2019 Rugby World Cup

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Team to face Japan this Friday. Pretty much the full strength side and probably the team to face the AB's on Sept 21st

Springbok Team

15. Willie le Roux (Wasps, England), 55 caps - 60 points (12 tries)

14. Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse, France), 9 - 15 (3t)

13. Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks), 8 - 5 (1t)

12. Damian de Allende (DHL Stormers), 39 - 20 (4t)

11. Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks), 7 - 25 (5t)

10. Handré Pollard (Vodacom Bulls), 41 - 381 (6t, 63c, 72p, 3d)

9. Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England), 24 - 15 (3t)

8. Duane Vermeulen (Vodacom Bulls), 48 - 15 (3t)

7. Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Stormers), 47 - 20 (4t)

6. Siya Kolisi (captain, DHL Stormers), 42 – 25 (5t)

5. Franco Mostert (Gloucester, England), 31 - 5 (1t)

4. Eben Etzebeth (DHL Stormers), 78 - 15 (3t)

3. Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers), 31 - 0

2. Malcolm Marx (Emirates Lions), 26 - 20 (4t)

1. Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers), 39 - 5 (1t)

Replacements:

16. Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers), 29 - 20 (4t)

17. Tendai Mtawarira (Cell C Sharks), 110 - 10 (2t)

18. Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls), 40 - 5 (1t)

19. RG Snyman (Vodacom Bulls), 15 - 0

20. Francois Louw (Bath, England), 68 - 45 (9t)

21. Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers), 3 - 15 (3t)

22. Frans Steyn (Montpellier, France), 60 - 132 (10t, 5c, 21p, 3d)

23. Jesse Kriel (Vodacom Bulls), 44 - 60 (12t)

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Japan picked a good (it is close to its best selection), but odd, positionally, side.

01. Keita Inagaki
02. Atsushi Sakate
03. Koo Ji-won
04. Luke Thompson
05. Uwe Helu
06. Michael Leitch (c)
07. Lappies Labuschagné
08. Amanaki Mafi
09. Kaito Shigeno
10. Yu Tamura
11. Kenki Fukuoka
12. Ryoto Nakamura
13. Timothy Lafaele
14. Kotaro Matsushima
15. Will Tupou

16. Takuya Kitade
17. Isileli Nakajima
18. Asaeli Ai Valu
19. James Moore
20. Yoshitaka Tokunaga
21. Yutaka Nagare
22. Rikiya Matsuda
23. Ataata Moeakiola

Will Tupou at the back... questionable in my opinion, but Jamie Joseph have been using him in that position. Moeakiola is likely later to substitute Tupou by switching with Matsushima on the wing.

Leitch is captain, he wasn't supposed to be match ready by late September... I guess the opportunity is too big to miss out. Speeders all around. I see Shota Horie is sitting out being replaced with the more stable Top League pair. Japan is also sitting their power props on the bench so will be used when the Springboks are tired due to the humidity.

Leitch and Mafi, and maybe Labuschagne, will be the trouble upfront, with Tokunaga from the bench. The backline wizards are Fukuoka and Matsushima with Moeakiola from the bench. Japan also has a very good centre switch, something we need to keep an eye out for when they switch wings to the inside.

Matsuda is good, but he hasn't shined at test level, yet. Shigeno and Nagare are incredibly quick scrum-halves.

This will be an interesting game in humidity. Again, Japan's weak point is at the lock position.

EDIT: Shota Horie is out due to a neck injury.

Last edited:

netstrider

Yeah, pity about Trevor though.

Hope it is not too serious. Koch is still a good replacement at tighthead but beyond that we're treading into the unknown.

Tank is probably not quite the guy you want playing there in a KO game and Coenie has been woefully out of form.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Looks like the weather is definitely going to have an impact on the game.

That said we were a bit rusty and play on the scrappy side.

theratman

Executive Member
Good performance from the boks. They played better than I expected. I'm happy, but not with the injuries.

netstrider

Just want to add something here.

The Japanese are awesome!

Flyers in the croud with the opposition national anthem written on it. They spent 2 hours prior to kick-off practicing it!
Stadium announcer asks croud to remain silent and be respectful toward kickers. Done!

Try scored by Boks, South African songs played. Fans wearing Bok jerseys, crowd cheering when Pollard converts. I could not believe what I saw!

This will be a landmark world cup that will change the landscape for the future for sure!

Really the only downer from this game was the injuries suffered by both sides and the heat & humidity. Several water breaks, but that’s not their fault.

SAguy

Expert Member
Just want to add something here.

The Japanese are awesome!

Flyers in the croud with the opposition national anthem written on it. They spent 2 hours prior to kick-off practicing it!
Stadium announcer asks croud to remain silent and be respectful toward kickers. Done!

Try scored by Boks, South African songs played. Fans wearing Bok jerseys, crowd cheering when Pollard converts. I could not believe what I saw!

This will be a landmark world cup that will change the landscape for the future for sure!

Really the only downer from this game was the injuries suffered by both sides and the heat & humidity. Several water breaks, but that’s not their fault.
Really hope the culture of respect and sportsmanship becomes infectious after this world cup. I absolutely hate the way opposition kickers are booed, really ugly.

Sl8er

Executive Member
I see the Irish are making a really, unnecessarily, big deal of the school boy doping thing;
Asking Proudfoot what he thinks about it and what's being done.

Proudfoot was like (and I paraphrase, of course), "Uh...I'm the forwards coach for the Springboks, dude. I don't have any information on that kinda' stuff. I can tell you about our forwards and scrums and shlt."

But those Irish reporters just wouldn't let up.

"What about the chilrren?! Come, Forwards coach of the Springboks! What about school boy doping?! Answer US! Answer us on things that have nothing to do with the Rugby World Cup!!
WHAT. ABOUT. THE. CHILRREN?!"

So it seems like they (the Irish) are already working on their QF Exit excuse :ROFL::thumbsup:

They have already lost their QF game.
Their RWC is over before it even began. They may as well go home now.
:D

Last edited:

theratman

Executive Member
Tomorrow I shall be plotting how I will (attempt to) fleece the bookies this RWC