2020 BMW 4-Series (2nd Generation)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW Opens Up About 4 Series Design

Not since the Z1 or Bangle era limousines, has BMW had to answer so many questions about vehicle design, as has been the case with the new 4 Series.

For decades, the BMW 3 Series coupe was an example of exemplary taste and considered design. Although the brand's M3s were always purposeful and intimidating in their stance, the 3 Series coupe was graceful and elegant by comparison.

Not so, the new 4 Series. Or at least, that is public perception.

We spent an afternoon with BMW’s German design and production team responsible for the new 4 Series to try and learn what guided the project to its eventual conclusion: a shape and front-end which has triggered even ardent fans to project strong opinions.

4er.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW 4 Series 420d M Sport Coupe 2020 UK review

Should I buy one?

It’ll be interesting to discover whether adaptively damped cars on 19in rims and runflat tyres make the 4 Series deal better with UK B-roads than passively damped examples on smaller rims. I don’t imagine it’ll be the very smoothest of rides however you order it. Then again, if the grille hasn’t put you off, the ride certainly needn’t. This isn’t the sort of car that’ll spend very many miles on tortuous back roads after all, and the car's motorway comfort levels are pretty darned good.

The 420d is the sort of car that would cruise at high speed, at better than 50mpg, for hours on end. It would feel like your own magnificent, extra-exclusive bubble of technological power, effortless poise and laser-guided calm all along.

And so there is, in short, very little indeed wrong with what one of the most important versions of BMW’s brand-new coupé actually does out on the road – and on UK roads at that. The lingering question with which we finish is the same one we started with: could you imagine driving one? Right now, the easy answer may be ‘not on your nelly’ – but the thing about divisive design is, well, you get used to it.

For me, a certain amount of kerbside allure ought to be central to the appeal of a car like this. I doubt I’ll ever look at a G22-generation BMW 4 Series and just want one in the way I do a really nice E21, E30 or E46 3 Series two-door. Jokes aside, that does seem a significant failing and, apart from anything else, it’s also a great shame.

But I will undoubtedly soften over time to the way this car looks; for the record, you will, too. And getting to drive a 420d every day would, I highly suspect, make that process happen surprisingly quickly.

4er 1.jpg 4er 2.jpg 4er 3.jpg 4er 4.jpg

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I think since the grill is a separate part to the bumper, you could colour code the bottom half to match the paint of the car, it will kind of hide the ugliness of the grill if you don't look too hard.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW 420i M Sport Coupe 2020 UK review

Should I buy one?

For the slick, engaging manner in which it drives, I don’t see why you shouldn't consider the 420i. I really like that it makes for a comfortable grand tourer of sorts that can entertain on a good road when you want it to. I also like how it just gets the simple things like driving position, interior design and ergonomics in a general sense right and is relaxing to casually tool about in.

The thing is, the 3 Series does all of that too - and it comes with the added practicality of a saloon or estate body. Surely part of the reason for buying a car like the 4 Series is the added style appeal that a coupé body brings. And I’m not sure this G22 model brings much at all to the table on this front – although perhaps I’ll warm to its appearance over time.

As competent as it mostly is, I’m not sure this particular engine would be the one I would go for either. Short of the full on M and M Performance models, I think the four-cylinder diesel might actually be a better fit, if only for the greater fuel efficiency it would undoubtedly bring.

The 38mpg figure I saw on my long-distance, mixed-roads test route isn’t exactly terrible, but the 420d wouldn't struggle to beat that. Even more tempting would be to wait for the six-cylinder 430d and M440d models. I know diesel is far from in vogue at the moment, but I can imagine both of those cars being pretty magnificent.

4er 1.jpg 4er 2.jpg 4er 3.jpg 4er 4.jpg 4er 5.jpg 4er 6.jpg 4er 7.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW confirms ‘stunning’ new 4 Series Gran Coupé to be revealed soon

A BMW executive has confirmed the new 4 Series Gran Coupé is set to be revealed “pretty soon”.

The four-door model will join the already unveiled coupé and convertible in the 4 Series range, which is topped by the new M4. The Munich-based firm’s broader line-up also includes Gran Coupé versions of the 2 Series and 8 Series.

Christopher Weil, the head of exterior design at BMW, promised GoAuto.com.au the newcomer would be “stunning”.

“The four-door is also very muscular, very elegant so it will be – as you’ve seen already on concept cars which are kind of reflecting the looks of the 4 Series Gran Coupé – the same way as the coupé, let’s say,” Weil said.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Eyeing an aftermarket 4 Series grille? Fine with me, says BMW designer

A high-ranking BMW designer says he would have no problem with 4 Series buyers “customising” their vehicles with aftermarket front bumpers and grilles.

When the new G22-generation 4 Series coupé was unwrapped in June 2020, the Munich-based firm conceded the “daring” grille design would prove polarising. Tuners such as Prior Design have since started working on more subtle aftermarket front-end kits with smaller kidney grilles.

Christopher Weil, head of exterior design at BMW, pointed out to CarsGuide.com.au the 4 Series “should be more expressive, more progressive and also more elegant than the 3 Series” with which it shares a platform.

While Weil suggested the 4 Series had won favour among many potential customers after they had seen it in the metal, he added he had no issue with buyers customising the front end of the coupé.