2018 MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard a big mistake

surfs-up

Expert Member
So I bought a new MacBook Pro, top of the line 13" from iStore three weeks ago. Cost me R 35 000.00. Two days later I left for Kenya to start a new job. Within 4 days of light use in an office, my keys stick. I have now had 4 keys stick. Sometimes they somehow free themselves. Then my spacebar stopped working altogether, but corrected itself after I tapped it about 100 times in quick succession.

It seems the problem, in their quest for ultra thinness, Apple have chosen looks ahead of function. The gap between the keys and the keyboard frame is so small, sliding a piece of paper between key and frame is a tight squeeze. The result is any frame expansion due to temperature gets the keys sticking....or a speck of dust can do the same thing.

Anyone else frustrated to heck with this problem on new MBP ?

R4ziel

Apple have chosen looks ahead of function.
So just the normal then?

I haven't worked on that specific Macbook pro, but I've seen many of them with keys sticking due to the bad design of the keyboards, I'm not sure if there is a surefire way to resolve that though

whatwhat

Executive Member
So I bought a new MacBook Pro, top of the line 13" from iStore three weeks ago. Cost me R 35 000.00. Two days later I left for Kenya to start a new job. Within 4 days of light use in an office, my keys stick. I have now had 4 keys stick. Sometimes they somehow free themselves. Then my spacebar stopped working altogether, but corrected itself after I tapped it about 100 times in quick succession.

It seems the problem, in their quest for ultra thinness, Apple have chosen looks ahead of function. The gap between the keys and the keyboard frame is so small, sliding a piece of paper between key and frame is a tight squeeze. The result is any frame expansion due to temperature gets the keys sticking....or a speck of dust can do the same thing.

Anyone else frustrated to heck with this problem on new MBP ?
Technically you have a 2017 MacBook Pro. 2018 refresh will be out soon(ish).

But yes, you will just need to get used to it. Buy a bottle of compressed air and spray the keyboard when the keys get stuck. Don't try to remove the key to try and clean it, you will more than likely damage it.

Apple have this helpful guide on how to clean it - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

werfie

Expert Member
My 2017 MB pro 15 had the same issues. Seems keys only felt like they sticked. I installed the latest MacOS and issue fixed.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Technically you have a 2017 MacBook Pro. 2018 refresh will be out soon(ish).

But yes, you will just need to get used to it. Buy a bottle of compressed air and spray the keyboard when the keys get stuck. Don't try to remove the key to try and clean it, you will more than likely damage it.

Apple have this helpful guide on how to clean it - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662
Thanks for the link, I read it with interest. Pity, with the new MBP we now need to carry around a bunch of dongles and a can of compressed air. My keys get stuck several times a day - just in typing ths paragraph my "i" key has now gone and got stuck.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Apple really ought to supply a first aid bag to go with the new MBP - in the bag, you can keep all your USB, SD card, HDMI, magsafe dongles etc etc, and you can also keep a can of compressed air in there for cleaning out jammed keys on the keyboard :D

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yeah, have a couple of friends using them. I hate the lack of travel distance, it's also awkward to double tap a key and makes me slow down when typing quickly. The lack of tactile feedback annoys me.

I am one of those people that lug an external keyboard around with my laptop though, even though the keyboard adds an extra kilo in weight.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Leaves home to work abroad...
Laptop keys suddenly sticky...

I have a suspicion about what's going here, and would suggest perhaps a little more distance from the screen while.... browsing?

surfs-up

Expert Member
Leaves home to work abroad...
Laptop keys suddenly sticky...

I have a suspicion about what's going here, and would suggest perhaps a little more distance from the screen while.... browsing?
Not likely inspector, this happened within three days of new, and the laptop is only used while in a large open office, with about 27 other colleagues at adjacent desks. Hmmmmm.....I have a suspicion that you think that we all use our laptops for the same purpose as you do :D :D

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Thanks for the link, I read it with interest. Pity, with the new MBP we now need to carry around a bunch of dongles and a can of compressed air. My keys get stuck several times a day - just in typing ths paragraph my "i" key has now gone and got stuck.
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <tap tap TAP> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <TAP> <TAP> <TAP> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
<PSSSSSST>

<tappity tap tap tappity> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ^%(@$!*@#

tRoN

Expert Member
Aha. Also have a 2017 MBP with touchpad.
Happens to me all the time. Thought I was imagining things!

Seylan

I guess I'm one of those weird people who actually likes the butterfly keyboard. I think it feels great. My only complaint is that they sound a bit loud. The Touchbar has been more troublesome for me.