2019 Toyota RAV4 (5th Generation)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Toyota RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid: UK details confirmed

New version of fifth-generation SUV will go on sale with 302bhp and a 38-mile-plus electric-only range

Toyota has released new details of its new RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid, which will arrive in the UK with a 302bhp powertrain capable of more than 38 miles of electric-only running.

The fifth-generation SUV was launched in 2018, but it was initially offered in the UK with just one powertrain option: a 2.5-litre petrol-electric hybrid producing 215bhp in front-wheel-drive form and 219bhp in four-wheel-drive models. Toyota says the new machine is the most powerful RAV4 – and the quickest alternatively fuelled Toyota – ever.

The new plug-in variant features four-wheel drive as standard and uses the same 173bhp 2.5-litre petrol engine as the regular hybrid. That engine is mated to a larger underfloor battery and more powerful electric motor – although Toyota has yet to specify details of these. The new battery is a high-capacity lithium ion unit, with the powertrain featuring a boost converter on the hybrid’s power control unit.

Jchan11hk

Motorised boot is slow to open and close.
At night you can't see the switches and buttons for the windows and mirrors. The driving lights are really good.
Side mirrors don't automatically close and open.
Plenty boot space. That's awesome.

I drove the car for about 1000km while my folks were away. It's a big car, bulky and "fat". Takes some getting used. The parking sensors and the cameras help allot. Found that useful. I enjoyed the radar cruise control. I found the fuel consumption wasn't great when using the cruise control. I did a better job without it. Managed to get the fuel consumption down to 6.7 L/100km on a trip to pta.

I found the instrument cluster to be unfriendly. In a sense that I couldn't have all the information on one screen. I had to change screens for the fuel consumption, km left in the tank etc. The auto windscreen wipers were either too sensitive or very lazy. I ended up just manually operating them.

The FOB to lock and unlock the car is confusing. Still didn't quite figure it out. I couldn't open the boot with the remote unless I had unlocked the car doors first.

Regarding the CVT. I can only compare it to my current sx4 2.0L. Sooo much better. Doing 120kph the revs were sitting just under 2000rpm. Nice and quiet. I did find from time to time that the CVT would get confused when I wanted to accelerate slightly. It would go really high in the revs then come back down again.

I am following some Facebook groups regarding the car based all over the world. They have had similar issues. Apparently they have gone for a software upgrade. Not too sure if that solves it.

There is no android auto and apple car play. Again overseas it is a free upgrade. I am not sure about here. Haven't found out.

I towed my box trailer with the vehicle. The car handled it fine. My father has the same model as yours.

Would I get one? Yes I would. I would like to test drive the 2.5L with the 8 speed box and see if that is maybe better. To answer your question. Yes my dad is happy.
I have read it somewhere they said the new centre screen is actually a bit obtrusive for the driver's view. Is it too large from your experience?

Georgios

I have read it somewhere they said the new centre screen is actually a bit obtrusive for the driver's view. Is it too large from your experience?
It wasn't obtrusive for myself when driving. I found it not helpful at times and would rather have it off or not display anything. It does sit out of the dash and straight up. So I could see it being obtrusive in that way. It is bulky.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Toyota RAV4 uses updated VSC to pass “Moose Test”

Last October, Swedish publication Teknikens Värld put the new Toyota RAV4 to the “Moose Test” which it ended up failing. The model that was put to the test was the all-wheel drive hybrid variant which isn’t offered in SA.

Toyota took this test seriously and has updated the RAV4’s vehicle stability system (VSC) in order to help it pass this rigorous test. The system now applies more braking force to keep the vehicle in check.

The RAV4 successfully passed the test at 72 km/h and showed similar characteristics at 70 km/h. A big difference was noticed at 65 km/h compared to the previous test. The testers noted that at 70 km/h the RAV4's suspension compresses on the outer side, resulting in a noticeable degree of body lean. But while this technically constitutes compromised handling, it doesn't stop the RAV4 from passing the test.

RAV4.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Toyota SA rolls out RAV4 updates (and pricing is unchanged!)

Toyota South Africa Motors has announced a handful of updates for its RAV4 range, with pricing left unchanged.

The Japanese firm’s local arm says the “functionality upgrades” have been implemented in response to “customer feedback and ever-evolving market requirements”.

All five variants in the RAV4 range gain upgraded infotainment systems, which now include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality. It’s worth noting, though, the multimedia update will come in the form of a “running change” for the mid-spec GX-R model as well as the range-topping 2,5 VX AT AWD derivative (whereas it's available immediately on the others).

Pricing:

Toyota RAV4 2,0 GX: R445 600
Toyota RAV4 2,0 GX CVT: R457 500
Toyota RAV4 2,0 GX-R CVT AWD: R541 800
Toyota RAV4 2,0 VX CVT: R541 600
Toyota RAV4 2,5 VX AT AWD: R618 400

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Toyota’s most powerful (225 kW!) RAV4 not in SA’s ‘immediate future’…

Toyota South Africa Motors says the new RAV4 plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) that has just gone on sale in Japan is not in “our immediate future”.

The RAV4 PHV, which is also offered in North America as the RAV4 Prime, employs the Japanese firm’s latest hybrid system, comprising a 2,5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine, an electric motor on each axle and a lithium-ion battery.

Toyota’s local arm told CARmag.co.za “plug-in models are not in our immediate future locally due to current infrastructure requirements but will remain an option for future introduction as part of Toyota's alternative fuel strategy”.

71567313_4.jpg71567313_3.jpg71567313_2.jpg71567313_1.jpg

evecosystem

This could be a winner in South Africa as South Africa loves RAV4. Pity that South Africa is only considered last.

evecosystem

They want it to have that sporty/performance feel. It could be a good sell point for EV because some people assume that EV cars are slow by nature.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Suzuki Across revealed as Toyota RAV4-based SUV

First model from partnership between Japanese firms will be all-wheel-drive plug-in hybrid SUV

Suzuki has revealed the new Across as a hybridised family SUV based on the Toyota RAV4, following a recent agreement between the two manufacturers to collaborate on selected models.

It’s the first car to emerge from the strategic alliance and gives an indication of how the two firms will seek to differentiate their own versions of shared models. The Across bears a strong resemblance to the RAV4 but is set apart by an all-new front end that features Suzuki’s large trademark grille.

The differences between the two cars’ cabins are more subtle, with the Across having a largely identical-looking interior save for a new steering wheel. The RAV4’s 9.0in touchscreen display features as standard and offers smartphone mirroring functionality.

The SUV’s electrified powertrain is carried over wholesale from the new RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid and comprises a 173bhp 2.5-litre petrol four-cylinder mated to a pair of electric motors - one with 180bhp on the front axle and another with 54bhp at the rear - for a top speed of 112mph.

Suzi 1.JPGSuzi 2.JPGSuzi 3.JPGSuzi 4.JPGSuzi 5.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Suzuki reveals new Across SUV with Toyota Rav4 genes

Just like Ford and Volkswagen are teaming up for certain future products such as bakkies and vans, Toyota and Suzuki have been flirting with their own joint ventures, although it’s worth noting that the former has a 4.9 percent stake in its Japanese counterpart’s business.

Nonetheless, the Toyzuki collaboration (or is it Suzota?) has already resulted in a badge-engineered Suzuki Baleno in India, which is called the Toyota Glanza, and a Suzuki-based compact SUV is also on the cards.

But Toyota will also be supplying some cars to Suzuki, and the first of these to see light of day is the new Suzuki Across, which is a mildly facelifted and rebadged Toyota Rav4.

The cabin is also very much a badge-engineered affair, with Toyota’s 22.8cm touchscreen display dominating the central section of the dashboard.

At this stage it appears that the Suzuki Across is destined for Europe only, but we will provide an update if we find out that it’s also destined for South Africa.