2017 Rugby Championship

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
I hardly agree with my fellow forumites on this forum, but today I agree with you Lads, Sir Malcom Marx was the Man of the match, he was in a league of his own.

sand_man

Honorary Master
3/10 for box-kicks
Yeah, the box kicking was atrocious but clearly the tactic was to kick up field and back the chasers to put pressure on the AB back 3. For the most part it worked. We didn't want to be playing too much rugby deep in our own half.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
All nitty gritty aside, that was an epic test match!

I think we were a lot better on the day tbh, monumental efforts from the Boks.
Pride restored!

The first 8 did all the work though, backline largely not an attacking option.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Really unfortunate that Milner-Skudder popped his shoulder. Missed all of last year through a shoulder injury. :(

Stephen

Expert Member
What does South African, Italian and Scottish rugby supporters have in common.............

Lose within 5 points and we're all happy.

#playforpride
Ha Ha, reminds me of England sport having open bus tours for winning a dead rubber. Or standing ovation for a batsmen scoring a plucky 30 - MBE material that

rietrot

Honorary Master
Yeah, the box kicking was atrocious but clearly the tactic was to kick up field and back the chasers to put pressure on the AB back 3. For the most part it worked. We didn't want to be playing too much rugby deep in our own half.
It gave NZ 2 easy tries. You don't kick the ball to the best counter attacking team in the world just to show off your number 2 awesome fetching skills.
Lots of 50-50 bounces just landed favourably for the boks. On a different night if NZ scored those early tries this could have been 57-0 all over again.

Last edited:

rietrot

Honorary Master
The first 8 did all the work though, backline largely not an attacking option.
Awesome game of 10 man rugby. That's game plan and coaching and not good enough in the modern era we will alway be second best on a good day and lose to japan on a bad day. Our back line is great if we actually use them.

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
Ha Ha, reminds me of England sport having open bus tours for winning a dead rubber. Or standing ovation for a batsmen scoring a plucky 30 - MBE material that
Once again I have to agree, at least England won the dead rubber.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Awesome game of 10 man rugby. That's game plan and coaching and not good enough in the modern era we will alway be second best on a good day and lose to japan on a bad day. Our back line is great if we actually use them.
Our first try was scored after 19 phases and our 2nd after 12 phases. There was a lot of box kicking from Ross but to suggest we playing 10 man rugby is disengenious.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
A 3rd place finish, just above the lowly Argies and because of one game, it's all #priderestored and AC chest puffing BS ....... such is the state of this country's rugby

genelock

Banned
Our first try was scored after 19 phases and our 2nd after 12 phases. There was a lot of box kicking from Ross but to suggest we playing 10 man rugby is disengenious.

two very interesting statistics there

Defenders beaten 27 vs 29 not bad at all
with so much possession and territory advantage it means we didn't create or use enough opportunities

secondly, our passing rate was better than NZ??? HOW'S THAT FOR A SHOCKER?

Boks passed the ball every 2.4 m
NZ passed the ball every 3.6 m

Much better performance. this game could have gone our way easily, the margin was that thin. *** blind french referee and bounce of the ball
1 point in it
well done guys I'm proud of you. NZ knew they had a game and was hard rugby

Sl8er

Executive Member
two very interesting statistics there

Defenders beaten 27 vs 29 not bad at all
with so much possession and territory advantage it means we didn't create or use enough opportunities

secondly, our passing rate was better than NZ??? HOW'S THAT FOR A SHOCKER?

Boks passed the ball every 2.4 m
NZ passed the ball every 3.6 m

Much better performance. this game could have gone our way easily, the margin was that thin. *** blind french referee and bounce of the ball
1 point in it
well done guys I'm proud of you. NZ knew they had a game and was hard rugby
...and let's not forget, if it wasn't for NZs fake try we would've won....

genelock

Banned
Every other ref in the world (except maybe Poite) would've said that was a knock on.
I would probably agree with you on that but unfortunately all those referees aren't here to confirm what you assume they would say
However here you had arguably one of the top 5 international rugby referees disagreeing with you
and it took him quite a long time to reach that decision, not a spur of the moment feeling he had

Sl8er

Executive Member
I would probably agree with you on that but unfortunately all those referees aren't here to confirm what you assume they would say
However here you had arguably one of the top 5 international rugby referees disagreeing with you
and it took him quite a long time to reach that decision, not a spur of the moment feeling he had
Hold on Garces and Poite were on the field, so nowhere near "top 5" refs. ;)

We've seen some shocking TMO decisions in the recent past and this was no exception.
I think Mallett, I speak under correction, said he contacted Mark Lawrence and he agreed that that was not a try.

I'll say it again, if it was any other team I guarantee you it would've been "a clear knock on."

You're right though, it doesn't matter what I think, but everyone -right now- knows the Boks actually won this game.

mallett phoned mark lawrence, head of refs, and he said it was a knock