2018 Hyundai i30 N

Mistro

Centurion, Gauteng dealership. They also have a red one on the floor. White one is used for test drives. I cannot wait!

Mistro

So went for a test drive this past Saturday. This car is EPIC! If you really want an involving drive then this is the hot hatch you want, reminiscent of the old Megane Sport . Right from the dealership we left the car in Sport mode, no test drives allowed in Race mode.

So sales guy took it out for the first run for "induction". We hit the N1 South (from John Voster), by the time we got to the next exit (Botha Avenue) we were already doing 200kph+, easily so, (before anyone gets upset, it's a test drive!).

Then it was my turn to drive, oh man, this is a well-appointed car. Nice short-shifter and a forging clutch, I've drive cars with a stiffer clutch setup. The car sticks to the road, I've read guys saying the M-PS4s would be better, but I highly doubt that, the OEM Pirelli's do a stellar job. As we got off the freeway, the road gets curvy and the sales guy was like "push it, push it" :ROFL: and I obliged, really takes the curves well, zero body-roll!

So it rides on 235/35r19 and has 3 suspension settings, Eco, Comfort and Sport. Drove mostly in Sport and even then the car was not bad, over bumpy roads it still felt comfortable and the zero rattles from the interior. A lot of people say the Golf looks better inside but what they forget to mention is how well-sorted the i30N's interior is, it might not look fancy but the quality is solid!

Wife also got to drive it :ROFL: salesman was left in shock!

Guys if you can test drive it, please do, you won't regret it!

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Is N the new M?

Some of the BMW M Division's finest (former) engineers now work for Hyundai. Does that mean your preferred alternative to the M3 will soon bear an N on its nose and boot lid?

People design and engineer great cars. Not brands. Car enthusiasts often forget this because they blindly follow a specific brand, instead of recognising the specific team of designers and engineers that created the cars they so revere.

For a very long time, if you wanted a performance car that was as adept at transporting your family as it was at going blindingly fast, you bought a model from a premium German marque. More specifically, you bought a BMW M car.

BMW has been building family-friendly performance cars since the original e28 M5 debuted in 1984. It has an almost unrivalled list of celebrated driver’s cars in its oeuvre, all with usable rear seats and reasonable boot capacities.

For decades, an M car in your driveway was symbolic of appreciating the finer elements of driving and mechanical engineering excellence. But what happens when the people responsible for those great M cars leave the company?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Is Hyundai N Testing Bigger Engines?

Korean car brand Hyundai is rapidly expanding its N performance arm and there are many products in the pipeline. There's also a new engine.

First spotted by KoreanCarBlog, a Veloster N mule was seen cruising the streets with a sticker on the door, detailing its engine capacity. Rumours are strong that the Koreans are shifting from the 2.0-litre turbo Theta II motor to the Theta III 2.5-litre turbo. There are already rumours Hyundai will adopt the new Smartstream technology which means more power and we're expecting to see a jump to 223 kW and 421 Nm.

Snip.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hyundai i30 N (2020) Review

Fast Facts

Price: R679 900 (May 2020)
Engine: 2.0-litre 4-cylinder turbopetrol
Gearbox: 6-speed manual
Fuel economy: 8.5 L/100 km (claimed)
Power/Torque: 202 kW/353 Nm

Verdict

Hyundai SA only plans to sell 5 to 10 units of its maiden hot hatch a month, so the proposition of i30 N ownership promises a level of exclusivity that its rivals simply cannot match. As a first-of-its-kind N model, the i30 N is a significant statement of intent from the brand. The Korean marque has hit the marks straight from the get-go, delivering a refined product that’s both fast when it needs to be and then perfectly capable in day-to-day traffic. It'd be even more practical with the introduction of a dual-clutch ‘box at some point.

Suffice to say the newcomer makes the right sounds and has great road presence in the same way a Golf GTI grabs attention without the need to brandish explicit wings and fins. While it’s not the fastest hot hatch on the market, the i30 N offers a fun-yet-safe driving experience that allows you to push hard without feeling like things could suddenly untangle and that the car could end up in a ditch at any moment.

So, in a comparison with the Golf GTI, the i30 N is better in many ways than its outgoing German rival and if I had to choose between the 2, at the same price, I would go for the i30 N. But, at the current price (May 2020) where it costs R100 000 more than a GTI, the Hyundai's premium is a near-impossible pill to swallow. Add to that, the next-generation (Golf 8) GTI will be here within 12 months and the Hyundai looks a little less appealing.

Hyundai-i30N-1.jpgHyundai-i30N-5.jpgHyundai-i30N-12.jpgHyundai-i30N-13.jpgHyundai-i30N-10.jpgHyundai-i30N-11.jpgHyundai-i30N-8.jpgHyundai-i30N-9.jpg