2019 BMW 3 Series (G20)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
G-Power Push BMW M340i XDrive To New M3 Matching 503 HP (375 KW)

G-Power decided it needed a little more and is now offering three levels of power for the performance 3er.

Starting with the GP-420 kit you will get 414 hp (309 kW) and 600 Nm of torque which is enough grunt to hit 100 km/h in 4 seconds flat (0.4s quicker than stock).

G-Power’s GP-510 kit adds a new turbocharger with enlarged compressor and turbine wheels and larger CNC-milled housings for higher peak boost. When combined with the upgrades from the GP-470 tune, it delivers 503 hp (375 kW) and 690 Nm which is exactly the same as the upcoming G20 M3. Zero to 100 km/h is now dealt with in just 3.7 seconds. This tune will set you back €5840 (approx. R120k) which seems pretty reasonable considering the performance gains.

G-Power-BMW-M340i-xDrive-9-1.jpgG-Power-BMW-M340i-xDrive-7-1.jpgG-Power-BMW-M340i-xDrive-6-1.jpgG-Power-BMW-M340i-xDrive-8-1.jpgG-Power-BMW-M340i-xDrive-5-1.jpgG-Power-BMW-M340i-xDrive-1-1.jpgG-Power-BMW-M340i-xDrive-2-1.jpgG-Power-BMW-M340i-xDrive-10-1.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
These Swiss tuners have built an Alpina B3 Touring rival

If BMW won’t give us an M3 Touring, the tuners will have to do it for us

If you’ve ever graced these pages before, you’ll know exactly how much we love almost everything that Alpina builds. You’ll also know that the new 455bhp B3 Touring holds a special place in our hearts, because BMW flat-out refuses to give us a proper M3 estate.

But wait – there’s now another option for those who want a bonkers quick Bavarian wagon, courtesy of Swiss tuning company Dähler.

What you see above started life as a 369bhp, four-wheel drive BMW M340i xDrive Touring – or in other words, peak 3 Series whilst we wait for the new M3 saloon. But Dähler decided that was totally inadequate, so now offers two stages of power increases. First up is Level 1, which ups power to 429bhp and torque to 464lb ft (from 369lb ft as standard). That’s for wimps though – naturally you’ll want the most power available, so Level 2 brings a healthy 468bhp and 501lb ft of torque from the 3.0-litre straight-six.

1.jpg38.jpg333.jpg41.jpg22.jpg999.jpg44.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Alpina reveals details of new D3 S saloon and estate

Diesel power returns – this time with mild-hybrid technology – for Alpina's rapid take on the BMW 3 Series

Alpina has revealed the all-new D3 S, bringing diesel power to its range of performance cars based on the G20-generation BMW 3 Series.

Diesel models traditionally sell well for Alpina, being richer in torque and lighter on fuel than their higher-powered petrol siblings, and the fundamental recipe appears unchanged for the German firm's latest model.

At the heart of the car is a modified version of the BMW 'B57' twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre straight six engine, which in the BMW M340d develops 335bhp and 516lb ft.

In the D3 S, it benefits from Alpina’s larger intercoolers, a broader suite of improved cooling systems and revised mapping to make 350bhp and 538lb ft – figures up 5bhp and 22lb ft on the previous D3 – and achieve WLTP combined fuel economy of 37.2mpg.

By comparison, the 462bhp petrol B3 manages 28.8mpg, and therein lies the core appeal of the diesel Alpina 3 Series – not least because, with the B3's total of 516lb ft, the diesel's torque advantage is now fairly slim.

Alpina 1.jpgAlpina 2.jpgAlpina 3.jpgAlpina 4.jpgAlpina 5.jpgAlpina 6.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Alpina D3 S unveiled as (730 N.m) 3 Series-based turbodiesel sedan

The folks over at Alpina have unveiled the D3 S, a subtly tweaked version of the BMW M340d xDrive sedan offered in Europe.

So, what sets the D3 S apart from the diesel-powered 3 Series variant on which it’s based? Well, while the standard model’s 3,0-litre straight-six (complete with 48 V mild-hybrid technology) offers 250 kW and 700 N.m, Alpina’s version makes a slightly healthier 261 kW and 730 N.m.

Despite the (admittedly modest) hikes to peak outputs, the claimed zero to 100 km/h is unchanged at 4,6 seconds. Top speed, though, increases from 250 km/h to 273 km/h.

Alpina says the tuned engine displays an "eager willingness [for a diesel, anyway] to rev up to the red-line", while also benefiting from a "high-performance cooling system".

The xDrive all-wheel-drive system, meanwhile, has gained "specific, situational traction-optimised adjustment of the torque distribution" to be "predominantly rear-wheel biased". The ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic transmission features “revised software” as well as two Alpina-specific modes.

Alpina 1.jpgAlpina 2.jpgAlpina 3.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Disguised 2021 BMW M3 at the Nurburgring

Spy photos of disguised pre-production BMW M3s have been around for a couple of years, but this is the first time that we've been able to see (and hear!) the full M-car version of the G20-generation of the 3 Series driven in anger. We expect the production version to be unveiled before the end of the year.

We are getting tantalisingly close to the full reveal of the G80-generation M3; BMW's M Division boss Markus Flasch has previously said the new G20 3 Series-based M3 would only go into production in late 2020, with cars arriving at dealers in early 2021 (but he did say that before the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, we hasten to add). Our spy photographers have spotted the eagerly anticipated Bavarian sports sedan being testing at the Nurburgring (again) and late last year, the newcomer's rear was revealed by a spy photo that appeared on an enthusiast website.

M3 1.jpgM3 2.jpg

justplain

Expert Member
9% ? haha, though I'm sure most manufacturers will do the same
I was right about a 3'er being a bar in no time.
Absolutely insane

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The BMW M340i Touring is the only car you ever need. REVIEW! - Carwow

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Could BMW Be Working On A M3 Touring?

Rumours have been floating around for a while about BMW possibly doing a G81 M3 Touring but the sources of these have not been clarified.

BMW M CEO Markus Flasch recently took to Instagram for a Q&A session and although nothing was confirmed, he did not exactly deny it either.

Flasch was taking questions and answering them all with either a photo or quick clip of him answering. One such question was about whether or not a BMW M3 Touring is in the works (see screenshot below).

Snip 1.jpgSnip 2.png

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New BMW M3 and M4: ‘Pure’ variants at launch, xDrive versions later

A fresh report claims the new BMW M3 and M4 will launch in “Pure” rear-wheel-drive form, with xDrive variants to follow later.

According to BMWBlog, the G80-generation M3 and the G82-generation M4 – both of which are expected to be officially revealed in September 2020 – will hit the market in rear-driven guise early in 2021.

Echoing comments made by BMW M CEO Markus Flasch in August 2019, the publication claims these Pure-badged variants will use the Munich-based firm’s S58 turbocharged 3,0-litre straight-six offering 353 kW to the rear axle via a six-speed manual gearbox.

The all-wheel-drive Competition derivatives, meanwhile, will join the range only late in 2021, according to BMWBlog. Offering the full-fat 375 kW, these versions of the new M3 and M4 will use an eight-speed automatic transmission powering all four corners.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
REVIEW | A one-night fling with the new BMW M340i xDrive

What's it like to drive?

This new model has more power on paper than its predecessor, and dials in what we've come to expect from the 3 Series: precise steering, a strong engine, and driving dynamics that make you want to find more twisty bits of road.

The optional adaptive dampers offer a comfortable ride despite the M340i riding on 19-inch wheels. And then it's time to dial in Sport mode and enjoy this motor car for its true purpose.

I test drove it on one my favourite roads in Cape Town, and the advantage of power spread to both axles has its advantages.

The manner in which it takes on corners is exciting because you're able to turn in sharply and power out of corners with little fuss. It remains largely neutral and almost urged me to go quicker.

There's a rear-differential that'll aid sideways action, and I managed to get the tail out without the traction control system off. So it's still lively when the steering angle and throttle intensity is aggressive. The computer quickly steps in and corrects everything like a parent wiping a baby's mouth.

In summary

With a starting price of R1 079 300, the flagship 3 Series is expensive. But it's such a rewarding car to drive that for those who buy it will feel it's worth every rand.