• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

2018 MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard a big mistake

snorbaard

This makes me so mad. At least Apple freed them of that kind of money when they made the phones and watches semi-waterproof.

If you need a reference to a Mom & Pop place that fixes macs and MacBooks from a home business (and you're in the JHB area) let me know. These guys fixed my MacBook that drowned in Sprite Zero and charged me R1600 for it. Same guys also fixed a Mac Mini gratis that was rejected by Core as "Unfixable - Need new motherboard" when *nothing* was wrong with it.

I'm going to be facing the Core monster later this month when I take my MacBook in to have the screen replaced due to the known but not official issue where the anti-glare coating comes off, making my screen look like it has a permanent case of psoriasis

tcofran

Expert Member
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <tap tap TAP> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <TAP> <TAP> <TAP> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
<PSSSSSST>

<tappity tap tap tappity> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ^%(@$!*@#
This was really funny !!!!

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
The thing is, you cant really replace the keyboard on these models as they are riveted to the top case.

So the only way to fix it is to take the whole logic board out and swap it into a new case.

This means that its going to cost core/apple a ton to fix one machine.

genetic

Honorary Master
The thing is, you cant really replace the keyboard on these models as they are riveted to the top case.

So the only way to fix it is to take the whole logic board out and swap it into a new case.

This means that its going to cost core/apple a ton to fix one machine.
The new iMacs and MBP's are virtually irreparable. Apple's own fault if it costs them more to repair/replace.

scud

I’m expecting core to try charge me to replace the keyboard , and then it will probably break again. What recourse do I have to simply ask for my money back if it’s still under the one year warranty

Wasabee!

Expert Member
I could just take a dump in the istore
You need to be a bit weird to go into those stores, like you have be level quirky lesbian vegetarian programmer with tatoos and does yoga or else you aren't cool or something. It is just a fanboi nerdfest for all who worship the messiah steve jobs.

I'm ready for you haters Try to rage on your crappy keyboards now.

airborne

Executive Member
The joys of "amazing new tech" that is the evolution of apple. Interesting that the lightest laptop in the world, made by LG, has removable/upgradeable ram and hard drive(if I recall correctly), so there goes that theory about saving space and weight.

The only reason why you solder everything onto the motherboard on a computer is to maximise profits, Apple even had the audacity to try that bs move on their desktops, since changed apparently but now so hard to access the ram and hard drive that it's clear apple is still trying their damnedest to limit user hardware upgrades.

In comparison for instance a high end Dell laptop will come with a 3yr next business day warranty and they will drive out to your home/office almost anywhere in Sa/world and replace whatever is the issue at your leisure. And they don't quibble unless it's blatantly obvious that it was user inflicted physical damage. I've used their warranties a few times, what a pleasure.

I've used cores warranty services once for a laptop and what a nightmare. Mission 100's of km to get to an istore, wait 2 weeks for it to get to core and for a tech to see it and then the bs starts, no idea what the fault really was because getting a straight answer from them is neigh impossible, eventually I gave up and just got it back and accepted defeat.

airborne

Executive Member
I forgot to mention that when I arrived at the iStore I was informed I hadn't made an appointment to see the stupid knob behind the service desk, aka at the "genius" counter.

There was almost no one else in the store so the snotty manager went to great lengths to teach me about making an appointment to see a "genius". Finally I was allowed to see one of the 2 guys hovering around the service desk, both deeply absorbed in twiddling their thumbs, obviously not amused by the intrusion my presence made in their zone of awesomeness.

It felt like I was getting a huge favour done for me, little did I know I was just being psychologically softened up for my forthcoming coming "Core" experience :crying:

Last edited:

Waylander

Expert Member
If you have one of the followig models, you can ring in your laptop to Apple, or oe of its authorized service providers, to either have idividual keys or the whole keyoard replaced, for free:

MacBook (Retina, 12-*inch, Early 2015)
MacBook (Retina, 12*-inch, Early 2016)
MacBook (Retina, 12-*inch, 2017)
MacBook Pro (13*-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-*inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-*inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-*inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (15-*inch, 2016)
MacBook Pro (15-*inch, 2017)
It may take a few days to fix up your Mac. If you have already shelled out for a repair, Apple will refud you. Which is all vey nice ut, shees w xpec d etter kit fro a $909n ech ga i sd ®

This story was typed up on one of El Reg's San Francisco office's busted Apple MacBook butterfly keyboards – put the correction email down.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/23/apple_macbook_keyboard_replacement_free/

surfs-up

Expert Member
Back to the topic on hand this is a serious and widespread issue. I had the shift key jam and luckily iStore honoured the guarantee where they needed to replace the entire lower assembly. Could I ask you to all sign the petition to pressure Apple to give extended support for this defective design issue

https://www.change.org/p/apple-apple-recall-macbook-pro-w-defective-keyboard-replace-with-different-working-keyboard
I have just signed the petition. I started this thread, and this issue sucks !!! I bought my MBP for flippin' R35 000.00, a few days before leaving for Kenya to start a two year work contract. So I couldn't send my MBP back to Core group.
My keys randomly get stuck down, not just one key but many. They get stuck down, and I have to keep on trying to lift them up with my fingernail - it is a matter of time before trying to lift the keys up will damage the keys