2020 matric pass rate revealed

Ejeckt

People act as if getting 30% is an achievement.

Bachelor’s pass

A bachelor’s pass means you can apply for a degree course at a university or university of technology and can study for a higher certificate, diploma or bachelor’s degree.

To achieve a bachelor’s pass, you must:

• Pass 6 of the 7 subjects offered;
  • Of which four Subjects must be at least a 50% (level 4) achievement;
  • Including Home Language 40% Compulsory Pass /excluding Life Orientation;
  • 30% Pass in the Language of Learning and Teaching (LOLT);
  • The Department of Basic Education has revoked the list of designated subjects with effect from September 2018;
  • The minimum admission requirements for a Bachelor’s degree programme remain the same, namely, a NSC with a minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the Higher Education Institution (HEI), coupled with an achievements rating of 4 (50-59%) or better in any four (4) NSC subject except Life Orientation.
It should be noted that even if a student has achieved a bachelor’s pass, they do not automatically qualify for a university position.

Diploma pass

A diploma pass requires 40% in four higher credit subjects, 30% in three lower credit subjects, and you may fail one subject.

With this pass, you can enrol for a bridging course at a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college or a diploma course at a university of technology.

To receive a diploma pass, a student must:

• Pass 6 of the 7 subjects offered;
  • Of which 4 Subjects must be at least a 40% (level 3) achievement;
  • Subjects include Home Language at 40% Compulsory Pass /excluding Life Orientation;
  • 30% Pass in Language of Learning and Teaching (LOLT).
Certificate pass

A certificate pass requires a 40% pass in your home language, 2 subjects above 40%, 4 subjects above 30% and you may fail 1 subject. This pass allows you to study for a higher certificate.

At first I wanted to point out that it's not that bad, roughly half of the matriculants passed well enough to get into varsity.

... then I saw that only 4 subjects need > 50%.

Eish.

ForceFate

Honorary Master

At first I wanted to point out that it's not that bad, roughly half of the matriculants passed well enough to get into varsity.

Eish.
They will more than likely not be accepted by any university.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

Eish.
Would it make a difference if it was all 6 subjects at 50? Asking because the two remaining subjects are languages and most likely someone who got 50% for maths and science will get much better marks for English and the home language.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Alot of stupid kids out there.
Can't even get the 30% pass percentage.
Youth unemployment will rise again because companies do not want to employ "30 percenters".
A lot of stupid adults out there. Can't understand that there is no 30% pass percentage no matter how many times it's explained, there's really no hope for this country.

ConfusedR

Zarathustra

Expert Member
Matric results can be summarised as celebrating mediocrity.

On another but similar note, my favourite read of the day:

Ryansr

Expert Member
These results are largely used by ANC for their "good story to tell" slogan. If only the government can start to take the results more seriously than trying to inflate it for political gain. Too bad for the future generations that thinks they only needed to pass their matric exam in the current ANC times.

If you keep telling the lie long enough, eventually it seems to become the truth in SA, I guess. :unsure:

Flywheel

Honorary Master
lol when you only need 30% to pass, I wouldn't call that pass rate a success...at all.

If you use 50% (university requirement for a pass) as the matric pass rate, then the figure is probably lower than Angie's saggy tits.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If you use 50% (university requirement for a pass) as the matric pass rate, then the figure is probably lower than Angie's saggy tits.
50% has never been a pass requirement even back in the good old days but you guys turned out just fine, I don't know why that argument would suddenly be thrown into the mix now.