2020 matric pass rate revealed

Flywheel

Honorary Master
50% has never been a pass requirement even back in the good old days but you guys turned out just fine, I don't know why that argument would suddenly be thrown into the mix now.

You're correct, our pass requirement was 40% back in the day. There were only a few students who actually got 40 - 49% , the majority acheived 50%+ back then.

The comparison is how students will perform in university, if they even manage to get placed.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
You're correct, our pass requirement was 40% back in the day. There were only a few students who actually got 40 - 49% , the majority acheived 50%+ back then.

The comparison is how students will perform in university, if they even manage to get placed.
I don't think anyone with 30% and 40% gets a place at universities.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Unisa accepts the "Diploma matric" students to register for their diploma/certificate courses, which then allows access to further studies at undergraduate level.
Which in my opinion is acceptable. If one sails through diploma, there's a chance they won't struggle with university course work. Also, I believe it gets easier with age.

/dev/null

50% has never been a pass requirement even back in the good old days but you guys turned out just fine, I don't know why that argument would suddenly be thrown into the mix now.
I wonder if they turned out fine judging by their chronic misunderstanding of this topic.

ponder

Honorary Master

I honestly can't remember, we did have hg, sg & lg subjects in those days & things differed between them. I do however recall that after school with tertiary education we were quite chuffed as you now only needed 40% for a pass and thought this was gonna be a breeze but it wasn't...

Mila

Honorary Master
So we don't need teachers? Parents does a better job?

Moms everywhere just grabbed for wine

Martin 007

Poor education system is still the biggest gift to the previous advantaged. Imagine if there was a 90 percent pass rate people who were previously advantaged would never ever get a job. The system works well for the previous advantaged don't fix something which works. Well done scholars and teachers you did great.

Gozado

Interesting name list here https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...iculants-a114751d-5790-40b8-acce-8d1f79c9934d :

Top 10 matric students in KZN on NSC 2020 results

1st Colombe Cynthia Obono Eyono from Westville Girls’ High.

2nd Shaheen Govender from Westville Boys’ High.

3rd Jordane Hannah Vartharajulu from Southlands Secondary School in Chatsworth.

4th Dipika Somaroo from Effingham Secondary School.

5th, tie: Sanam Maharaj from Greenbury Secondary School in Phoenix and Hemal Niranjan Harkhu from Westville Boys’ High.

6th, tie: Vanam Ramessur from Umkomaas Secondary School and Shreya Nair from Danville Girls’ High.

7th Kiarin Naidoo from Westville Boys’ High.

8th, tie: Akshar Kanaye from Greytown Secondary School and Kiash Nadasen Baldeo from Seatides Combined School.

The Light Green Hornet

Congratulations to those who passed, but with the Department of Very Very Basic Education running the show, I can't help wondering what the future holds for them.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Poor education system is still the biggest gift to the previous advantaged. Imagine if there was a 90 percent pass rate people who were previously advantaged would never ever get a job. The system works well for the previous advantaged don't fix something which works. Well done scholars and teachers you did great.
This post is so 30%.

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Interesting name list here https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...iculants-a114751d-5790-40b8-acce-8d1f79c9934d :

Top 10 matric students in KZN on NSC 2020 results

1st Colombe Cynthia Obono Eyono from Westville Girls’ High.

2nd Shaheen Govender from Westville Boys’ High.

3rd Jordane Hannah Vartharajulu from Southlands Secondary School in Chatsworth.

4th Dipika Somaroo from Effingham Secondary School.

5th, tie: Sanam Maharaj from Greenbury Secondary School in Phoenix and Hemal Niranjan Harkhu from Westville Boys’ High.

6th, tie: Vanam Ramessur from Umkomaas Secondary School and Shreya Nair from Danville Girls’ High.

7th Kiarin Naidoo from Westville Boys’ High.

8th, tie: Akshar Kanaye from Greytown Secondary School and Kiash Nadasen Baldeo from Seatides Combined School.
Indians wins