2018 VW Polo Vivo Comfortline 1.4 (63KW) OR 2017 VW Polo 1.2 TSI Trendline (66KW)

Espee

So my question is, is it better to get the new VW Polo Vivo in Comfortline 1.4 (63KW) OR the outgoing 2017 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI Trendline (66KW)?

They are basically exactly the same price (if you take a second hand Polo with about 10,000km), same power and looks the same, but which one has the better features?

This, I think would be a good comparison and I would love your guys' opinion.

Sumen

Expert Member
So my question is, is it better to get the new VW Polo Vivo in Comfortline 1.4 (63KW) OR the outgoing 2017 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI Trendline (66KW)?

They are basically exactly the same price (if you take a second hand Polo with about 10,000km), same power and looks the same, but which one has the better features?

This, I think would be a good comparison and I would love your guys' opinion.
As I said in the other thread, The full spec sheet hasn't been released as yet for the Vivo, it's not even listed on their website as yet.

Espee

As I said in the other thread, The full spec sheet hasn't been released as yet for the Vivo, it's not even listed on their website as yet.
Here are the 2018 Vivo specs http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/Volkswagen_Polo/this-is-how-much-the-new-volkswagen-polo-vivo-costs-in-sa-20180212:

1.4 55 kW Trendline Interior

3-spoke steering wheel

Radio 140G SD/USB/Bluetooth with B-sting/4 Speakers

Gearshift knob with leatherette gearshift boot

Cup holders integrated into centre console

‘Traditional’ cloth seat trim
Functional Equipment

Exterior mirrors, manually adjustable from inside, drivers side aspherical

Front electric windows

Air-conditioner

Power steering

Height and reach adjustable steering column

Full size steel spare wheel

Tinted windows

Exterior

Exterior side mirrors and door handle in black

Painted bumpers in body colour, front and rear

Rear wiper

Safety and Security

Driver and passenger airbags

2 Head restraints front (height adjustable) and rear

Rear window

heated

ABS

Child lock on rear doors

ISOFIX child seat mounting points

1.4 63kW Comfortline

Same standard features as Trendline plus:

Exterior

Front Fog Lights

Body coloured door handles and side mirrors

Interior

‘City’ cloth seat trim

Multi-function display

Multi-functioning steering wheel

Functional Equipment

Height adjustable driver seat

Optional Features

Cruise Control

Removable Towbar

Storage Package (Front centre armrest and drawer under driver’s seat)

Radio 340G SD/USB/Bluetooth/ App Connect with B-sting/4 Speakers

Leather seats

Floor mats front and rear

’Estrada’ 15-inch alloy wheels

Smoker’s package

Safety Package (Electronic Stability Control and Tyre Pressure Monitor)

‘Vienna’ Leather Trim

http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/Volkswagen_Polo/this-is-how-much-the-new-volkswagen-polo-vivo-costs-in-sa-20180212

Last edited:

Espee

There are the specs, but I'm not sure how they compare with the Trendline Polo from 2017.

Sumen

Expert Member
Here are the 2018 Vivo specs http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/Volkswagen_Polo/this-is-how-much-the-new-volkswagen-polo-vivo-costs-in-sa-20180212:

1.4 55 kW Trendline Interior

3-spoke steering wheel

Radio 140G SD/USB/Bluetooth with B-sting/4 Speakers

Gearshift knob with leatherette gearshift boot

Cup holders integrated into centre console

‘Traditional’ cloth seat trim
Functional Equipment

Exterior mirrors, manually adjustable from inside, drivers side aspherical

Front electric windows

Air-conditioner

Power steering

Height and reach adjustable steering column

Full size steel spare wheel

Tinted windows

Exterior

Exterior side mirrors and door handle in black

Painted bumpers in body colour, front and rear

Rear wiper

Safety and Security

Driver and passenger airbags

2 Head restraints front (height adjustable) and rear

Rear window

heated

ABS

Child lock on rear doors

ISOFIX child seat mounting points

1.4 63kW Comfortline

Same standard features as Trendline plus:

Exterior

Front Fog Lights

Body coloured door handles and side mirrors

Interior

‘City’ cloth seat trim

Multi-function display

Multi-functioning steering wheel

Functional Equipment

Height adjustable driver seat

Optional Features

Cruise Control

Removable Towbar

Storage Package (Front centre armrest and drawer under driver’s seat)

Radio 340G SD/USB/Bluetooth/ App Connect with B-sting/4 Speakers

Leather seats

Floor mats front and rear

’Estrada’ 15-inch alloy wheels

Smoker’s package

Safety Package (Electronic Stability Control and Tyre Pressure Monitor)

‘Vienna’ Leather Trim

http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/Volkswagen_Polo/this-is-how-much-the-new-volkswagen-polo-vivo-costs-in-sa-20180212
Oh, ok thanks.
Let me compare and we can discuss it just now.

Sumen

Expert Member
@Espee
So I looked at specs and previous gen Polo is very similar to the Comfortline Vivo.

You lose and you gain some features like, in the Polo you don't get fog lights ,body coloured door handles and mirrors and a multi- function display which are all available in the Comfortline Vivo.

What you lose out in the Vivo is the service plan, ESC and turbo-charged engine.

Firstly I would test drive both models to see whether you are ok with the vivo's engine compared to the Polo's.

Personally I would go with Vivo, provided it's engine is decent, you have the option to add alloy wheels and the app connect infortainment.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The old Polo. It'll still be miles better then the Vivo. It's a proper VW with the perceived quality, wheras the Vivo might be in a new body but it's still a vivo

Last edited:

Espee

@Espee
So I looked at specs and previous gen Polo is very similar to the Comfortline Vivo.

You lose and you gain some features like, in the Polo you don't get fog lights ,body coloured door handles and mirrors and a multi- function display which are all available in the Comfortline Vivo.

What you lose out in the Vivo is the service plan, ESC and turbo-charged engine.

Firstly I would test drive both models to see whether you are ok with the vivo's engine compared to the Polo's.

Personally I would go with Vivo, provided it's engine is decent, you have the option to add alloy wheels and the app connect infortainment.
Thanks man. That is more or less what I thought as well. I'll go give both a test drive and then decide. I think I'll be happy with either engine and then rather get a brand new Polo Vivo.

Thanks for comparing! Really appreciate it!

Lupus

Honorary Master
Why though?
Because the Vivo will not have the "refinement" of the Polo. You also get the MFD, coloured door handles and mirrors on the trendline, fog lights aren't really needed and honestly those wouldn't be why I get a car.
The Vivo doesn't have the overall refinement of the Polo, they've cut costs and you'll notice it.

Last edited:

Ecko_1

I'm a VW loyalist. But even I am moving brands with the purchase of my wife's next car. Vw is just ridiculous with the price of their cars and what little features you get

stiller26

Because the Vivo will not have the "refinement" of the Polo. You also get the MFD, coloured door handles and mirrors on the trendline, fog lights aren't really needed and honestly those wouldn't be why I get a car.
The Vivo doesn't have the overall refinement of the Polo, they've cut costs and you'll notice it.
And I think the now old Polo has 4 airbags compared to the 2 of the now new Vivo.

stroller

Expert Member
I'm a VW loyalist. But even I am moving brands with the purchase of my wife's next car. Vw is just ridiculous with the price of their cars and what little features you get
I agree with Sumen that there is better value for money and suggest you take a Suzuki Baleno for a spin.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Still getting 55 kW from a 1.4? Do they put in extra effort to de-tune it? Kia gets 65kw from a 1.2.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Still getting 55 kW from a 1.4? Do they put in extra effort to de-tune it? Kia gets 65kw from a 1.2.
Seems like they do, it must be the only 55kW 1.4 left on the market, probably VW planning to attain some legendary status by keeping it.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
12nm more torque on the VW (132nm) - agreed though, still a very weak engine in this day and age. 1.4 Corollas from more than a decade ago were putting out 71Kw/127nm IIRC.

Then again, as per The Grand Tour, you can't directly compare German horses to Chinese/Korean horses

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That 1.4i was the first fuel injected engine that made it to the Citi golf. In true Citi golf fashion they will milk that dead cow for eons to come. I actually forgot about the Corolla, when they switched down to the 1.3 with 74kw and 6 speed gearbox it pleasantly surprised most skeptics of smaller engines, taking into account it was 10+ years ago. Yet still we have these lackluster mills from VWSA.

adam88

I was actually looking for the Vivo thread and came across this. He wants the 63kw 1.4i Comfortline.

I am looking at the differences too, though the Vivo is newer and is going to cost you almost 200k. I can frankly not justify paying 200k for a car that is using a motor that is almost 20 years old. It is the same motor that is in a 1.4i CitiRox and Velociti.

I would rather go for a TSi or opt for a ecoboost fiesta. There is no value for money in a Vivo tbh.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I was actually looking for the Vivo thread and came across this. He wants the 63kw 1.4i Comfortline.

I am looking at the differences too, though the Vivo is newer and is going to cost you almost 200k. I can frankly not justify paying 200k for a car that is using a motor that is almost 20 years old. It is the same motor that is in a 1.4i CitiRox and Velociti.

I would rather go for a TSi or opt for a ecoboost fiesta. There is no value for money in a Vivo tbh.
It is value for money in VWSA bank account :p

Yes rather opt for demo TSI comfortline.