2018 Hyundai i30 N

The i30 N is expected to reach our shores in the second half of 2019, and will be priced at R699 900.

Sorry but at that price the SA consumer are just going to continue to buy the GTI.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hyundai soon to be testing its hot hatch models in SA

With 202kW of power, the i30N could arrive to take on the Golf GTI and Megane RS

Enthusiasts in SA got really excited when Hyundai revealed its i30 N hot hatch. It promised to take on the Volkswagen Golf GTi, Ford Focus ST and Renault Megane RS with its 202kW and 353Nm outputs. But then Hyundai SA said it would be too expensive and it never arrived.

But get excited once more, because it still might be heading our way according to our source within Hyundai SA. In fact I can tell you for sure that at least two are.

This month, two units will arrive for homologation testing to see if they are suitable for SA. That’s one step closer to the i30 N hitting the market and means the company must be fairly sure it can make the pricing competitive.

That won’t be easy of course, because internationally it undercuts many of its rivals significantly and without export credits, Hyundai SA will have a hard time making the numbers work.

We drove it overseas back in 2017 and our Michael Taylor seemed reasonably impressed with what Hyundai’s new N performance division had achieved.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/motorin...oon-to-be-testing-its-hot-hatch-models-in-sa/

Hyundai i30 Fastback N review | Auto Expert John Cadogan

Here are the top 10 features you’ll love about i30 N:

1. Insane (track-spec) tyre and brake endurance

2. E-diff ( cuts wheelspin, boosts traction and cornering speed.)

3. Track-friendly warranty. Unlike most other brands, Hyundai extends the warranty on the i30 N to cover you for track days. As long as it’s not actual motorsport (like, a race) you’re covered.

4. Engine performance: 202kW/353Nm (378 on overboost).

5. Fastback styling: it’s not very often a carmaker tacks on a totally different design to the back half of an existing car and makes it dead sexy.

6. Bi-modal exhaust - just sounds awesome.

7. Nurburgring R&D: Rear strut brace. Actually there’s bespoke reinforcement all over this car - I whipped it up on a hoist and detailed that in my original i30 N Hatch review. It all just says: we went the extra mile, or in the case of this car: the extra 500 laps of the Nurburgring, in R&D.

8. Rev matching - brilliantly executed (read: superhuman).

9. N-custom mode (engine, dampers, steering weight, e-LSD, ESC, exhaust sound) 1944 permutations of settings. Good luck with that.

10. It's the anti-kudos hot hatch. Say you’re in a BMW M2, and you round up some halfwit in a Golf GTI. He can always go ‘well … it’s a superior car … the ultimate driving machine just got me…’