims which i am sure would contribute to the fuel consumption as the Active models have 17 inch rims.

Car are meant to be enjoyed and i am sure you guys are going to love it as these SUV'S are solid and well build.

We are loving the power in ours and will be keeping it for many years to come.
Thanks for the feedback. Similar fuel consumption to the Qashqai.

2SCOOPS

We have the precious gen Active Auto. Done 65000km in 5 years averaging 8.4l/100km. Lots of that is in stop start traffic so could be lower if more on the open road.

Overall ownership experience has been good. Have 2 small boys and can take all the crap they need. Done a few long trips (Jhb-PE and Jhb-Dbn) and it was comfy.

Would definitely recommend getting the CarPlay/Android Auto upgrade if the car does not have it already installed
8.4l in stop start traffic is not bad at all.
Did you require a top up of fuel for the jhb to dbn trip if you did fill a full tank initially. cant remember who told me that the fuel tank is smaller than 60l and they needed to up on their trip from jhb to dbn.

Looking at buying it new so will have the carplay/android auto upgrade which is a nice feature to have.

ABU

Did you require a top up of fuel for the jhb to dbn trip if you did fill a full tank initially. cant remember who told me that the fuel tank is smaller than 60l and they needed to up on their trip from jhb to dbn.

Looking at buying it new so will have the carplay/android auto upgrade which is a nice feature to have.
I think the tank is 54l
I get about 700km on a tank driving Jhb-Dbn.
This is with the Active Auto

Yats

I did top up along the way.