2020 Land Rover Defender (L663)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Highly doubt it's just a jazzed up Disco.

The development costs & length of development alone dismisses that "theory".

eg2505

Honorary Master
Highly doubt it's just a jazzed up Disco.

The development costs & length of development alone dismisses that "theory".
not Jazzed up, Jazzed down.
so all the fancy tech taken out, to be replaced with acres of plastic

and if it aint broke, dont fix it.
stick with a disco, and save on some costs,

as for the development costs, they probably just want to make sure it wont fall apart so quickly.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
not Jazzed up, Jazzed down.
so all the fancy tech taken out, to be replaced with acres of plastic

and if it aint broke, dont fix it.
stick with a disco, and save on some costs,

as for the development costs, they probably just want to make sure it wont fall apart so quickly.
Disagree. If you knew how much LR is riding on this vehicle & the expectation that is attached to it.

I prefer to judge a vehicle once it's actually announced/shown.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Disagree. If you knew how much LR is riding on this vehicle & the expectation that is attached to it.

I prefer to judge a vehicle once it's actually announced/shown.
ok, fair point,
to me at least in disguise, it still looks like a disco that's gone on a diet.
how much different can it be?

I mean all over the world it still has to look vaguely similar to what the Defender looked like,
so why not copy that?

Instead they make something that looks like a Disco with less equipment.
my 2c worth.

fish_man

Expert Member
Wonder what the pricing would be? The Defender has always been at the bottom of land rovers price structure.
But this one will most probably have all the fancy electronics and drive modes.
So my guess would be between the Evoque and Disco Sport or would it be more to the Valar and Normal Disco price?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Wonder what the pricing would be? The Defender has always been at the bottom of land rovers price structure.
But this one will most probably have all the fancy electronics and drive modes.
So my guess would be between the Evoque and Disco Sport or would it be more to the Valar and Normal Disco price?
Fair question. Obviously had to say/assume but I would take a stab & say price wise higher than the Disco Sport but below the full blown Disco.

gamer16

Executive Member
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/new-images-2020-land-rover-defender-completes-745000-miles-testing/

As part of its field tests, Land Rover’s been taking the pre-production Defender to highly challenging environments, such as the canyons and 10,000ft altitude of the Rocky mountians in Colorado, the 50C heat of the desert and the sub-40C cold of the Arctic Circle.

Quite why the car maker felt the need to also take it to the Nürburgring Nordschleife race track in Germany is beyond us, though.

Having racked up 745,000 miles of testing already, Land Rover says it has no plans to wind down the development programme just yet.

Defenders will next be deployed to Kenya, where they’ll assist the Tusk Trust’s operations at the Borana Conservancy nature reserve, towing heavy loads, wading through rivers and carrying supplies across unforgiving terrain in a series of real-world trials at the 14,000-hectare reserve.

Land Rover says that by the time the new Defender makes its public debut later this year, it will have passed more than 45,000 individual tests in some of the most extreme environments on Earth.

As part of its ongoing testing Land Rover is also handing over a Defender prototype to its partner the Tusk Trust, in Kenya. The specially camouflaged vehicle will be used by the trust across its 14,000-hectare reserve to test its abilities in real-world use.

Hmm looks a lot like a Mahindra.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
ok, fair point,
to me at least in disguise, it still looks like a disco that's gone on a diet.
how much different can it be?

I mean all over the world it still has to look vaguely similar to what the Defender looked like,
so why not copy that?

Instead they make something that looks like a Disco with less equipment.
my 2c worth.
So you would expect LR to make a new vehicle that looks like the old Defender but has very little in common with the design language being used across their entire range these days?

Your 2c in this instance seems to be a bit of a stretch...

eg2505

Honorary Master
So you would expect LR to make a new vehicle that looks like the old Defender but has very little in common with the design language being used across their entire range these days?

Your 2c in this instance seems to be a bit of a stretch...
no, Im saying, if it aint broke, dont fix it,
why not just keep building the classic defender with updated parts,
not a poor mans version of a luxury car, as this appears to be.

again just my 2c worth, as I think it just looks exactly like a disco with fancy tech taken out.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
not a poor mans version of a luxury car, as this appears to be.

again just my 2c worth, as I think it just looks exactly like a disco with fancy tech taken out.
Your 2c is still not really adding up to 2c... or anything.

The cost of updating the existing defender platform to comply with the regulations across the globe was cost prohibitive.

This is hardly a poor mans luxury car, and it doesn't appear that way either. Its a VERY capable off roader that very clearly is more capable that the existing discovery straight off the factory floor.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Your 2c is still not really adding up to 2c... or anything.

The cost of updating the existing defender platform to comply with the regulations across the globe was cost prohibitive.

This is hardly a poor mans luxury car, and it doesn't appear that way either. Its a VERY capable off roader that very clearly is more capable that the existing discovery straight off the factory floor.
when the covers finally come off, we will see what it actually looks like,
then and only then we will know if my hunch was correct, its a disco without all the fancy tech

I mean its still a idea, make a poor mans version/less luxury version of a disco,
I mean a cargo version of the disco already exists, why not expand on that?

Naks

Expert Member
not economically viable, since they were selling < 20,000 units worldwide.

they needed to break into the US market, and the old one was woefully unsafe. Driving a 90 will cause you to age prematurely o_O

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
when the covers finally come off, we will see what it actually looks like,
then and only then we will know if my hunch was correct, its a disco without all the fancy tech

I mean its still a idea, make a poor mans version/less luxury version of a disco,
I mean a cargo version of the disco already exists, why not expand on that?
No, we know already... its not a Disco without all the fancy tech, its a whole new vehicle from the ground up.

You seem to be the only one with this retarded idea in your head... the rest of the world knows the reality.

eg2505

Honorary Master
No, we know already... its not a Disco without all the fancy tech, its a whole new vehicle from the ground up.

You seem to be the only one with this retarded idea in your head... the rest of the world knows the reality.
we shall see when the covers come off,
what is what.

Jchan11hk

I think styling-wise, it does have that Disco4 design language. But yes, if I am the CEO of JLR, then I will use the same chassis as the new Discovery in order to save cost and also use the original Defender design language to make sure it is appeal to the die-hard fans.

If they really make a new chassis just for the new Defender, then I am not sure if it is financially a sound plan.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I think styling-wise, it does have that Disco4 design language. But yes, if I am the CEO of JLR, then I will use the same chassis as the new Discovery in order to save cost and also use the original Defender design language to make sure it is appeal to the die-hard fans.

If they really make a new chassis just for the new Defender, then I am not sure if it is financially a sound plan.
glad Im not the only one that seems the similarity.
thought I needed to clean my glasses or something.