2017 Opel Mokka X

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Correct, for CarPlay to work the iPhoney must be plugged into the car's USB port. Wireless charging would not help the cause as for CarPlay to work the car needs to support Wireless CarPlay & only the latest 5-Series supports that at present.
So are you saying the head unit needs special support for it to work over anything other than USB?

Or if you could have a wireless charger into the car it would operate?

Guess only my powerbank idea would confirm that accurately.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
So are you saying the head unit needs special support for it to work over anything other than USB?

Or if you could have a wireless charger into the car it would operate?

Guess only my powerbank idea would confirm that accurately.
Car/headunit needs to support Wireless CarPlay for CP to work when the iPhone is placed on the wireless charging mat/area.

If one has the relevant iPhone then wireless charging will just charge the iPhone. To use CP it needs to have that wired connection to work.

If the car supports Wireless CarPlay then you are good to go but that is incredibly scarce at present.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Aaah that sucks. I agree Apple Maps sucks. What about Google Maps and Waze?

As far as I know the phone must just be powered for Carplay to work so Wireless Charging would be nice in this instance. But not having used it can't say for 100% sure.

Guess an easy way to test would be to book phone up to power bank and then try use Carplay.
No third party nav apps seem to work.

I tested your theory using the 12v socket and unfortunately CarPlay didn't work.

FWIW the car's built in nav app doesn't seem too bad at all.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No third party nav apps seem to work.

I tested your theory using the 12v socket and unfortunately CarPlay didn't work.

FWIW the car's built in nav app doesn't seem too bad at all.
Oh so you even got the navigation thrown into the mix, nice.

Let's hope it gets updates and they don't cost money.

As for the need to plugin, that sucks a bit but not the end of the world. It's just the one place I thought wireless charging would be useful.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Watching the Ignition TV insert about Opel's distribution for 2018.

Brian Hunter who heads up Opel SA drives a Coffee X 1.4 Cosmo Auto. He loves it.

Sumen

Expert Member
Watching the Ignition TV insert about Opel's distribution for 2018.

Brian Hunter who heads up Opel SA drives a Coffee X 1.4 Cosmo Auto. He loves it.
Are they back on?, I think already missed the first 2 episodes

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Yeah, it was a demo vehicle for the launch, hence the 2016 registration, so it's pretty much got it all.
Does it have the 7" Intellilink infotainment system or the 8" one? 8" was an option.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Drove it tonight for the first time with the whole Adaptive forward lighting thing doing it's stuff and that's going to take some getting used to.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Been on a bike that does similar and it is very strange at first.
Yeah, I just have to learn to trust that it’s going to do the right thing at the right time. So far I don’t think I’ve dazzled any oncoming traffic…

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah, I just have to learn to trust that it’s going to do the right thing at the right time. So far I don’t think I’ve dazzled any oncoming traffic…
Yeah the only time I thought it was wrong is going into those small circles at night and you kind of see nothing in front of you for a moment.

But it’s probably also much improved by now.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yeah the only time I thought it was wrong is going into those small circles at night and you kind of see nothing in front of you for a moment.

But it’s probably also much improved by now.
The misconception I had was that the lights would follow you around a curve however what has become apparent is that it adds light, via the fog-lights I think, in the direction of the turn.

Haven't tried a traffic circle yet.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The misconception I had was that the lights would follow you around a curve however what has become apparent is that it adds light, via the fog-lights I think, in the direction of the turn.

Bruv do you see it as a pro or con that the Astra K has an electronic handbrake while the Coffee X has an "old school" mechanical one?

Astra K:

Coffee X:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Yeah I think in the newer generations you have the normal lights with additional cornering lights.

The first generations were more like the whole thing pointed where you were going.