2019 Rugby World Cup

Cray

Honorary Master
It is not my place to name people that I know who may or may not be doping. To deny the doping issue in SA is the as same denying Neil Francis his opinion.

All Springboks who participated in the Rugby World Cup were tested.
As much as I agree that Neil Francis is a s**t stirrer of note with his Asterisk comment I think he raises valid concerns. People should read Tyler Hamilton's book, "The Secret Race" to see how PED users can use routinely use and still get tested without setting off alarm bells. Lance Armstrong was right when he said he was the most tested athlete in history, he used drugs for years and never once tested positive.

I know the science of testing has come a long with since then but with the stakes for professional rugby players to get bigger and better it seems naive to think that people on the fringes, those who don't get tested regularly, would all be clean. Am sure the testing in and around the Boks is solid, it's at schoolboy and club level where i think we might has issues.

yebocan

Honorary Master

yy.jpg

Toxxyc

Expert Member
"Oh the Boks won, let's see how we can reduce their chance to win in the future because this is BS!"

EDIT: If that law was in the RWC final, England would have been screwed ROYALLY with the Sinckler replacement in the 3rd minute.

Last edited:

Stephen

Expert Member
"Oh the Boks won, let's see how we can reduce their chance to win in the future because this is BS!"

EDIT: If that law was in the RWC final, England would have been screwed ROYALLY with the Sinckler replacement in the 3rd minute.
Yeah there was this other article suggesting that Eddie Jones missed a trick by faking an injury to the replacement prop so there would have to be uncontested scrums

rietrot

Honorary Master
School kids werent playing the World Cup.
Saying the result must be questioned is accusing people of some serious stuff. So allowing some guy to make serious accusations is deeply problematic
Those making accusations should prove it. Until then it's just some bad loser. People can say what they want. By getting all up in arms you are actually spreading his claims and making it worse.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yeah there was this other article suggesting that Eddie Jones missed a trick by faking an injury to the replacement prop so there would have to be uncontested scrums
Ah, yes. And the moonlanding is false, and the CIA is in our mieliepap.

Cray

Honorary Master
Ronan O' Gara suggested that, about par for the course from him.... I must admit, when they lost Sinckler I cast a few thoughts back to that Italy game... I didn't think England would do anything intentionally but the possibility was there..

cenredash

Expert Member
Ho hum

This is not a new idea, its been around since at least 2016 and I saw reports even before the world cup and during the world cup, but before the final about limiting the number of substitutions. There are good arguments in favour of both sides, but as the law stands there is nothing wrong.

Btw, Guscott picked South Africa to win before the World Cup, so he's not being salty, necessarily.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This is not a new idea, its been around since at least 2016 and I saw reports even before the world cup and during the world cup, but before the final about limiting the number of substitutions. There are good arguments in favour of both sides, but as the law stands there is nothing wrong.

Btw, Guscott picked South Africa to win before the World Cup, so he's not being salty, necessarily.
The problem with the idea to reduce the substitutions are that all other teams must abide by that rule and that the current rule which has been around since whenever may be leveraged by every and any participating rugby union team.

When Guscott stated,

"We have got to make sure that rugby union remains a game in which skill and fitness are paramount - even though the fitness element has been eroded,"
Guscott wrote.
he should rather have questioned why the other teams lacked continuity and depth. Just shows how good Erasmus is at his game, maximising every tool at his disposal to win the Rugby World Cup.

Guscott, where is the Red Roses bomb squad?

He basically bitched about the Springboks physicality without mentioning it. Jammer om van sy kak te hoor.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I find it a conspiracy theory type claim to make.
Gatland alluded to England peaking too early,

“They (South Africa) have the physicality to match England,” Gatland said.

“I thought England were outstanding last night. They have a very good chance. They might need to be a bit more expansive.

“For them, it was about making the final. Sometimes teams play in semi-finals and don’t always turn up for a final so it will be interesting to see England next week.”
which may suggest that the Springboks mindset was spot on in winning the Rugby World Cup. Erasmus went out to win game by game in order to win the Rugby World Cup, and admittedly stated that the All Blacks was the better team on the day when we opened against them in the pool phases.

The Springboks was simply more united than their competition.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
The problem with the idea to reduce the substitutions are that all other teams must abide by that rule and that the current rule which has been around since whenever may be leveraged by every and any participating rugby union team.

When Guscott stated,

he should rather have questioned why the other teams lacked continuity and depth. Just shows how good Erasmus is at his game, maximising every tool at his disposal to win the Rugby World Cup.

He basically bitched about the Springboks physicality without mentioning it. Jammer om van sy kak te hoor.
Exactly. No one is stopping any of the other teams from doing the exact same thing. Guscott can GTFO.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Interesting things happening in World Rugby at the moment.

Russia is expanding its rugby. They are starting a similar program as USA which have been implemented last year. Like the USA, Russia will grow its domestic game with a pro-competition. They liked this Rugby World Cup. It will be interesting to see where these two countries will be at in 2030-somewhere as they both have big populations to churn out rugby players. Likewise, with Japan who is starting a new pro-competition in 2021 above their industrial league.

Malaysia is pumping money into their rugby and they also want to be competitive in 2030-somewhere.

Then there is another South American team which is climbing the ladder. Brazil has rapidly climbed to 25th position, and though they still have a long way to go, rugby in South America is improving.

The world is warming up to the game. I mean India pulled Naas in to up their game. People seem to like the idea behind Union.

cenredash

Expert Member

When Guscott stated,

I completely agree with you. Rassie used all the rules applicable, in the smartest way possible. Not only that, he planned for the use of the rule. We had and developed the depth to accommodate 6 forwards on our bench. Like you said, its been around since whenever, and it is eminently sensible that the guys doing the most physical labour should have their workload managed best. Its good for the game and its good for the players.