2017 Mazda CX-5 (Gen 2)

AsteriskUser

Not that it’s a real consideration but since my last ecu update on the diesel variant, I now get around 7-8L /100 with city driving and still as low as 6.4 on the highway.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nearly new buying guide: Mazda CX-5

Family SUV for independent thinkers now starts at around £9000

In the crowded second-hand family SUV sector, the Mazda CX-5 stands out as a stylish, well-equipped, reliable and fun-to-drive choice. The current model was launched in late 2017. Forecourt prices start at around £9000 for a high-mileage 2017 diesel but really get going from around £11,500 for ones with fewer miles.

The range is simple. Starting with the trims, from launch there were just two, both well equipped, called SE-L Nav and Sport Nav. In early 2019, they became more enhanced SE-L+ and Sport Nav+ while a new one called GT Sport Nav+ joined the line-up.

The engines are no less straightforward. From launch, there was a single petrol, a 163bhp 2.0-litre unit (which was joined only recently by a 191bhp 2.5-litre) and a choice of two 2.2-litre diesels, one producing 148bhp and the other 173bhp. Later on, the 173bhp diesel was uprated to 181bhp. An automatic gearbox has been an option throughout.

Notice anything unusual? It’s surely those big engines. While other car makers have been busily downsizing and uprating with the aid of turbochargers and hybrid powertrains, Mazda has stuck to the mantra of ‘there’s no replacement for displacement’. Thankfully, they’re all reasonably efficient.

CX-5 1.jpg CX-5 2.jpg CX-5 3.jpg CX-5 4.jpg CX-5 5.jpg CX-5 6.jpg CX-5 7.jpg CX-5 8.jpg

grantduke

Not that it’s a real consideration but since my last ecu update on the diesel variant, I now get around 7-8L /100 with city driving and still as low as 6.4 on the highway.
Any issues again with oil levels?

I got a Mazda2 1.5 diesel and had the the wrench light come on. Took it to Mazda, was told car was running rich. And they reflashed the ECU

After that I drove another ±4000km before normal service.

Had a drive from Cape Town to George tonight. And kept a strong 120km/h all mostly all the way. And wrench light came on again. This time around, it's not even 5000km since the last service.

I'm on my extended warranty, so will be taking it in on Wednesday. Really hoping they can remove the DPF rather to completely eliminate the Regen/overfueling issue. Otherwise, I'm def getting rid of this amazing little rocket

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda CX-5 v Toyota RAV4 Hybrid v Volkswagen Tiguan | Best Medium SUV | Drive Car of the Year 2021

AsteriskUser

Any issues again with oil levels?

I got a Mazda2 1.5 diesel and had the the wrench light come on. Took it to Mazda, was told car was running rich. And they reflashed the ECU

After that I drove another ±4000km before normal service.

Had a drive from Cape Town to George tonight. And kept a strong 120km/h all mostly all the way. And wrench light came on again. This time around, it's not even 5000km since the last service.

I'm on my extended warranty, so will be taking it in on Wednesday. Really hoping they can remove the DPF rather to completely eliminate the Regen/overfueling issue. Otherwise, I'm def getting rid of this amazing little rocket

Hey man, so yeah I have random issues you know, it’s been fine since the last reflash but who knows. The car drives well the turbo diesel is really great to drive but I’m tired of taking it in. I spoke the the woodmead DP about trading the car in they can only give me around R400k for it which is almost a R250k loss on the car so far.

My car hasn’t even done 30000 Km in 3 years. I know the issue initially with my car was that injector 1 was faulty, not sure if it was sticking or not but it was over fuelling the engine and the excess was some how ending up in the oil.

Regarding the dpf I don’t think it can be removed I did ask them before. It seems that because they use a high pressure common rail, the diesel is atomised much finer and burns a lot better I think that’s how they got decent emissions.

If they flashed your ecu to the latest that’s about all you can do I’m afraid, that or trade the car. I would log the issues with mazda South African so they have a record of your complaints if it every comes to a claim against a faulty engine etc. I did try this how ever it didn’t go very far. I even test drive the petrol ones to do a straight trade but going from a turbo to a non turbo car isn’t great and selling it now I tried to find a replacement with the same level of comfort and features and mileage, I just can’t find anything. So I’m kind of stuck.

unobeat

So i got a quote from my local Mazda Dealership to have the faulty actuator replaced on my LHS mirror.

Quote submitted to my extended warranty for a claim.

k@vi

So i got a quote from my local Mazda Dealership to have the faulty actuator replaced on my LHS mirror.

Quote submitted to my extended warranty for a claim.
Out of interest, what was the amount?

AsteriskUser

R2425.45
Majority of the price is labour as the part is under R600. View attachment 1063365

Yeah they have to take the door panels off and stuff. They did both of mine under warranty. Now days when I get a car wash I leave my mirrors locked out until they dry. Dunno if the pressure washing was causing an issue, the area doesn’t seem very well sealed.

unobeat

Yeah they have to take the door panels off and stuff. They did both of mine under warranty. Now days when I get a car wash I leave my mirrors locked out until they dry. Dunno if the pressure washing was causing an issue, the area doesn’t seem very well sealed.
Yep
Seems water distracts these actuators.
The LHS actuator on our car was malfunctioning when we bought the car but after a month it died and the car was already out of Mazda warranty.

I watched a detailed video on how to replace the actuator.

unobeat

So i called up Allen Jones Mazda to make a booking after i got approval from AA Warranties for the repair and discovered that Mazda doesn't have an account with AA Warranties as an actual fact AA Warranties doesn't have an account with any Mazda dealerships in Pretoria.

So i got about to make contact with various workshops which work with AA Warranties and the only shop that replied is Tip Top tyres based in PTA north.

They put together a quite which amounts to R7000, i then asked for a detailed quote which showed details as if i am replacing the mirror.
It didn't make sense as they told me that Mazda informed them that the whole mirror needs to be replaced as the actuator is part of the mirror assembly.

So i showed them the quote i have from Mazda dealership and i am waiting for a revised quote and retails before i can resubmit to AA Warranties for approval.

AsteriskUser

So i called up Allen Jones Mazda to make a booking after i got approval from AA Warranties for the repair and discovered that Mazda doesn't have an account with AA Warranties as an actual fact AA Warranties doesn't have an account with any Mazda dealerships in Pretoria.

So i got about to make contact with various workshops which work with AA Warranties and the only shop that replied is Tip Top tyres based in PTA north.

They put together a quite which amounts to R7000, i then asked for a detailed quote which showed details as if i am replacing the mirror.
It didn't make sense as they told me that Mazda informed them that the whole mirror needs to be replaced as the actuator is part of the mirror assembly.

So i showed them the quote i have from Mazda dealership and i am waiting for a revised quote and retails before i can resubmit to AA Warranties for approval.
So basically get rid of the car before the warranty runs out :ROFL:

unobeat

So basically get rid of the car before the warranty runs out :ROFL:
Got the correct quote later yesterday from Tip Top, send it through to AA who replied this morning with approval.

Will sign quote and submit to AA to proceed to order the part as they mentioned that it will take about 4-6 days to arrive then we can schedule repair day to proceed.

Between the dealership and aftermarket workshop, quotes are similar in pricing.

So far received good service from AA Warranties and Tip Top Tyres Hatfield.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It's kinda disappointing to see such issues on a Mazda, now it just sounds like a Ford thread, I have always held Mazda in high regard when it comes to reliability, it would be sad if they are falling behind all the other Japanese brands, intermittent, unexplained electronics issues can be a pain.

unobeat

It's kinda disappointing to see such issues on a Mazda, now it just sounds like a Ford thread, I have always held Mazda in high regard when it comes to reliability, it would be sad if they are falling behind all the other Japanese brands, intermittent, unexplained electronics issues can be a pain.
I really like Mazda as they offer some premium level and are well solid cars.

From what i have read on the research i have done on the CX-5's it seems the mirror issue is the most common one.

The diesel models seems to be unreliable and have their issues were as the petrol models keep on running not needing much attention to keep them on them on the road.

jbarker

Looking at purchasing a 2019 / 2020 CX-5 2.2 Diesel Akera with low kilometers. Despite all that has been discussed in this thread is there anything to look out for on these models?
Hoping to include a full maintenance plan from Mazda in the deal.

AsteriskUser

Looking at purchasing a 2019 / 2020 CX-5 2.2 Diesel Akera with low kilometers. Despite all that has been discussed in this thread is there anything to look out for on these models?
Hoping to include a full maintenance plan from Mazda in the deal.

So far the only issue was my injector. Otherwise mechanically it’s been fine.