2019 BMW 3 Series (G20)

Drifter

Honorary Master
"
The cabin and tech

One area in which BMW really needed to improve dramatically on the F30-generation 3 Series was the business-class sedan's cabin execution. Outgunned by the Audi A4 with its Virtual Cockpit digital instrumentation and solidly-made, minimalist layout, as well as the technology on offer in the revised Mercedes-Benz C-Class, the outgoing 3 Series' cabin felt underwhelming and outdated. This has changed and now we'd argue that BMW has taken the digital dashboard concept and leapfrogged its rivals to boot. The traditional round dials have been replaced by some fresh and modern looking gauges and while our OCD was mildly tweaked by the idea of a counter-clockwise rotating rev counter, it really looks the part. "

That will freak me out.

Pho3nix

The Legend
I might not be the best person to ask because I only drove the previous generate on a handful of times. The ride quality is much better, the interior has caught up with the time but what I really liked was the engine in the 330i.

Northcliff dealership?

Craig_

Honorary Master
Just wait 2 years and there will be a million of them for sale for under R350k.

That's still to much for me, poor bastard over here. And after that they become affordable to keep on the road. So that's also not happening. :(

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
That's still to much for me, poor bastard over here. And after that they become affordable to keep on the road. So that's also not happening. :(

I will probably try and myself 320D in few years time, but I would need one with automatic driving tech fitted.

Few years meaning when they out of motorplan :p

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New BMW 3 Series Tackles SA's Best Roads

The new BMW 3 Series has arrived in South Africa and along with the usual media information, came some excellent photography showing off both the car and some beautiful driving roads of the Western Cape.

Available in just 320d and 330i flavours for now, the new BMW 3 Series seems to have hit the mark in the luxury sedan segment. The launch in March 2019 was held in the Western Cape and we had the chance to drive both models. Usually, media publications are supplied with international photos, which aren't always relevant to our market as some vehicles are either left-hand drive or the specification is wrong. Here we have SA-spec BMW 3 Series units being driven around on some spectacular stretches of South African tarmac, enjoy the photos.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/new-bmw-3-series-tackles-sas-best-roads/46301/

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New 2019 BMW 3 Series driven

The BMW 3 Series is as part of South African culture, as the word lekker. Everyone knows the 3. From the 'Gusheshe to the G-String and the Dolphin'.

BMW’s 3 Series has left an indelible mark on Mzansi, even though BMW SA has swopped it out of their Rosslyn Plant, after 35 years, to build the more in demand X3.

Fast forward to 2019 and the seventh iteration of the BMW’s compact sports sedan is here.

I got behind the wheel of two derivatives available at launch: 330i and 320d. Both G20 derivatives employ four-cylinder, two-litre engines, the one a turbo petrol and the other a turbodiesel.

The 330i has 190kW and 400Nm, the 320d produces 140kW and a meaty 400Nm. All that power is channelled through an ultra-smooth 8-speed automatic gearbox.

BMW says each model weighs around 55kg less ( the same as 17 600 tea bags) than its predecessor and the most powerful model (for now) feels rapid.

The power delivery doesn’t feel as hard core compared to the previous car, the 330i, but it’ll reach 100km/h from standstill in 5.8 seconds says BMW. It boasts a lower centre of gravity and 50:50 weight distribution and is stiffer and wider than before.

But how does all of that translate into the driving experience? Pretty well, in fact. It seemed quieter and more refined than ever, but with Franschhoek Pass at my disposal the 3 Series quickly showed its dynamic agility.

It has more than enough mid-range grunt to make tackling a tight, twisty mountain pass more enjoyable than eating your favourite chocolate. The auto ‘box does a fine job of changing cogs on its own. Paddle shifts can be specified too. And yes, it still offers authentic rear-wheel driving thrills.

As I mentioned before, it has grown up and feels even more executive than ever thanks to a bigger cabin, an optional 26cm touchscreen and connected drive features.

The new 3’s levels of refinement are almost scary in how quickly the car picks up speed. It does so seamlessly and puts its proverbial hand up as a complete all-rounder. The 320d’s indicated range of almost 900km shows how much one can eke out of the tank. We averaged around 6.0-litre/100km, despite driving the car quite hard.

While the driving experience feels more 'grown up', BMW has also added more safety features like lane departure warning, collision and pedestrian warning with city braking function. The new 3 will even drive itself momentarily thanks to the updated adaptive cruise control feature.

Inside the cabin, everything is neatly laid out and the quality of the switchgear appears impressive. I preferred the normal steering wheel to the thicker-rimmed wheel on our Sport Line test model. Pricing for both models, starts at R634 000 and you’ll get LED headlights as standard amongst other items.

BMW quotes the boot size at 480 litres.

The new 3 is an impressive package that’s hard to fault. It looks good (see pics), goes well and offers more tech than the 3 has ever seen.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/new-2019-bmw-3-series-driven-20190310

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW M Shares Some Info On New M3 Engine

There have been plenty rumours and talk about the next-gen BMW M3 but nothing has been very official. This week though the head of product planning for BMW M, Carsten Pries, shed some light on their upcoming sports sedan.

Just as expected it will use the same engine as the one seen in the new X3 M and X4 M which means it will be a twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight six pushing out 473 hp (353 kW) and 600 Nm in the base (Pure) version. Step up to the M3 Competition and BMW will reward you with 503 hp (375 kW) and the same amount of torque as the lesser models. Again, these output numbers are identical to those of the equivalent X3 M and X4 M in Competition guise.

The M3 will also get a xDrive setup similar to the mighty M5 where you will be able to pop it into rear-wheel-drive mode for some sideways smokey action. The mad M5 will also lend its electronic steering system, but recalibrated for the lower curb weight of the M3.

There’s still no confirmation yet about that “Pure” model with a rear-wheel-drive-only layout and a manual gearbox, but EVO reports a future M3 CS version might offer this purist-approved formula.

We will see the new M3 in September at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show, but we’re keeping our fingers crossed for an online reveal a few weeks sooner.

https://www.zero2turbo.com/2019/03/bmw-m-shares-some-info-on-new-m3-engine.html

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Oh, and I do not like the notch in the headlights on this new beemer. Or the way the brake lights stand proud of the tailight cluster. I dunno which car maker started this lumpy light story but they should be condemned.

SDM

I saw some on a car transporter on Monday. Looks like an Audi from behind. It took a little while to realise it was the new 3 series.