• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

2017 Nobel peace prize awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons

Voicy

Honorary Master
I'm still puzzled as to why they pre-emptively awarded it to president Obama.

They also seem to have foot-in-mouth after the present Myanmar genocide fiasco.

Either way, I'm keen to visit the museum in Oslo later this year. I guess I'll have to knock on the door since there are Nobels inside. :D

lived666

Executive Member
Aliens in human form. They just want us to get rid of weapons that could defend us from the invasion.

If the Americans and Koreans really do go to war, the organisation will have to change their name to ICAN't.

surface

Expert Member
I'm still puzzled as to why they pre-emptively awarded it to president Obama.
Speaker extraordinaire - I still get goosebumps on hearing his speeches. Salut.

As to nobel prize, I think the same as you and I am sure we are in majority. However, there seem to be some explanation (very lame in my opinion)

https://abluteau.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/nobel-committees-decision-courts-controversy/

The Peace Prize Committee, made up of Norwegians, appeared to have anticipated criticism of its choice. (The other Nobel prizes are awarded by a Swedish committee.) Committee Chairman Thorbjorn Jagland said the prize often has been used to encourage laureates rather than reward them for their achievements.

“The committee wants to not only endorse but contribute to enhancing that kind of international policy and attitude which [Obama] stands for,” said Mr. Jagland, a former Norwegian prime minister, said at a news conference.

zippy

Executive Member
So what has the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons actually achieved ? So far as I can tell everyone who currently owns a nuke has shown them the middle finger and everyone who want to own one has also shown them the middle finger ? I guess thats enough for Nobel prize ? :)

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
So what has the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons actually achieved ? So far as I can tell everyone who currently owns a nuke has shown them the middle finger and everyone who want to own one has also shown them the middle finger ? I guess thats enough for Nobel prize ? :)
I'm with you on that one. They haven't achieved or maintained any demonstrable peace through their actions.

C4Cat

Executive Member
It was given the award "for its work to draw attention to the catastrophic humanitarian consequences of any use of nuclear weapons and for its ground-breaking efforts to achieve a treaty-based prohibition of such weapons"

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Slight tangent: has any nation with nuclear weapons ever given them up entirely except for South Africa?

I realize the answer is probably a quick google away, but I suspect it is either "no" or "only a handful". If that's the case the various treaties over the years have really achieved nothing.

Oppiekoffie

Expert Member
The US sits with more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world. Nobel Prize is the biggest bull**** ever. Started off well, turned into retarded rubbish.

konfab

Honorary Master
The US sits with more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world. Nobel Prize is the biggest bull**** ever. Started off well, turned into retarded rubbish.
It was $hit because they figured you have to give it out every year. Which they should have stopped the moment they realised the world was turning a step in the wrong direction.

The fact that someone like Julian Assange, Edward Snowden or Wikileaks haven't been awarded the peace prize for exposing how the governments of the world spy on people is all the evidence in the world for me that it is B.S.

Alan

Honorary Master
The fact that someone like Julian Assange, Edward Snowden or Wikileaks haven't been awarded the peace prize for exposing how the governments of the world spy on people is all the evidence in the world for me that it is B.S.
Would have been a little awkward given both were being prosecuted for their actions by a certain Nobel laureate's administration

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Slight tangent: has any nation with nuclear weapons ever given them up entirely except for South Africa?

I realize the answer is probably a quick google away, but I suspect it is either "no" or "only a handful". If that's the case the various treaties over the years have really achieved nothing.
Who said we gave them up?

https://businesstech.co.za/news/gen...-refuses-to-let-go-of-its-nuclear-explosives/

It's as simple as putting them back together again.

RokSwaab

They have the largest military budget in the world. The largest nuclear arsenal in the world. Yet, when another country pursues these things such as better nuclear capabilites, USA loses their ****.

Techne

Executive Member
Wake me up when these clowns got the world to use Thorium reactors, everyone to sign the NPT and the IAEA to inspect ALL countries with nuclear weapons .