2019 Rugby World Cup

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
It is not my place to name people that I know who may or may not be doping. To deny the doping issue in SA is the as same denying Neil Francis his opinion.

All Springboks who participated in the Rugby World Cup were tested.
As much as I want to say 100% that no player in the SA took steroids I just don't think anyone can be sure.

I spend a bit of time on the letsrun forum and often you learn how these guys are cheating the system by micro dosing you take a dose that will give you all the benefits of steroids but is out of your system in 4-8 hours. One guy who got caught eventually said he got drug tested once a day for 3 days and he actively took steroids every day without being busted.

About 80% of people on those forums believe anyone getting WR times are doping and they say Kipchoge/Bolt/Flojo etc etc are all dopers but because they are money to IAAF people turn a blind eye. Not sure how true it is though.

I will say this if our guys are doping then every proper team in Rugby is also doping to compete.

I am also pretty sure piere spies was doping when he "got injured", came back half the size a few months later in 2006/7 and because he was so good someone sa rugby or the bulls covered it up. This is just my opinion I have no proof to back it up.

Cray

Honorary Master
As much as I want to say 100% that no player in the SA took steroids I just don't think anyone can be sure.

I spend a bit of time on the letsrun forum and often you learn how these guys are cheating the system by micro dosing you take a dose that will give you all the benefits of steroids but is out of your system in 4-8 hours. One guy who got caught eventually said he got drug tested once a day for 3 days and he actively took steroids every day without being busted.

About 80% of people on those forums believe anyone getting WR times are doping and they say Kipchoge/Bolt/Flojo etc etc are all dopers but because they are money to IAAF people turn a blind eye. Not sure how true it is though.

I will say this if our guys are doping then every proper team in Rugby is also doping to compete.

I am also pretty sure piere spies was doping when he "got injured", came back half the size a few months later in 2006/7 and because he was so good someone sa rugby or the bulls covered it up. This is just my opinion I have no proof to back it up.
Yeah that Pierre Spies thing was so sudden, it always struck me as very fishy...

Cray

Honorary Master

Splinter

Honorary Master
He isn't wrong though. As much as i support my country, and always will, it's the right of other to not do so if they don't want to. Wonderful thing about a free country. And yes, I also sometimes give the All Flats supporters flack, but it's all good natured fun, nothing malicious.
Yep. And our right to give such grief.

But I do wonder if it's not the nauseating success of the All Blacks that keeps such still punting for the New Zealanders. For example, I wonder if they would still be so anti the Bokke if they originally supported Fiji.

Last edited:

Craig

Honorary Master
Yep. And our right to give such grief.

But I do wonder if it's not the nauseating success of the All Blacks that keeps such still punting for the New Zealanders. For example, I wonder if they would still not be so anti the Bokke if they originally supported Fiji.
I think it's this. Let them start losing for a few years in a row, especially to us, and you'll quickly see how their allegiance will change.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think it's this. Let them start losing for a few years in a row, especially to us, and you'll quickly see how their allegiance will change.
My thoughts indeed.

It's easy to be smug about supporting a team that simply wallows in rugby victories; but should the wheel turn...

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Someone online said that Guscott has been saying this for a year or two but I can't find any proof of that online..
I am not bothered to check or try validate tbh.
The England team arguably have the most resources available to them in the forms of capital, facilities, player pool even.
If the 6/2 split is such a dominance why have they or other 1st tier nations not capitalized on it?

Krige also makes a very valid point about the amount of rugby these players are playing now which makes sense to have the ability to use a bigger bench, just to keep the players fit and healthy. Maybe in his day less subs were relevant but now?

I disagree with Krige that it is not sour grapes.

Here they are right here, and nothing stopped England or any other team from using the same tactic.
"It would be an even better sport if the bench was reduced in number. Half a team coming on with fresh legs and sharp minds against guys, who have been taken to the point of exhaustion, is pushing the game out of the realms of normality.
Wheres your other half a team?

Shampies

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Rassie and his coaching team were playing 4D chess.

[Wayne] Smith also believes South Africa used the warm-up period before the final to fool England by having their halfbacks Faf du Klerk and Herschel Jantjies put up a stream of high kicks.

“(South Africa) showed in the final they were the best team in the tournament because they were able to adapt,” he said.

“They changed from kicking every second ball to actually playing some footy and using the skills they’ve got.

“It was a clever plan – I watched de Klerk and Jantjies warm-up and they did half an hour of box kicking with the English coaches watching them. They didn’t practice a pass, yet seldom boxed kicked (in the game). They sucked a few people in before the final.”

Guscott: World Rugby needs to think about banning teams from using deceiving tactics during the warm-up. Its not fair that you watch them for 30-minutes and then they do something completely different in the game.

cenredash

Expert Member
Guscott: World Rugby needs to think about banning teams from using deceiving tactics during the warm-up. Its not fair that you watch them for 30-minutes and then they do something completely different in the game.
Guscott: World Rugby needs to think about banning teams from using Duane Vermeulen and Peter Steph Du Toit. Its not fair that South Africa is able to use Vermeulen and Du Toit in test matches when other teams don't have access to use these players. Either one of these players provides a team with an unfair advantage and for South Africa to use both of them without even the decency to substitute them at half-time is against the spirit of the game. If South Africa wants to substitute 6 forwards in a match they should then also be forced to take off Duane Vermeulen and Peter Steph Du Toit.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Rassie and his coaching team were playing 4D chess.

That's why we won. Faf got all his kicking done before the game. When it was time to play his leg was already tiered.