2019 Rugby World Cup

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't understand this ineligible players things...

We have South African's who played for France and England at World cups before. How does one become an ineligible player?
World Rugby residency rules.

EDIT:

From 2020 the level rises from 36 to 60 months, obviously, you also need to be a citizen of the specific country. I know many players with citizenship in Japan is ineligible due to being behind on taxes...

Last edited:

Pitbull

Verboten
World Rugby residency rules.

EDIT:

From 2020 the level rises from 36 to 60 months, obviously, you also need to be a citizen of the specific country. I know many players with citizenship in Japan is ineligible due to being behind on taxes...
This can't be true :confused:

I know of loads of players who played for other countries but are South African citizens. I think France made it an internal rule now that only French passport holders will be selected for the national side. But it's not a requirement by the IRB.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This can't be true :confused:

I know of loads of players who played for other countries but are South African citizens. I think France made it an internal rule now that only French passport holders will be selected for the national side. But it's not a requirement by the IRB.
This is the law, in detail -> http://www.worldrugby.org/wr-resour.../English/pubData/source/files/Regulation8.pdf (PDF)

or as per the guideline:

https://www.worldrugby.org/handbook/regulations/reg-8/explanatory-guidelines

2. Who establishes the eligibility criteria in Rugby Union?

World Rugby will continue to establish the criteria by reference to which a Player’s eligibility to play for the senior or next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team of a Union or a Union’s senior National Representative Sevens Team will be determined. Citizenship of a country and/or whether a Player holds a passport of a particular country are not, of themselves, determinative in identifying which Union a Player is eligible to represent. This will be determined solely in accordance with World Rugby’s eligibility criteria. In relation to Olympic eligibility criteria see the Explanatory Guidelines on the Implementation of Regulation 8 – Olympic Eligibility.

3. What is the eligibility criteria in Rugby Union?

The existing World Rugby eligibility criteria set out in Regulation 8.1 will be maintained. This is based on the Player having a genuine, close, credible and established national link with:

(a) the country in which the Player was born; or

(b) the country in which one parent or grandparent of the Player was born; or

(c) the country in which the Player has completed sixty consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing³;

or

(d) the country in which the Player has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing; and

(e) for Olympic Event participation, the nationality of the Union or country the Player wishes to represent is also required.
Residency supported by,

14. How is the Residence criteria satisfied?

Regulation 8.1(c) requires a Player to complete 60 consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing. Regulation 8(d) requires a Player to complete 10 years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing⁴. Residence is defined as “the place or location in which the Player has his primary and permanent home” and Resident shall be construed accordingly. In essence, Regulation 8.1(c) and Regulation 8.1(d) constitute a sporting naturalization procedure, based on a geographical/presence test. As in any naturalisation process, a number of factors will influence the determination of what constitutes a Player’s permanent and primary home. Such factors include, but are not limited to, the actual time spent in a country and the purpose of any absences during the qualification period. By being Resident in a country for a period of 60 consecutive months⁵ immediately preceding the time of playing for a Union, or 10 cumulative years over the course of the Player’s lifetime, a Player is deemed to acquire a credible, close and established national link with a country or Union that entitles him to participate in sporting competitions for that Union. Based on the overriding rationale of the eligibility Regulations, in cases where a Player’s eligibility is uncertain the Regulations Committee will consider that Player’s eligibility by reference to the particular facts and circumstances of his case to establish if the Residency test, in the context of the overall rationale of the eligibility Regulations, has been satisfied. The principles set out in responses to the questions below will act as guidelines to the Regulations Committee when it is asked to consider any cases pursuant to this criterion.

15. Whose burden of proof?

In all cases where a Player is seeking to establish eligibility by reference to the Residency criteria in Regulation 8.1(c) or Regulation 8.1(d) (and, indeed, in relation to Regulation 8.1(a) and Regulation 8.1(b)), the burden of proof is on the Player and the Union that he wishes to represent to prove that Player’s eligibility. Under Regulation 8.1(c) and Regulation 8.1(d), the Player and his Union must be able to demonstrate that, during the relevant period, the country in which he claims he has been Resident was, genuinely, the country that the Player treated as his home and is clearly the country in which the Player has his primary and permanent home. If a Player has moved from one country to another, and is seeking to establish Residence in that new country, then he must also be able to demonstrate that he is clearly no longer Resident in the country in which he lived previously and that he no longer treats that country as his home. For the avoidance of any doubt, a Player cannot nominate a country as his home without demonstrating that he has satisfied the geographical commitment/presence test enshrined in Regulation 8.1(c) and Regulation 8.1(d). The geographical commitment/presence test will be vigorously upheld and applied to avoid abuse of the Residency criteria. For example, a Player that acquired/leased property in a country and who nominated that property as his permanent and primary home (even though he may only be present at that property and in that Union on a short term/temporary basis) would not satisfy the Residency test.
It is not a citizenship rule per se, but the residency requirement is that where you play your rugby is the country you reside in. Some countries do require citizenship by own policy. e.g. in Japan you are required to be a citizen and your taxes needs to be paid up to date.

These rules apply to,

What is the Rationale/Philosophy of Regulation 8?

The rationale/philosophy of Regulation 8 is to ensure that Players selected to represent either the senior and next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Teams of a Union or a Union’s senior National Representative Sevens Team have a genuine, close, credible and established national link with the country of the Union for which they have been selected. Such a national link is essential to maintain the unique characteristics and culture of elite international sporting competition between Unions. The integrity of International Matches between Unions depends upon strict adherence to the eligibility criteria set out in the Regulations.
to a national A (seniors) side as well, Unions use the 'national development' term to cloak the senior eligibility. Juniors may explore senior options elsewhere. Since January 2000, when you represented a national senior team, by country, you will be unable to represent another national senior team, by country.

Olympic rules dictate otherwise, but it are all in the links above, where 1st and 2nd union laws apply.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The Asia pool has made progress, Hong Kong has beaten Malaysia 67-8 and South Korea has beaten Malaysia 35-10, the winner between Hong Kong and South Korea will play the Cook Islands where the winner will proceed to the World Repechage in France.

I guess Hong Kong will advance through to the World Repechage, I don't see South Korea or the Cook Islands beating Hong Kong. Canada is still in my opinion the likely candidate to win the World Repechage.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...fu-names-40-man-world-cup-training-squad.html

Rugby: JRFU names 40-man World Cup training squad

The Japan Rugby Football Union named a 40-man Rugby World Cup training squad Wednesday, the day after the nation marked 500 days to go until the tournament kicks off in Tokyo.

Masahiro Kunda, director of the Japan national team, said in a press release the squad would likely change over time depending on the form of players. Special attention is being paid to fitness to account for the strain of players competing in both Super Rugby and the Japan Top League.

"Originally, we planned to announce this first training squad at the conclusion of last year's November tests in France. But in consultation with head coach Jamie Joseph, we thought it was best to consider the physical condition of Super Rugby players and wait for the results from various measures. For that reason, we believe this is the best time to make the announcement," the former Japan hooker said.

The squad contains nine players who played in Japan's historic win over South Africa at Rugby World Cup 2015: Keita Inagaki, Masataka Mikami, Shota Horie, Shinya Makabe, Amanaki Lelei Mafi, Michael Leitch, Fumiaki Tanaka, Yu Tamura, Harumichi Tatekawa and Akihito Yamada.

There are five uncapped players in the squad, all forwards, in Grant Hattingh, James Moore, Ben Gunter, Masakatsu Nishikawa and Pieter "Lappies" Labuschagne, with Kunda verifying that "players who are not yet eligible to play for Japan but might be able to achieve eligibility in time to play for the national team at the World Cup have been included."

Youth is recognized in the form of Koo Ji Won, Kazuki Himeno, Ryuji Noguchi and Rikiya Matsuda, while three Rio Olympians are included in Yo****aka Tokunaga, Kenki Fukuoka and Lomano Lava Lemeki.

One notable omission is flyhalf Takuya Yamasawa, who underwent shoulder surgery earlier this year after spending some time in New Zealand with the Crusaders development squad.

"It is expected that the players in the training squad will change, and we expect to announce the second training squad at the conclusion of the (current) Super Rugby season," Kunda said.

Willie Britz is currently training with the Japan national development squad and Wimpie van der Walt is already capped.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
This is good news indeed! It's not to say that he'll suddenly exclude locally based players, but at least if he has to cast his net overseas, he won't be blocked doing so. That being said, I would still the majority of our squad would be local with a few notable foreign based inclusions.

Rule on overseas Boks scrapped

Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus can select whoever he wants after SA Rugby on Thursday scrapped their overseas-based player policy.

Under previous coach Allister Coetzee, only those overseas-based players who had 30 or more test caps were available for Springbok selection.

That rule was set to be lifted in 2019 - a World Cup year - but SA Rugby president Mark Alexander confirmed on Thursday that it had been ditched already.

"Rassie is in his last year of preparation before the World Cup, so he can select any overseas-based player," said Alexander.

"He has just 18 tests in which to prepare for the World Cup, so we gave him grace.

"Rassie has already spoken to a few players who are playing overseas. From now until the World Cup, he wants to give as many players as possible the chance to show what they can do for the Boks."

The lifting of the rule is likely to make life easier for the Boks at scrumhalf, where Erasmus is expected to pick 11-test Springbok Faf de Klerk, currently based at the Sale Sharks.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This is good news indeed! It's not to say that he'll suddenly exclude locally based players, but at least if he has to cast his net overseas, he won't be blocked doing so. That being said, I would still the majority of our squad would be local with a few notable foreign based inclusions.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see more or less 2015’s World Cup squad. Du Plessis brothers, Frans Steyn… even Morné Steyn, obviously many players which started this and last year overseas. Then players like Adriaan Strauss, etc.

I doubt that we will see Habana, Vic and de Villiers :whistling:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I wouldn’t be surprised to see more or less 2015’s World Cup squad. Du Plessis brothers, Frans Steyn… even Morné Steyn, obviously many players which started this and last year overseas. Then players like Adriaan Strauss, etc.

I doubt that we will see Habana, Vic and de Villiers :whistling:
I don't think we'll see MS again. We finally have some wonderful depth at flyhalf with Jantjies, Pollard, du Preez and Willemse. With the right coaching and game plan, any one of these four could grab a match by the scruff of its neck and control it. I haven't been following Bismarck overseas so I don't know if he's playing well or not but if he is, it would be lunacy to leave him out. Imagine Marx being replaced with BdP or vice versa shudder. Ditto for Willie le Roux. I believe he has been playing some great rugby overseas. Could be a possible option at 15 too.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So it happened, Romania has been ousted by World Rugby. Russia took their place in Pool A and will open the Rugby World Cup against Japan. This will be Russia's 2nd Rugby World Cup.

Spain and Belgium also ousted leaving the Germans as previously predicted to advance in Europe 2. Strange how this played out...

Germany will now have to play Portugal and the winner between the two will go up against Samoa. The loser between Samoa and Germany/Portugal will advance through to the World Repechage and the winner between the two will take their place in Pool A.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't think we'll see MS again. We finally have some wonderful depth at flyhalf with Jantjies, Pollard, du Preez and Willemse. With the right coaching and game plan, any one of these four could grab a match by the scruff of its neck and control it. I haven't been following Bismarck overseas so I don't know if he's playing well or not but if he is, it would be lunacy to leave him out. Imagine Marx being replaced with BdP or vice versa shudder. Ditto for Willie le Roux. I believe he has been playing some great rugby overseas. Could be a possible option at 15 too.
[video=youtube_share;ZU6zwTV_j_g]https://youtu.be/ZU6zwTV_j_g[/video]

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Spain and Romania are out, their appeals was dismissed and I doubt that they will take World Rugby to court as they have stated. So, Russia is in the World Cup and Germany proceeds through to play against Portugal.

Hong Kong has also beaten South Korea and will proceed through to play against the Cook Islands.

Solitude

Expert Member
Spain and Romania are out, their appeals was dismissed and I doubt that they will take World Rugby to court as they have stated. So, Russia is in the World Cup and Germany proceeds through to play against Portugal.

Hong Kong has also beaten South Korea and will proceed through to play against the Cook Islands.
It's a big mess really. Will be interesting to see if it'll go to the courts.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It's a big mess really. Will be interesting to see if it'll go to the courts.
It will be a big mess, because then World Rugby will also need to recall Tahiti. However, Spain, Romania, Belgium, Tahiti, etc. have themselves to blame. Rules are rules and it is a standard. I don't see why special exceptions may apply, Romania and Spain has a eligible player base, tomorrow we see tier 1 countries 'breaking' the law.

Not only do these countries break the law, but they pump the lower tiered countries dry. The new 5-year residency rule was instituted to protect these player bases, though we still abide to the 3-year residency law.

Then there is Romania which runs the lower tiered Europe Rugby leagues like organised crime, but they don't have to answer to World Rugby and the 'six' nations are a class above to care.

Yes, it is a big mess, but not due to 2 (and more) countries breaking the law, but due to poor oversight by World Rugby over the lower tiered nations.

Russia will be happy, as they themselves were previously in this position and this time around they made sure their house is in order.

After watching England struggling on Saturday, it brought back some memories. Didn't they have an atrocious season in 2002 and then won the RWC the next year?

Edit: nvm, I was thinking of 2006. my mistake :eek:

Last edited: