2020 BMW 1-Series (FWD - 3rd Generation)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW M135i xDrive (2020) Review

Fast Facts

Price: R711 452 (R886 350 as tested)
Engine: 2.0-litre turbopetrol 4-cylinder
Power/Torque: 225 kW/450 Nm
Transmission: 8-speed automatic
Fuel consumption: 7.5 L/100 km (claimed)
Load capacity: 380 litres

Price and sales support

The BMW 135i xDrive price starts at R711 452 (March 2020) and comes with a 2-year/unlimited km warranty and a 5-year/100 000 km maintenance plan.

Verdict

Rear-wheel-drive dynamics and a straight-6 motor used to be the unique selling points of BMW’s top-of-the-range 1 Series hatchback. By producing a fundamentally more practical 1 Series on an existing FWD platform, BMW has lost that uniqueness. The M135i is fast enough, has a great gearbox and there’s abundant traction under power. Even the steering has good feel and feedback to it. But, it doesn’t feel like a fast BMW that becomes livelier the more you ask of it.

To put it another way, the BMW underdelivers in terms of its driving experience... even though it handles like a lot of other all-wheel-drive hot hatches. It’s just not exciting to pilot on your favourite set of twisties; it gets through them fast enough, but there’s no big smile at the end. To put it in a way that millennials would, "the drive is a bit meh!"

And then there’s the price: R700k before options. We don’t think the M135i offers anything that you couldn’t get from a Volkswagen Golf R (heck, even a GTI) and that’s before you start bringing in driver’s hatches like the Renault Megane RS or Honda Civic Type R. The other bad news is that this is as good as it’s likely to get: BMW will not be making a 1M and its smallest M car offering will remain the M2 Coupe.

BMW M135frnt.jpgBMWM135closeside.jpgBMWM135side2.jpgBMWM135rearclose.jpgBMWM135rear4.jpgBMWM135frontseats.jpgBMWM135Intwide.jpgBMWM135infotain.jpgBMWM135inst2.jpgBMWM135iengine.jpg

kripstoe

Expert Member
To put it in a way that millennials would, "the drive is a bit meh!"

And then there’s the price: R700k before options. We don’t think the M135i offers anything that you couldn’t get from a Volkswagen Golf R (heck, even a GTI) and that’s before you start bringing in driver’s hatches like the Renault Megane RS or Honda Civic Type R.
Sums it up

FiestaST

Honorary Master
ROAD TEST: BMW 118i Steptronic

TEST SUMMARY

Last place for the M135i xDrive in Performance Shootout 2020 – including copping the ire of our resident ex-works BMW track ace, Deon Joubert – didn’t set the bar high for the entry-level 1 Series. Yet, after sampling such an accomplished base model, we have to wonder where the astonishingly talented M division went wrong in turning up the wick on the new 1.

Still as divisive in its styling as ever, where the grown-up new 1 Series package succeeds is in retaining its sporty character despite a shift to a less favourable drivetrain layout. Regardless of this much-debated compromise towards practicality, the 1 Series doesn’t set any new standards in terms of interior comfort or luggage space compared to its rivals … including the scheduled arrival of an all-new A3 Sportback.

Until the latest Audi arrives, though, it’s the 118i – with its quality interior, brilliant drivetrain and dynamics, and newfound levels of class-competitive versatility – that rules the roost in a segment that continues to take market strain under the influence of its respective raised-ride-height cousins.

1er 1.jpg1er 2.jpg1er 3.jpg1er 4.jpg1er 5.jpg1er 6.jpg1er 7.jpg1er 8.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
AC Schnitzer BMW 1 Series Showcased

German tuner AC Schnitzer has revealed more parts for the BMW 1-Series including some performance parts for the BMW M135i.

Some of you may recall the first catalogue of AC Schnitzer parts for the BMW 1-Series which ranged from an aerodynamics package and lowering kit. Now the German tuner has showcased even more parts.

For those wanting more, you can get a sports exhaust with either carbon, chrome, or black tips, front splitter, rear wing, custom badges, as well as these tasty wheels. They're 19-inch units and are available in either BiColour or Anthracite tones.

AC Schnitzer 1.jpgAC Schnitzer 2.jpgAC Schnitzer 3.jpgAC Schnitzer 4.jpgAC Schnitzer 5.jpg

Pho3nix

The Legend
Really considering swapping to this (120d) next year and getting a coupe later when the new 2 series comes out

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Audi A3 v BMW 1 Series v VW Golf v Mercedes A-Class: which is best? - Carwow

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW M135i xDrive gets aggressive makeover and choice chassis tweaks

The BMW M135i xDrive caused quite a stir when it replaced the much-loved straight-six, rear-driven M140i. But tuners still see potential in the downsized engine and all-wheel-drive system. One such tuner is Lightweight.

Yes, the company has handed the Bavarian hot hatch ostensibly improved handling and a visual makeover.

The Misano Blue example pictured here has gained a carbon aerodynamic package which includes a front spoiler, gurney flaps, a rear apron insert and a rear spoiler attached to the hatch. Acknowledging the M135i’s 225 kW/450 N.m turbocharged 2,0-litre four-cylinder engine can't match the sound of its predecessor’s six-pot, Lightweight has installed four 89 mm carbon tailpipes.

CA44AEEA-183E-4A1C-BDD1-5F5F96B9F9A7.jpeg7C68A631-C9A3-4DE4-9EE1-D9ADC5CB6A02.jpeg5A1E47D4-916A-4CCC-BF06-DB37B6592974.jpeg0D2D8D18-0EB6-46E6-AEE0-5574D9DA397E.jpeg