2018 Subaru WRX & WRX STI

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Homespun specials - The Subaru WRX STi Diamond Edition/BRV

If the purr of a domestic cat is therapeutic to humans, as some scientists say, then the ultra-low burble of the special STi hits like a banned substance …

"Did you find someone to dice?" my brother asked, gently mocking me as I arrived at his home in Vanderbijlpark. It was 20h00 on a Thursday, 45 minutes after I had left Sandton. Vanderbijl, like many other industrial and mining towns, have a subculture of home-grown, souped-up specials, often with outlandish visual enhancements.

"They were too scared to show themselves," I replied, as he looked at the car admiringly. His eyes followed the neon yellow edge trim of the body kit and I knew he was wondering what it will look like lit up by ultra-violet 'black' lights.

An hour later we went inside to discuss the car over a whisky and the drive for the next day from Bethlehem to Bloemfontein via Golden Gate and Ficksburg.

A diamond anniversary

Unlike a ‘Legend’ special edition Hilux, this Subaru, built to commemorate 30 years of Subaru Technica International (STi), did not just get tattoos and a bad attitude. No, there is the important matter of 39kW and 57Nm more power and torque above that of the standard WRX STi.

To endow it as such, a local team at Subaru Southern Africa under the guidance of Deon van Heerden reprogrammed the electronic control unit of the 2.5-litre Boxer engine of the normal car and fitted a performance exhaust system. They also fitted a new STi engine brace, pushed the left and right wheels apart by 20 mm and lowered the nose by 10mm.

Only thirty cars were developed, and according to Van Heerden they have managed "to develop the fastest and most powerful production STi ever released in South Africa with the Diamond Edition" and he is understandably very proud of his team.

It comes with a 5-year/150 000km warranty and a 3-year/75 000km full maintenance plan

These thirty cars are not the only Subaru-models in the world to celebrate 30 years of STi, but they could be the rarest. In Japan, the Type RA-R diamond edition for its domestic market uses a highly boosted version of the 2.0-litre engine that delivers 242kW of power and 432Nm of torque.

The United States also received a 30-year edition, but the unfortunate Britons – and the rest of the world – did not receive any, so we can count ourselves lucky …

From Vaal to gold

At 08h00 the next morning I set off for Bethlehem. By now I was used to the strong vibrato of the engine. Either my ears started to filter the excess noise or perhaps I was going a little deaf.

At 120km/h and 2 600rpm (in sixth gear) the 2.5-litre flat four emits a deep base that makes Bluetooth calls challenging at times. But, if the purr of a domestic cat is therapeutic to humans, as some scientists say, then the ultra-low burble of the special STi hits like a banned substance …

The road link between Heilbron and Bethlehem is of varied quality. The sports suspension and 19-inch Y-design alloy wheels (with 245/35 R19 rubber) did not appreciate the worst sections, but we had to soldier on.

After a Wimpy breakfast in Bethlehem, I headed East on the N5 and then peeled off onto the R57, travelling South until I reached a T-junction with the R712 – the road that dissects the Golden Gate National Park.

When the engineers at SSA put the STi on steroids, they did not just raise the power and torque output, but also made it easier to use. The standard car only reaches its 221kW maximum output at 6 000rpm, whereas the special edition needs only 4 500rpm to peak at 260kW – more powerful than even the Japanese market edition.

However, the 2.5-litre mill still suffers from substantial turbo lag. While not completely gutless at low revs, it takes a while to boost, and when the tacho needle flings from 4 000 to 6 000rpm, the driver experiences a few moments of Nirvana.

As in all new Scooby’s, the driver can adjust the throttle's sensitivity between low, mid, and high, or as the manufacturer calls it: Intelligent, Sport, and Sport Sharp.

The most direct route between Bethlehem and Clarens spans only 40km, but that is the mundane way. We decided to take a 123km detour that snakes through the crown jewel of the Free State province: Golden Gate Park.

The wind beneath my wing

I pulled over at the Eastern entrance of the park and considered adjusting the driver-controlled centre differential (DCCD) for the solo run through Golden Gate.

I then decided to rather apply the logic of engineers-know-best. So, I left it in Auto and let the car decide how it wanted to split the torque between the front and rear axles, on the fly.

Thankfully the road surface was mostly intact, but there were a few … yes, you have guessed it … potholes. Thankfully the STis razor-sharp reactions allow it to sidestep them with ease.

The steering is fast, and the front wheels are quick to react. While the hydraulic rudder is precise overall, it sometimes felt overly light with the steering wheel in the 12-o’clock position, especially when driven hard.

The symmetrical all-wheel drive allows for power drifting out of corners with confidence. But not too much power, as I found the stability control (Vehicle Dynamic Control or VCD) could be reluctant to engage. That is great for track driving, but not comfortable for most drivers on narrow mountain passes that happens to be public roads.

Tied to a rocket …

From Clarens, the road leading to Ficksburg has fast sweeps and long straights and is in a fair condition. Here the STi was in its element, but roadworks slowed me down, and the once pristine road between Ficksburg and Fouriesburg is now also in a sorry state.

Meanwhile, the rush of acceleration from 4 000 to 5 000rpm drained the tank and my wallet. I realised poverty is the only cure for this compulsion, and I eased off the throttle, letting the revs drop to 3 000 … and then lit it up again. This car does not want you to drive it prudently, so do not expect any Discovery Rewards for gradual acceleration or overtaking.

Treasure found

My visit to Bloemfontein was no casual one. I was on a mission to learn more about a car company named BRV. It has no relation to a Honda troupe carrier called BR-V, and the name has nothing to do with Bloemfontein.

Instead, it stands for Brandt Radical Vehicles, a family-owned business from the sleepy centre of South Africa with radical self-designed and built models. How radical? Well, considering its attributes, very radical.

For example; the BRV M-range has a monocoque chassis with 1.2 – 1.6mm steel body, an integrated roll-cage, leading-arm front suspension, and 325mm of ground clearance. Its default engine is a 2.8-litre Cummins turbodiesel, but if you want 4.0-litre Lexus V8 or 6.2-litre Chev LS3 V8 power, that is okay too.

"We have two kinds of customers," says Gerrit Brandt, the man responsible for procurement. “Farmers who want a vehicle that can withstand all conditions and guys who want exclusive toys.” Applications of the BRVs seem almost endless and there is interest from arms manufacturers too.

All the design, engineering, and production work are carried out by BRV, with tasks shared between Gerrit, Lourens, and Stiaan, as well as their father, Antonie, and mother, Marietjie.

The modest and soft-spoken Antonie, a former CSIR fuels researcher, founded the company some 16 years ago. The business designed and manufactured trailers and later a small off-road vehicle called the DTV Roadrunner.

Gerrit took me for a quick taxi ride in one of the latest BRVs: an M3 Extended Cab. The build quality is impeccable, and its suspension unperturbed by obstacles in its path.

Returning to the factory I thought of how successful home-grown cars have been in the past, but also how many broken dreams line this path. Having met the Brandts, and getting a small taste of their product, I cannot help but feel that BRV is headed for great things.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModel...he-subaru-wrx-sti-diamond-editionbrv-20181227

Scooby 1.JPG Scooby 2.JPG Scooby 3.JPG Scooby 4.JPG Scooby 5.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Subaru WRX STI S209

Subaru Tecnica International (STI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Subaru Corporation, introduced the limited-edition STI S209, the first-ever S-line STI product produced exclusively for the U.S. market. As an S-line product, the STI S209 encompasses upgrades in power, handling, aerodynamics and driver engagement, and undergoes final assembly in Kiryu, Japan, where it receives engine modifications and bodywork alterations that in total require it to be homologated for the U.S. by STI; thus, the S209 is considered the first "STI-built" Subaru sold in the U.S. The S209 carries on a high-performance tradition that dates to STI-built models that were exclusive to the Japanese domestic market - the 2000 S201 through the 2018 S208.

Designed with a focus on high-performance driving, the S209 draws inspiration and tech transfer from STI's most formidable track machine: the WRX STI Nürburgring Challenge racecar, which won the SP3T class at the 2018 24 Hours of Nürburgring, marking the fifth time STI dominated the SP3T class at the grueling endurance race. The S209, like the Nürburgring Challenge racecar, wears an expanded wide-body exterior treatment, which extends the vehicle's overall width to 72.4 inches, or 1.7 inches wider than a standard WRX STI. The bulging fenders accommodate wider front/rear tracks (+ 0.6 in front/rear) and 265/35 Dunlop® SP Sport Maxx® GT600A summer-only tires wrapped around lightweight 19 x 9-inch forged BBS alloy wheels. The all-new tires, developed exclusively for the S209 by Dunlop, are a significant contributor to the car's tenacious maximum lateral grip of over 1.0 g. Vents on the front fenders provide additional engine cooling, while vents on the rear fenders rectify air turbulence to reduce drag. Brembo brakes, with cross-drilled steel rotors and 6-piston monoblock front calipers and 2-piston monoblock rear calipers, provide stout stopping force, thanks in part to upgraded high-friction pads that deliver improved fade-resistance.

Underneath the S209's broader body are specially developed Bilstein® dampers, stiffened coil springs, a 20mm rear stabilizer bar and pillow-type bushings for the front/rear lateral links. The S209 incorporates reinforcements to the front crossmember and rear subframes and, a la the Nürburgring racecar, a flexible front-strut tower bar and flexible front/rear draw stiffeners. The flexible tower bar, unlike a conventional rigid bar, is split and joined with a pillow ball joint in the center to be longitudinally mobile while helping laterally stiffen the body of the car. The result is optimum tire grip during lateral moments combined with compliant ride during longitudinal moments. Meanwhile, the draw stiffeners apply tension between the body and cross member to optimize chassis flex, improving stability when cornering and delivering better ride, handling and steering response. Other Nürburgring racecar tech that trickles down to the S209: front, rear and side under spoilers; front bumper canards; and carbon-fiber roof panel and rear wing.

A thoroughly reworked version of the legendary EJ25 2.5-liter turbocharged BOXER engine propels the S209. Featuring an STI turbocharger manufactured by HKS®, the EJ25 serves up an estimated 341 horsepower, thanks in part to a larger turbine and compressor (up 6 and 8 percent, respectively, compared to WRX STI) as well as maximum boost pressure that has been increased to 18.0 psi (16.2 psi for WRX STI). Proudly displaying an S209 serial number plate, the enhanced BOXER engine utilizes forged pistons and connecting rods that are both lighter and stronger. Midrange torque, too, gets a notable bump, up 10 percent at 3,600 rpm, delivering higher corner exit speeds when driving on track.

https://www.netcarshow.com/subaru/2019-wrx_sti_s209/

6F28D19B-B50A-4C0D-890A-4A42350D88F4.jpeg 2CF1282B-4C08-455A-B9D2-8E0D1FEC4593.jpeg FE674AC2-F1A1-475A-8C76-3273C8F0D2C5.jpeg B76B3635-04B3-4995-8DC0-6A8109CC930F.jpeg A1B89D6A-8B96-4B1D-9428-1D1421E3E80F.jpeg A88E5B09-2A13-4A80-B713-B0443588379A.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Subaru STI S209 is most powerful Subaru yet

First S variant of STI to be sold in the States gets 336bhp from 2.5-litre boxer engine

Subaru has unveiled the STI S209, its most powerful model yet made, according to the brand.

The S209, a US-only halo model for its WRX STI hot hatch, has upgrades in power, handling, aerodynamics and driver engagement, said Subaru.

It is the first time an STI S model has been available in the US market. The S designation first showed up on a special-edition Impreza model, the S201, in 2000, while an S208 model was unveiled last year. However, they were only available in Japan.

The S209 is developed by Subaru Tecnica International, the car maker’s wholly owned performance arm. Subaru said it is inspired by the WRX STI Nürburgring Challenge race car, which won the SP3T class at the 2018 24 Hours of Nürburgring.

The Audi RS3 rival uses a heavily reworked version of Subaru’s well-known 2.5-litre boxer engine with a large turbo, delivering 336bhp. No more figures have been released.

Power is driven through the six-speed manual gearbox to all four wheels via Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive system.

There are also new front and rear limited-slip differentials along with a driver-controlled centre differential, plus a new torque vectoring system.

Improved aerodynamics allow for higher cornering speeds and an additional 1g of lateral grip, according to Subaru.

The limited-run model of 200 units is being produced exclusively for the US and is on sale in late 2019.

There are two paint colours: white and blue, a bespoke wheel design and carbon fibre roof.

Subaru STI president Yoshio Hirakawa said: “What makes STI unique is its philosophy. What’s behind the wheel is as important as what’s under the hood. STI vehicles provide speed with performance and enjoyment.

He continued: “For STI, the S model represents our highest level of technical performance, it is our halo model.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...show/subaru-sti-s209-most-powerful-subaru-yet

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Subaru introduces refreshed WRX with latest EyeSight and smarter tech

• Safest WRX yet with the latest version of EyeSight
• Exciting Performance Options available
• Improved Comfort and Smarter Tech
• Upgraded interior materials and quieter cabin

The thrill of a rumbling 197kW, turbocharged Boxer engine working in tandem with the grip of the famous Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system is absolute and exciting, says Subaru.

This performance is something for which the Subaru WRX is known.

Born on the rally tracks of the world, the WRX name has been carved into the pages of history as a winning performer at all levels of motorsport. It’s prowess quickly found its way into Subaru road cars, the combination of its powerful Boxer® motor and Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive™ ensuring a safe and controllable, yet exciting driving experience.

The 2019 Subaru WRX, carries this philosophy forward in an altogether safer and smarter package. Upgrades to the comfort, technology and safety make for a more compelling and relevant sports sedan package.

Next Gen Safety

Subaru never stops working to improve the safety of its vehicles, even those that have already achieved 5* ratings across all ratings agencies across the world. The Subaru WRX is stronger and safer than ever before. With ever-improving production methods, the WRX front end crash structure has been improved for better safety performance in frontal collisions. New on the 2019 WRX is a rear fog lamp now for improved visibility.

The WRX is also fitted with all of the active safety features that come standard on all Subaru vehicles.

Subaru Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), is one such feature, a more advanced version of electronic stability control. This combination of Subaru symmetrical full-time all-wheel-drive and VDC results in increased levels of traction and safer road holding.

As with most premium CVT-equipped Subaru vehicles, the Subaru WRX features the award-winning EyeSight Driver Assistance system.

However, the new WRX features the latest version 3.0. EyeSight which employs stereo cameras and works as an extra set of eyes, monitoring the road ahead and working to mitigate collisions. EyeSight technology is one of the highest-rated front crash prevention systems tested by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS).

The system cleverly integrates features like Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre-Collision Braking, Lane Departure and Lane Sway Warning. Specifically new to Version 3.0 is the EyeSight Assist Monitor (EAM) which uses LED indicators on the windshield to alert, warn or inform the driver of an EyeSight function without drivers having to take their eyes off the road.

Also new on vehicles equipped with this version of EyeSight is an Auto Vehicle Hold(AVH) function. This is a smarter and more versatile feature that replaces the previous Hill Start Assist function. AVH now holds the vehicle on all road gradients, not only inclines. A useful use of this feature for example, would be when stopped at traffic lights.

Blind Spot Detection as well as Rear Cross Traffic Alert are also part of the WRX safety repertoire.

Legendary performance

WRX has written its name into the pages of motorsport and motoring history with a reputation for being so controllable and composed even at the very limits of grip and speed. The ability to harness pure power and control is what makes the WRX so confidence-inspiring.

Power from the 4-cylinder, horizontally-opposed Boxer petrol engine is 197kW at 5600rpm and torque is 350Nm between 2400 – 5200rpm.

The direct-injection motor features a twin-scroll turbocharger as well as an intercooler, another notable trait of the WRX name.

For 2019, the WRX will be offered in South Africa in two derivatives: The WRX Lineartronic® CVT and the WRX MT.

Top speed is 240km/h for both derivatives and the 0 – 100km/h dash takes just 6.3 seconds for the CVT and just 6.0 seconds in the manual transmission.

Lineartronic-CVT models feature Subaru’s Intelligent Drive system (SI-DRIVE), a powertrain performance management system that allows the driver to tailor the driving characteristics of the car through three modes: Intelligent(I), Sport(S) and Sport Sharp(S#) are selected via a series of switches on the flat-bottomed sports steering wheel. Intelligent mode is the most efficient, relaxed mode most often used for regular commuting and traffic.

Sport mode increases the throttle response and change the transmission operate as a 6-speed manual should the driver select the M(Manual) gear selector. Sport Sharp changes the engine’s characteristics to deliver an even quicker throttle response. In this mode, the transmission operates as an 8-speed in both normal and manual modes.

For both the WRX MT and the WRX Lineartronic CVT, this power is delivered to the road through Subaru’s legendary Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system. But where the Manual version uses a more conventional viscous coupling that distributes torque equally, the Lineartronic CVT uses a Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) version of All-Wheel-Drive. VTD splits the torque 45:55 in most circumstances to complement handling agility. The Subaru WRX finds its grip on Dunlop 245/40R18 tires.

The car remains the compact sports sedan for which it has become known. It’s now more practical, smarter and more aggressive. Also optional on the vehicle are wheel spacers that increase the track on each side of the car by 20mm, giving the car and even more purposeful and sporty design.

Other notable design features are the side mirrors finished in satin chrome, the lower sports body kit and the striking red Jurid brake Calipers.

Premium, tech-laden cabin

Subaru has gone to great lengths to build a cabin that exudes quality, durability comfort and excitement. The trim levels are high quality, with a mix of soft-touch materials, leather and carbon fibre panel inlays. The flat-bottomed sports steering wheel is tilt and reach-adjustable with switches for audio, SI-DRIVE and EyeSight.

The red-on-black stitching on the leather seats and steering wheel add a sporty touch to cabin. Layers of tech and comfort features abound from the drivers 8-way electrically-adjustable seat, to the full colour high definition multi-function display on which most vehicle functions and settings can viewed.

Infotainment is of the highest standard too, fully enabled for Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Auxiliary connectivity through a 7-inch screen. 7 Harmon Kardon sound speakers are fitted throughout the cabin for 440W of premium audio quality and entertainment. Specified on the 2019 Subaru WRX vehicles, the on-board equipment includes Satellite Navigation as standard.

Pricing

The Subaru WRX is available in South Africa in two derivatives:

2.0 Turbocharged, manual transmission - R581 400.

2.0 Turbocharged, Sports Lineartronic CVT - R631 400.

All derivatives are sold with a 3 year or /75000km Full Maintenance Plan (extendable options available) and a 5-year or 150 000km Warranty.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModel...ith-latest-eyesight-and-smarter-tech-20190205

WRX 1.JPG WRX 2.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Tested: Does Subaru's Impreza WRX auto still have fizz?

Ah, the mighty WRX. Once a legend of the dirt in the World Rally Championship, now equipped with a (insert that crying emoji here) CVT gearbox and an intelligent safety system that makes it near impossible to crash (unless you’re being a complete loon behind the wheel, of course).

Welcome to the 2019 iteration of Subaru’s beloved boxer-engined muscle sedan, a car that was once (and possibly still is) the cheapest way to make you feel like a rally driver. For 2019, Subaru’s upped the ante (in terms of luxury and safety spec) in the WRX auto, making it more alluring than those particularly popular ‘Sportpack-ed’ and ‘M-packed’ entry-level German sedans that you see on the road everyday.
It’s fast. It looks menacing. And it makes noises that petrolheads (even if you’re not a Scooby fan) will appreciate. Let’s tuck in then.

What's under the hood?

You get the same treatment as last year’s model, which is not a bad thing, really. Under the bonnet is a 2.0-litre turbocharged flat-four, similar to the unit fitted to the sorely missed previous-generation Forester XT.

In terms of grunt, flat out, when the rev counter touches 5600rpm, you’ll be riding 197kW of power. Peak torque (350Nm) comes in much earlier, at 2400rpm, which is sustained to 5200rpm, meaning you get this nice wide band of driveability in pretty much any gear.

Speaking of gears, in Sport Sharp(#) mode, activated by pushing a dedicated toggle switch on the steering wheel and moving the gear shift selector into manual mode, you can access eight fixed ‘ratios’ through the continously variable transmission.

CVT is not the best choice for this car, to be honest, because... the manual is still available. But, for what it’s worth, in the bustling city traffic of Johannesburg and along the gridlocked Gauteng highways, I did not miss the third pedal at all. It was just those odd occassions where you want to just blast through gears, not doing crazy speeds, but controlling the car with a clutch and manual shifter that made me miss the ‘stick’.

Gaining eyesight

One of the key reasons Subaru sent the latest WRX to Drive360 was so that we could test the car’s standard Eyesight Safety System.

So, to evaluate it, I decided that a lengthy high journey was in order. I jumped on the N1 highway heading south at the Rivonia Road intersection, quickly accelerating up the on-ramp to merge with traffic. Seamless merging, seamless gap taking, seamless.... that’s what it felt like when pushing on in the car.

After a minute or two of accelerating and braking using the pedals, I decided to switch on the Adaptive Cruise Control system (part of the Eyesight package) just before the traffic started to calm for the William Nicol off-ramp. Setting the distance to the car in front of me for the smallest (safest) possible gap, because I know someone will jump in there to cut me off if I left too much of a gap, I let the car take over the momentum control while I just concentrated on steering the thing. It worked beautifully, and as expected. Quickly accelerating as traffic speeds picked up, and ready to brake when the person in front started to slow down (before I even saw their brake lights come on by the way).

I was impressed at the responsiveness of the system. It’s not often that Japanese cars come to South Africa with these cool safety systems, perhaps Honda and Lexus if you want, and if you are considering active vehicle safety systems as one of your key parameters of what to buy next, you won’t find fault in this Scoob’s safety credentials. Active, passive, it’s all there to keep you on the tarmac, in an upright position.

Worthwhile alternative?

If you’ve been living with an entry-level luxury German sedan for a few years already, or if you made that switch to an SUV but you’re yearning for something with a little more sizzle and drama, then this car’s tyres are worth kicking.

Measuring in at 4595mm in length, 1795mm in width, 1475mm in height, and with a wheelbase of 2650mm, you’re getting a decent sized sedan... not ungainly or too big to negotiate a cityscape in, but also compact enough to feel taught and sporty when going for a ‘fast’-ish drive.

Driver, front passenger and rear passengers also have enough space, and for the driver particularly, everything (all the controls and the switchgear that matters) is easy to find and make use of.
In fact, particular mention must be made of the comfort of the rear seats of the car. It’s so comfortable in fact that I wrote this road test from the back seat.

You won’t want for features in the WRX either as it comes with Auto-On LED headlamps that respond to the direction you’re steering in, ensuring the best possible lighting at all times. If you struggle to see at night, you’ll particularly like how the headlamps illuminate the road and the signage adjacent to it. I found my eyes were straining less after a night time test drive too.

You also get a fresh set of 18-inch aluminium-alloy wheels in a striking gunmetal finish, everything that needs to be electic is electric, including the driver’s seat, you get climate control, Apple Carplay (Android Auto too), Paddle Shifters on the steering wheel, Hill Hold Assist, Keyless entry with a push-button start system, and red brake calipers and red stiching on the seats. It’s genuinely well appointed and the Eyesight system adds to its feel of ‘grown-upness’ and maturity.

VERDICT

With the ability to sprint from a standstill to 100km/h in 6.3 seconds and with enough grunt to keep on accelerating to a claimed maximum velocity of 240km/h, very few cars (at this price point) can live with WRX CVT on a daily grind.

Yes, the odd Golf R might show you a clean pair of heels in a traffic lights grand prix, but this car’s not about the 1/4-mile... it’s about enjoying the bends and the all-wheel grip that comes with it. Well-specced, with a five-year/150 000km warranty and a three-year/75 000km maintenance plan, and brimming with presence and feel, it’s a tough car not to recommend to moms and dads that like to drive hard whenever the opportunity presents itself.

A great all-rounder, at an acceptable price... and dare I say it, it makes more sense than the STI model that sits at the top of Subaru’s current portfolio of cars.

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/road...rus-impreza-wrx-auto-still-have-fizz-19274989

4EE8B1BC-BB65-4966-AF4B-39EF9AC57FF5.jpeg BBCB4545-F649-4B67-99E9-973BA1C4118B.jpeg 4BA2B2B0-94B2-4949-A013-D5137CBFD579.jpeg 5D2F500F-9A84-4D56-B6C6-C9BC19ED9161.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
U.S. Buyers Still Overwhelmingly Choose a Manual for the Subaru BRZ and WRX

It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that Subaru still has decent manual sales in a market where carmakers can’t give a third pedal away, given that its buyers are often either outdoorsy dog people or street hoons. But manual take rates in the BRZ and WRX, at least in the U.S., even manage to outshine the Mazda Miata—as well as the BRZ’s Toyota twin, the 86.

We, along with every other car website, have written a lot about take rates for new cars with manual transmissions lately. They’re mostly low, which isn’t a surprise given how quickly even the holdouts are losing their manual options. But no dark sky is without a bright spot, no matter how small.

Autoblog wrote about one of those bright spots Tuesday—Subaru buyers. Subaru sent Autoblog its 2018 take rates, which were impressive: The company sold 78 percent of BRZs with a manual, and an incredible 90 percent of WRXs sold with a clutch pedal instead of the car’s optional continuously variable transmission.

https://jalopnik.com/u-s-buyers-still-overwhelmingly-choose-a-manual-for-th-1834945061

Subaru.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Subaru WRX due in 2020, could get smaller engine - report

It’s been a long time in the making, but Subaru is finally getting around to replacing its aging WRX line-up, according to new reports out of Japan.

Japanese website BestCarWeb reports that new-generation WRX and WRX STI sedans, as well as a fresh Levorg wagon, will enter production in 2020, although they could be shown off in concept form as soon as this year’s Tokyo Motor Show, which takes place in October.

According to the publication, downsized engines also appear to be on the cards, with the new WRX sedan likely getting a new 1.8-litre turbo unit that produces around 200kW, and the Levorg sporting an even smaller 1.5-litre motor that's tuned to 110kW.

The STI, on the other hand, is looking set to receive a new-generation 2-litre turbo engine, featuring direct injection, and an output in the region of 235kW.

The new WRX, STI and Levorg models will shift onto the Subaru Global Platform, but it remains to be seen just how closely they will be related to the latest Impreza. The current WRX models share their basic body shell with the previous-gen Impreza, but have unique frontal styling. However, there is reason to hope that the new performance sedans will have a more distinct personality this time around.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The 2019 Subaru WRX STI S209 Has So Much Grip Even Race Car Drivers Struggle To Get It Sideways

Verdict
It’s hard to come to a strong verdict now without knowing how much Subaru plans to charge folks for the S209. In the event presentation, they mentioned the car’s carbon roof—which saves eight pounds of weight—is commonly only available on cars valued around $70,000. The 2018 STI Type RA was around $50,000.

I would guess we can expect the S209 to MSRP for somewhere between that, at least before the dealerships throw on their markups and people start asking ridiculous sums for the car on Bring A Trailer a year out from its November delivery date.

On paper, maybe the S209 will not quite seem to be enough for what people will have to pay for it, if only because the next STI better step up to a level pretty close to matching this. But given how popular the STI has become in America, Subaru will have no problem moving 209 of these. I just hope owners go out and actually drive them.

Screenshot_20190926_212008.jpg Screenshot_20190926_211951.jpg Screenshot_20190926_211937.jpg Screenshot_20190926_211928.jpg Screenshot_20190926_212021.jpg Screenshot_20190926_211917.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Subaru's EJ20 Swansong

A legendary engine is coming to its end.

Subaru is paying homage to three decades of its most renowned engine, with a special edition of the Impreza WRX STI.

The new release is named EJ20 Final Edition and if you know Subaru’s technical codes off by heart, that naming convention will make a lot of sense.

Since 1989, the EJ20 boxer engine architecture has been the basis for most of Subaru's performance cars. This engine brought the brand great cachet and in Japan, followers of Subaru remain fanatically committed to it.

Design elements which have been applied to the EJ20 Final Edition include gold BBS alloys wheels and pink grille surround edging. Subaru isn’t confirming the power outputs for its EJ20 Final Edition, yet, as these will only become official closer to the Tokyo auto show. The most potent version of its current EJ20 engine, boosts 242 kW and 432 Nm, so those figures would establish a baseline target for the EJ20 Final Edition engine’s statistics.

631535.jpg 631537.jpg 631534.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Next Subaru WRX STI May Be Two-Door Coupe With Help From Toyota

A new report from Japan’s Best Car is claiming the next-generation Subaru WRX STI could reportedly abandon its current four-door body style to bring back the coupe format not seen since the rally-inspired car’s first generation.

The publication suggests the regular WRX will make use of an updated version of the current 2.0-litre turbo power plant known as the FA20 and will reportedly use an improved version of Subaru’s performance all-wheel-drive system, upgraded with the help of Toyota.

Concept.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Subaru Is Apparently Teaming Up With Toyota For A New WRX STI

Rumor has it that Subaru, after Toyota’s shares in the company increased from sixteen to twenty percent, could be teaming up with Toyota for the newest iteration of the WRX STI. Possibly even more interesting is the fact that the duo would be abandoning the WRX’s four-door body style to get back to the model’s first-gen roots.

Everything is pretty much in the “word on the street” phase right now, but Japan’s Best Car website has caught the attention of plenty of auto enthusiasts with this latest rumor. Subaru and Toyota are reportedly working together on a shared WRX platform that could potentially have connections to the Yaris WRC and something called the “Super AWD.”

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Subaru WRX STI Diamond Edition vs Honda Civic Type R - Car Magazine