2020 matric pass rate revealed

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator

Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga has announced the pass rate for the matric class of 2020.

The national matric pass rate for the class of 2020 is 76.2% – down by 5.1 percentage points from 2019’s matric pass rate of 81.3%.

A total of 607,226 candidates enrolled to write the National Senior Certificate (NSC) examination, and 578,468 of these students sat and wrote the exams.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Shi

LandyMan

Honorary Master

Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga has announced the pass rate for the matric class of 2020.

The national matric pass rate for the class of 2019 is 76.2% – down by 5.1 percentage points from 2019’s matric pass rate of 81.3%.

A total of 607,226 candidates enrolled to write the National Senior Certificate (NSC) examination, and 578,468 of these students sat and wrote the exams.
So time did stand still last year ...

sand_man

Honorary Master
Not bad considering the year we've had.... Can't imagine it's been easy for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Private school scholars have apparently faired extremely well, better than previous years. There's a strong argument to be made for online schooling but students without the infrastructure to enable online schooling are at a massive disadvantage...

dualmeister

Honorary Master
So time did stand still last year ...
Not in some schools.

On Friday, 19 February, we celebrated the release of the 2020 Matric results. The Matrics of 2020 delivered an incredible set of results and, given their unprecedented year, this accomplishment is even more astounding. The Matrics achieved the best set of IEB results in our 22 years of operation.
Our 88 matric learners achieved a 100% pass rate, and all passed with access to tertiary studies.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Not in some schools.

On Friday, 19 February, we celebrated the release of the 2020 Matric results. The Matrics of 2020 delivered an incredible set of results and, given their unprecedented year, this accomplishment is even more astounding. The Matrics achieved the best set of IEB results in our 22 years of operation.
Our 88 matric learners achieved a 100% pass rate, and all passed with access to tertiary studies.
For sure ... our local high school (IEB) also had phenomenal results

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Not bad considering the year we've had.... Can't imagine it's been easy for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Private school scholars have apparently faired extremely well, better than previous years. There's a strong argument to be made for online schooling but students without the infrastructure to enable online schooling are at a massive disadvantage...
Agree with you 100%!

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
People act as if getting 30% is an achievement.
Hasn't the subjects also been made a lot easier?

I mean you could be failed for something as simple as spelling mistakes. Not sure if that is still the case nowadays...

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Failed for a spelling mistake in which subjects?
Your 2x language selection, but we also had that with science/biology. They were 'strict' I guess *shrugs*.

Reason I'm asking is the avoid the perception of it was harder back in my day; so that is why I asking loosely if the subjects was made easier compared to say 15-20 years ago.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Your 2x language selection, but we also had that with science/biology. They were 'strict' I guess *shrugs*.

Reason I'm asking is the avoid the perception of it was harder back in my day; so that is why I asking loosely if the subjects was made easier compared to say 15-20 years ago.
Not for matric exams, I know some grumpy teacher would punish you for not spelling Islets of Langerhans correctly in a class test but they won't do that in a matric exam, there are clear guidelines for marking and it's generally not acceptable for a marker to mark you wrong for spelling mistakes in science subjects. If it happens moderation will pick it up and the marker won't be coming back next year.

In languages it is acceptable because spelling things correctly is the whole point of teaching laguages.