2018 BMW X3 (Gen 3)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Not meant be announced until Monday but official leaked pics have dropped. More grown-up looking. Interior takes a much much more smarter take.

Here's The All-New 2018 BMW X3 If You Care About That Sort Of Thing

The 2018 BMW X3 wasn’t supposed to be in front of your eyes until Monday, but the manufacturer’s local website in Hong Kong seems to have dropped the truly riveting new compact SUV a few days early. Yes, it’s hard to care about, but now the top X3 actually gets a decent amount of power.

CarScoops found some specs and photos on the X3 page of the website, which is still up as of Saturday morning.

The website says the M Performance model, the X3 M40i, will hit 62 mph in 4.8 seconds, has a maximum speed of 155 mph and will get an advertised 28 miles per gallon. CarScoops reports that the M40i will make a not-terrible 360 horsepower from a 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged inline-six engine. Previously the top-shelf X3 had just 300 HP.

Clearly, BMW is gunning for some kind of Audi SQ5 competitor with this new model, and that is not a bad thing.

There will also be two xDrive versions, according to CarScoops:

BMW’s Hong Kong webpage also notes the X3 xDrive20d and xDrive30d diesel models. Four-cylinder turbocharged gasoline versions, including the US and Canadian market 2.0-liter xDrive30i with the same 248hp output as on the new 530i, will be added to the range.

Later on, we will see a plug-in hybrid baby [sibling] to the X5 xDrive40e with a 2.0-liter gasoline engine, as well as the first pure M X3 sporting a version of the M3’s 3.0L straight-six with over 400 horses.

But while you might wonder who exactly cares about this sort of thing, the answer is a whole lot of people. Rather than hearing your constant cries for wagons and for the M-branded cars to not totally succumb to the automatic transmissions, the noise BMW seems to be hearing is that of sweet, sweet money. Just like most other compact SUVs and crossovers, the X3 sells—a lot.

Just look at the sales numbers from all of 2016 and May of 2017, where you can see that the X3 kills all of the other BMWs in terms of actually growing sales:

So, here’s BMW, advertising the new X3 alongside silly “specialized by BMW” bikes two days earlier than even the company expected. The video posted by the BMW site and re-shared by CarScoops will put you to sleep, which is an accurate reflection of how the crossover/SUV market makes a lot of us feel anyway:

And below are some photos. Everyone bow down to the crossovers and SUVs, because they are our new overlords—until the machines take over, that is.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-all-new-2018-bmw-x3-if-you-care-about-that-so-1796389766

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2017 BMW X3: images, video and details leak ahead of official reveal

New X3 gets a new look, performance model and improved economy, as well as semi-autonomous technology

The new BMW X3 range will be topped by a twin-turbocharged six-cylinder, 355bhp and 369b ft X3 M40i model with four-wheel drive and a 0-62mph time of 4.9sec.

Details of the performance SUV were leaked on BMW's official Hong Kong site ahead of its global reveal next week along with with images, video and specs of the new SUV range.

The new X3 gets a more rounded look than the current car’s angular styling, as well as full LED front and rear lights.

So far, four and six cylinder diesel-engined variants badged xDrive20d and xDrive30d are revealed, along with the sole petrol powertrain, the M40i xDrive. Fuel consumption and CO2 figures have been revealed for all three; between 52.3mpg and 56.5mpg for the four-cylinder diesel, between 47.1mpg and 49.6mph for the six-cylinder diesel and 33.6mpg-34.4mpg for the x3 M40i. 132-142g/km, 149-158g/km and 188-193g/km are claimed respectively.

These lower figures are in part down to reduced weight and improved aerodynamics, although the leak stops short of putting numbers to the claims. More aerodynamic wing mirrors are also claimed to feature.

The 155mph X3 M40i xDrive has specifically-tuned M Performance suspension and steering, as well as exclusive grey paint and 21in double-spoke M alloys. Its performance tops that of the Audi SQ5, which reaches 62mph in 5.4sec; half a second slower than the BMW, with identical 369lb ft of torque, but 6bhp less.

From the leaked video, it is clear that semi-autonomous systems are in place; the driver takes his hands off the wheel, although these do not seem to be at the same level as the hands-off technology to be featured in the upcoming Audi A8.

A tailgate operated by waving a foot under the corner of the car, as well as a large head-up display and button-operated folding rear seats are shown to be available in the car’s range, but the car’s equipment levels have not been revealed, but an electric bicycle is also available as an accessory for the SUV.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...-video-and-details-leak-ahead-official-reveal

Nicholas Lisse

Looks like a fat/bloated X1... old X3 was/is much prettier.

Somehow BMW seems to be losing the plot, styling wise.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Not bad...but I just couldn't buy a X3...it just screams Sandton curb-climber with zero off-road credentials.

tRoN

Executive Member
Fugly! That kidney grill looks like Idi Amin's nose

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Meet the all-new BMW X3 (including 265 kW M40i)…

The all-new, third-generation BMW X3 has finally been (officially) revealed at the BMW Group’s Spartanburg Plant in the United States, with production set to take place both at that location in South Carolina as well as at Plant Rosslyn in Pretoria.

The latest version of the compact luxury crossover is scheduled to arrive in South Africa in the fourth quarter of 2017 (likely in November).

The G01-generation X3 runs on the Munich-based automaker’s CLAR modular platform. BMW says three model lines (xLine, Luxury Line and M Sport) will be offered, along with the “BMW Individual” range of options.

From launch, the engine line-up will feature three petrol and two diesel units, with outputs ranging from 135 kW to 265 kW. All models come fitted with the brand’s eight-speed Steptronic transmission as standard.

The BMW X3 M40i has been confirmed as the first M Performance Automobile in this model series. It uses the brand’s 3,0-litre inline-six to develop 265 kW and 500 N.m, which BMW says is enough for a 4,8-second sprint to three figures.

Other derivatives include the xDrive20i (135 kW/290 N.m), sDrive20i (same outputs, but in front-wheel-drive flavour), xDrive30i (185 kW/350 N.m), xDrive20d (140 kW/400 N.m) and xDrive30d (195 kW/620 N.m).

The Bavarian automaker says the X3’s weight has reduced by up to 55 kg when compared with its predecessor (dependent on model), adding that the third-generation model boasts “class-leading” aerodynamics (Cd=0,29).

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/meet-the-all-new-bmw-x3-including-265-kw-m40i/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
SA Built BMW X3 Revealed

The South African built BMW X3 has been revealed ahead of its official debut at the Frankfurt motor show.

The BMW X3, as we have written before will replace the current 3 Series as a local production model. The new model has ‘leaked’ online and as expected, features a much more pronounced (read bigger) kidney grille. Front and rear LED lights have been designed to reflect a 3D look with a low rear roof spoiler giving it a coupe roofline feel.

It will be available in xLine, M Sport and Luxury line trim options while a unique Pythonic Blue colour is specific to the new X3 range.

The engine range is as to be expected with downsized turbopetrol and turbodiesel engine on offer. The range-topping motor fitted to the X3 M40i appears to be a bit of a beast with 268 kW and 500 Nm of torque. The 3.0-litre 6-cylinder turbopetrol shunts the X3 to 100 kph in just 4.9 seconds.

The rest of the range comprises an X3 20d, 30d, 20i and 30i derivatives. More details on the power and torque figures will be revealed later today. That goes for the interior tech details too, which appears to take its design from the latest 5 Series.

The X3 will begin production in Spartanburg (South Carolina, USA) during July 2017. The South African built X3 will only begin production in April 2018. That means our first batch of X3s will be imported before local production takes over. The current 3 Series currently built at Rosslyn will cease in February 2018.

http://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/sa-built-bmw-x3-revealed/43584/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Promo vid

[video=youtube_share;O3ZD2dgyjkU]https://youtu.be/O3ZD2dgyjkU[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The BMW X3 was the car that launched the mid-size SAV (Sports Activity Vehicle) segment in 2003. Since then, BMW has recorded more than 1.5 million new registrations of the X3 across the two model generations so far. And now the new BMW X3 is set to write the next chapter in this success story with an even more striking, dynamic design language, powerful yet also efficient drive systems and luxurious appointments. Like all members of the successful X family, it blends standout driving qualities on any terrain with unrestricted everyday usability.

Sharper design and three model variants

The third generation of the BMW X3 follows in its predecessors' tyre tracks by combining rugged off-road looks with a sporting presence. Its familiar proportions, including very short front and rear overhangs, shine the spotlight on the perfect 50:50 distribution of weight between the front and rear axle. The potent dynamic intent of the new BMW X3 is highlighted by a chunky kidney grille and foglamps featuring a hexagonal design for the first time on a BMW X model. At the rear, the light clusters (whose three-dimensional look in optional full-LED guise give them considerable visual impact), markedly downward-sloping roof spoiler and twin exhaust tailpipes bring matters to a suitably muscular conclusion.

The xLine, M Sport and Luxury Line trim variants (the latter is a new addition to the line-up) and the range of BMW Individual items enable the appearance of the BMW X3 to be adapted even more precisely to the customer's personal tastes. In addition to the standard 18-inch light-alloy wheels (previously: 17-inch), customers can dip into the options list for wheel/tyre combinations in sizes up to 21-inch. As well as making various exterior tweaks, the three trim variants also adapt the ambience inside the car to their particular themes. The interior of the new BMW X3 displays unbeatable fit and finish and material quality, and is even classier and more luxurious than its predecessor. Comfort levels are further elevated by a host of new equipment options like three-zone automatic climate control, the Ambient Air package, active seat ventilation, the cargo function of the standard 40:20:40 split/folding rear seat backrests and the panoramic glass roof that brings extra airiness to the interior and further enhances perceived quality.

Another new equipment item is the optional BMW Display Key, which not only locks and unlocks the BMW X3 by radio remote control, but also shows a variety of status information on the car and serves as the control unit for the optional auxiliary heating, for example.

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2018-x3/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The all-new BMW X3 M40i. First M Performance model in the X3 model line-up with best in segment acceleration

The first ever M Performance model in the X3 lineup sets new standards with its sharper dynamics, high level of exclusivity and standout emotional appeal. The 3.0-liter M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology 6-cylinder inline engine ensures the all-new BMW X3 M40i sits at the top end of the model range. Output of 355 hp propels the flagship X3 from 0 to 60 mph in a best in segment time of 4.6 seconds. The X3 M40i also includes a wealth of model-specific set-up and equipment features, which both underpin and lend added impact to the exceptional performance credentials of this SAV.

The BMW X3 M40i is equipped with an 8-speed Steptronic Sport automatic transmission with Launch Control. This transmission is a perfect match for the engine's dynamic characteristics and can be operated using shift paddles on the steering wheel. In addition, its xDrive all-wheel-drive system has a far more pronounced rear bias than on the other model versions. The Performance Control feature integrated into the DSC system and acting on the rear wheels has been reconfigured to produce agility and traction for which M Performance models are known for. Moving into the cabin, Sport seats and "M40i" logos adorning, for instance, the front door sills and instrument panel, provide visual emphasis of the car's performance capabilities.

Among these features are the standard - and strikingly dynamic - M Performance-specific exterior design cues, which include the M Aerodynamic kit with design elements finished in Cerium Grey Metallic. The flap-controlled M Sport exhaust system with Black Chrome tailpipe embellishers, M Sport brakes, M Sport suspension with M Performance specific tuning, Variable sport steering and standard 19-inch or optional 20-inch and 21-inch cast light-alloy wheels provide a distinctive sporting character. The X3 M40i can be equipped with the available Adaptive M Sport suspension, which covers an even wider spread of ride comfort featuring the sportiest set-up suspension available.

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2018-x3_m40i/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
[video=youtube_share;4UnuddVmDRQ]https://youtu.be/4UnuddVmDRQ[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW to import new X3 before SA production starts

BMW Group South Africa has confirmed that the first batch of all-new X3 units will be imported before local production of the compact luxury crossover kicks off at Plant Rosslyn in Pretoria.

Earlier this week, the Munich-based automaker revealed the new G01-generation X3 at Plant Spartanburg in South Carolina, the largest manufacturing facility in the group’s global production network and the plant that will be responsible for the bulk of X3 production.

Some time in the first half of 2018, however, Plant Rosslyn here in South Africa will switch from building the 3 Series sedan to producing the new X3. And, since the new model is scheduled to launch locally in November 2017, BMW SA has confirmed that “the first batch of cars between November and [the] first quarter of 2018 will be [imported] from Spartanburg”.

BMW SA also told CARmag.co.za that the “state-of-the-art” plant in Pretoria has been designed for a “potential maximum capacity of 71 000 units” a year, essentially “future-proofing the facility to meet potential market fluctuations”.

No word yet on exactly when the final SA-built 3 Series will roll off the line at Rosslyn.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/bmw-to-import-new-x3-before-sa-production-starts/

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
New X3 looks bland enough to make the X5 look much better, but slightly more muscular than the X1.

I don't like car designs that are obviously meant to push you to the more expensive version or the cheaper version based on your finances.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
[video=youtube;6EyvcFOck0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EyvcFOck0E[/video]