2019 Toyota RAV4 (5th Generation)

Jchan11hk

Impressive:

Toyota’s RAV4, meanwhile, rocketed seven places up the table to grab third place, just ahead of the Toyota Fortuner in fourth (itself climbing two places).

South Africa’s 10 best-selling passenger cars of April 2019:

1. Volkswagen Polo Vivo – 2 350
2. Volkswagen Polo – 1 165
3. Toyota RAV4 – 839
4. Toyota Fortuner – 816
5. Ford EcoSport – 742
6. Toyota Etios – 719
7. Hyundai Grand i10 – 718
8. Renault Kwid – 472
9. Datsun Go – 453
10. Renault Clio – 452

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/industry-news/sas-10-best-selling-passenger-cars-of-april-2019/
I can feel the love of Toyota in SA, totally unreal.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Toyota RAV4 handed bolder styling and extra kit

Remember the “Street Monster” package Toyota’s TRD division unveiled for the new RAV4 in April this year? Well, the folks over at Japanese firm Kuhl Racing have now lifted the wraps off their special body kit for the SUV.

The exterior modifications are led by a revised front apron, replete with larger air intakes and a front spoiler. Other added exterior equipment include what the tuner calls “sill swords”, which are fitted to the side skirts, and, at the rear, an enhanced diffuser housing four of the tuner’s “blue-fired” tailpipes. A sports exhaust system has also been added.

Built on Toyota’s New Global Architecture Platform (TNGA), the fifth-generation RAV4’s suspension has now been lowered by the tuner, riding on in-house-developed Verz alloys finished in a black hue.

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/new-models/new-toyota-rav4-handed-bolder-styling-and-extra-kit/

87898843_2.jpg87898843_1.jpg

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Meh, I want an updated Rav4 in the same size category as the original Rav4... not this new overly large bloated size....

thechamp

Honorary Master
Meh, I want an updated Rav4 in the same size category as the original Rav4... not this new overly large bloated size....
It is not that big, still very tiny compared to a Fortuner, I think maybe looks are deceiving you.

Zyk1

Expert Member
Yep.
I read somewhere that Toyota used some clever design engineering to make it look bigger than the previous model but in actual fact it is the same size....

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It is not that big, still very tiny compared to a Fortuner, I think maybe looks are deceiving you.
Its nearly half a meter longer than the original one.... looks defintely aren't deceiving me.

It has consistently grown, generation after generation. Now it is not what I would call a compact SUV anymore.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Toyota RAV4 2.0 AWD GX-R (2019) Review

Fast Facts:

Price: R508 100
Engine: 2.0-litre i4 naturally-aspirated petrol
Gearbox: CVT
Fuel economy: 6.7 L/100 km (claimed)
Power/Torque: 127 kW/203 Nm

Pricing and warranty

The Toyota RAV4 range kicks off with the 2.0 GX derivative, the price of which begins at R416 400. This version is the 2.0 AWD GX-R, which retails for R508 100, while the top-of-the-range 2.5 AWD VX comes in at R577 900. A 3-year/100 000 km warranty and a 6-year/90 000 km service plan are standard across the range.

Verdict

When we first shared images and info about the new Toyota RAV4, not all of our users were convinced by the newcomer's outlandish (by RAV4 standards) looks. Comments such as "it looks like a Jeep" were bandied about and while social media commentary is to be taken with a hefty pinch of salt, the underlying sentiment was valid. Most South African consumers are conservative by default: vehicles that are extreme, too "out of the comfort zone" and quirky are at risk of selling poorly.

However, our fears of the RAV4 not carrying on where its previous generation left off were totally unfounded as customers looked beyond the product at face value and explored its other talents. The result? As many as 839 units of the RAV4 were sold in April 2019, which is 23 more than the entrenched-in-SA Fortuner could muster. It's not surprising: the look-at-me styling grew on us during the RAV4's tenure and we found its build quality, practicality and refinement deeply impressive.

Should you buy one? The lack of a torquey turbodiesel option or another form of forced induction dents the aspirations of those who wish to tow and if you do need to tow trailers regularly, then we suggest you fork out a bit more for a diesel-powered entry-level 2.4 GD-6 Fortuner, which is similarly priced. No need to tow (and not all people do)? Good, because then you'll be satisfied with the levels of comfort, space and refinement in the new RAV4. Granted, the engine is not the most enthusiastic – you'll encounter some mildly unpleasant noise when the GX-R ascends a steep hill while fully loaded.

If you have a relaxed driving style, however, you'll be hard-pressed to find a gentler cruising experience in the family car segment. The new RAV4 is one of those vehicles in which you can effortlessly cover hundreds of kilometres and emerge from the cabin feeling reasonably fresh. There aren't many drawbacks to the package, but we would have liked more connectivity options. Overseas models come with fancy JBL sound systems, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto compatibility and Amazon Alexa, but perhaps the inclusion of such a high-end setup would have driven up the range's asking prices too far.

All in all, the new RAV4 feels thoroughly fresh and represents a big leap forward for Toyota's popular family car offering. With rugged styling, a well-thought-out cabin and ample space, it's virtually guaranteed to remain a popular choice.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/toyota-rav4-20-awd-gx-r-2019-review/46608/

RAV4 1.JPGRAV4 2.JPGRAV4 3.JPGRAV4 4.JPGRAV4 5.JPGRAV4 6.JPGRAV4 7.JPGRAV4 8.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Blank buttons galore!

No doubt all the safety tech offered overseas.

RAV4.JPG