210GB for R599 - Big data deal from MTN

Sodan

Expert Member
"All of MTN’s Mega Deals require users to sign up to a 24-month contract."

Toilet flush...

Absinth

At the end of the day I will only be using the 80 GIG and paying R599 for it.
This will not work for me :(

wizardofid

Executive Member
Enough with these 24-months contract deals, please. And can we just have data, not night time data, not day time data. Just give me "210GB MYdata for R599" per month. That. Is.It.
I don't know what people's issues are with contracts especially with taking out sim only deals, you can cancel at any time, with min effort and very little penalties.For "mobile data" you won't find any better deals then contract offers, and if you point out , that there are 12 month long term bundles you can buy that offer better value point them out, considering you getting 4.8TB worth of data services over a course of 2 years.

Let not forget prepaid bundles that are network only deals, entirely forgetting those networks coverage is quite restricted, but are punted by anti 24 month people, as the next best thing since slice bread and then complain most of the time they don't have access or the data isn't "mobile".

You can't beat 24 month contract data period, and going month to month will double the costs you would pay for a contract terms.

There is VERY little that is negative about contract data.

Christo4

I don't know what people's issues are with contracts especially with taking out sim only deals, you can cancel at any time, with min effort and very little penalties.For "mobile data" you won't find any better deals then contract offers, and if you point out , that there are 12 month long term bundles you can buy that offer better value point them out, considering you getting 4.8TB worth of data services over a course of 2 years.

Let not forget prepaid bundles that are network only deals, entirely forgetting those networks coverage is quite restricted, but are punted by anti 24 month people, as the next best thing since slice bread and then complain most of the time they don't have access or the data isn't "mobile".

You can't beat 24 month contract data period, and going month to month will double the costs you would pay for a contract terms.

There is VERY little that is negative about contract data.
Very well said.
But most of the savy mybb will never agree with it. Over 24 mths is the deal breaker for us.
"double the cost" is a bit far fetched but if you believe so, who am I to disagree

wizardofid

Executive Member
Very well said.
But most of the savy mybb will never agree with it. Over 24 mths is the deal breaker for us.
"double the cost" is a bit far fetched but if you believe so, who am I to disagree
I can sure you, that offering services month to month would in fact be more expensive, would you ask the same price to someone that might only be two weeks on your network and then move on.

Case and point afrihost offering mobile data deals on month to month basis, and NOWHERE near matches any thing on offer from MTN on price.Pretty sure there isn't a single mobile data reseller that matches cellphone network pricing, with the exception of "fixed LTE products.

Continual revenue generating clients are of far more valuable and get rewarded accordingly. I bet worldwide the amount of mobile network providers offering exclusively month to month offer, isn't a lot and not particularly large enterprises either.

As a network operator I would much rather have long term clients and safety in numbers, then potential fly by night customers.It is quite a business risk as well.

24 months on a sim only deal is hardly that bad, sure I bet they can reduce the terms to 6 or 12 months even, but you will be rewarded accordingly, and likely you won't have access to some of the higher value offers either, and you still likely to end up paying more.

Christo4

I can sure you, that offering services month to month would in fact be more expensive, would you ask the same price to someone that might only be two weeks on your network and then move on.

Case and point afrihost offering mobile data deals on month to month basis, and NOWHERE near matches any thing on offer from MTN on price.Pretty sure there isn't a single mobile data reseller that matches cellphone network pricing, with the exception of "fixed LTE products.

Continual revenue generating clients are of far more valuable and get rewarded accordingly. I bet worldwide the amount of mobile network providers offering exclusively month to month offer, isn't a lot and not particularly large enterprises either.

As a network operator I would much rather have long term clients and safety in numbers, then potential fly by night customers.It is quite a business risk as well.

24 months on a sim only deal is hardly that bad, sure I bet they can reduce the terms to 6 or 12 months even, but you will be rewarded accordingly, and likely you won't have access to some of the higher value offers either, and you still likely to end up paying more.
A very outdated scenario you have there and not based on facts.

Today's customer wants freedom , even day to day, even month to month seems long when you have buffering etc. When that happens you must be allowed to change. Why must the customer be forced to pay for downtime, buffering, etc.
Nothing must stand in the way if you are not satisfied with what was and is promised via advertisement and do not forget the t&c. The customer gets screwed. This I say solely from reading mybb.

Swa

Honorary Master
It's not the contracts itself that's the problem as I said they can be cancelled at any time. It's rather the fact they are inflexible. With prepaid you can choose how much you want to use. On contract you have to keep on using the same amount every month as well as your whole allocation to make it worthwhile. Few people have such usage patterns and there's invariably going to be breakage which makes them more expensive and less valuable.

This is where Rain is a winner as it's month to month and pay as you use and still cheaper as well.

wizardofid

Executive Member
A very outdated scenario you have there and not based on facts.

Today's customer wants freedom , even day to day, even month to month seems long when you have buffering etc. When that happens you must be allowed to change. Why must the customer be forced to pay for downtime, buffering, etc.
Nothing must stand in the way if you are not satisfied with what was and is promised via advertisement and do not forget the t&c. The customer gets screwed. This I say solely from reading mybb.
If you are happy to pay more for your data please do insist on month to month.I am quite happy with contract terms my data rolls over get my allocation on time regardless of having had a small increase a few months back.It is STILL cheaper then what afrihost offered me for 4 gigs of data at nearly R350 currently afrihost charges R68 a gig for LTE data.

Considering am getting 40 gig total data you do the maths, considering not a single reseller sells "mobile data" at same price as MTN does, you will be paying through your behind for month to month data regardless of being via MTN or a reseller.

You could always go prepaid and get shafted even more, but that is entirely up to you.

Secondly freedom on contract at no point takes away freedom as you put it, if you were in the know mtn penalties on early cancellation is 2 months basically with sim only contracts. With a device which to be honest like hell will ANY network provider give on a month to month service, the penalties to be fair is worse, it's not like you get the device free any ways so you have to pay the outstanding balance, but considering the prices of the devices people take out on contract, blaming the network for your desire to have a R15000 phone is your problem any your problem alone.

I don't see how its the networks fault or how they taking away your freedom.MTN also allows after 3 months to migrate to a larger or smaller plan as well, of course migration to a smaller plan is going to cost you.

At no point does a network take away freedoms, you welcome to cancel at any time, there is even a provision that clearly states should they not be able to provide a service you signed up for at the place you intend to use the service you can pretty cancel without penalties, with a device you will have to pay for the device or return it.

There isn't a single network in the world that at some point won't have some service issues or issues with uptime ADSL VDSL even fibre suffer from the occasional outage, network providers are no different.There is really no down side with a sim only data contract other then data contracts being made cheaper during the course of your contract term you could always migrate.

Based on what facts ? There isn't a single national operator that don't offer cheaper data then they would on month to month basis, I would bet should afrihost start offering a 24 month contract for data it will be cheaper then month to month.

Even if MTN offers a month to month service, in all likely event they would still set up a contract with a notice period.
Can you imagine how much effort and adminstration goes on behind the scene with sim activations as well a converting sims from contract to prepaid it takes time money and effort, and deserve to pay more for the "freedom" of wanting to chop and change networks.

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
It's not the contracts itself that's the problem as I said they can be cancelled at any time. It's rather the fact they are inflexible. With prepaid you can choose how much you want to use. On contract you have to keep on using the same amount every month as well as your whole allocation to make it worthwhile. Few people have such usage patterns and there's invariably going to be breakage which makes them more expensive and less valuable.

This is where Rain is a winner as it's month to month and pay as you use and still cheaper as well.
And yet it isn't mobile data, and people have been complaining about slow speeds even down time, worse then mobile data users.Can I use my mobile data any where in the country, as long as there is signal you can use it pretty much any where, whether 2g 3g or 4g.You can't compare rain to any network provider as its limited coverage and fixed internet and will never ever have the same coverage as mobile providers as they can neither afford it or practical to service small areas.

I did after all mention this is about mobile data, and considering rain is fixed and main focus on data logically there is NO comparative networks have to contend with various other services on their network and allow data to be used on the move as well voice used MMS SMS and what not.

Didn't rain stop resellers from selling new accounts, because their network was getting over whelmed. Yeah every thing is just rosy with rain. https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/rain-r250-uncapped-offer-ending-30th-june.1031825/page-6

50 rand a gig cheap ? Afrihost is 10c a mb any you can use it any where.currently paying 0.13 cents a mb on contract and I can use my data any where 7 cents more then rain but I will always have access on the move unlike rain clients I don't have to buy extra data for my phone either, I can share no promotional data without much hassle as well which means I don't have to buy data for my phone.

Considering you have a phone and you need data for it at some point when you don't have access to your rain you are paying more for data and have more Hassle's, are you really saving money or have cheaper data at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
And yet it isn't mobile data, and people have been complaining about slow speeds even down time, worse then mobile data users.Can I use my mobile data any where in the country, as long as there is signal you can use it pretty much any where, whether 2g 3g or 4g.You can't compare rain to any network provider as its limited coverage and fixed internet and will never ever have the same coverage as mobile providers as they can neither afford it or practical to service small areas.

I did after all mention this is about mobile data, and considering rain is fixed and main focus on data logically there is NO comparative networks have to contend with various other services on their network and allow data to be used on the move as well voice used MMS SMS and what not.

Didn't rain stop resellers from selling new accounts, because their network was getting over whelmed. Yeah every thing is just rosy with rain. https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/rain-r250-uncapped-offer-ending-30th-june.1031825/page-6

50 rand a gig cheap ? Afrihost is 10c a mb any you can use it any where.currently paying 0.13 cents a mb on contract and I can use my data any where 7 cents more then rain but I will always have access on the move unlike rain clients I don't have to buy extra data for my phone either, I can share no promotional data without much hassle as well which means I don't have to buy data for my phone.

Considering you have a phone and you need data for it at some point when you don't have access to your rain you are paying more for data and have more Hassle's, are you really saving money or have cheaper data at the end of the day.
What do you mean it isn't mobile? It's mobile as you can move it from one place to another and switch from one tower to another. Rain cancelled their fixed LTE that they were selling through resellers.

My data costs R10/GB and that seems to be the current sweetspot. I have the whole year to use it and don't have to worry about caps or losing any of it. The nearest I see MTN coming is R199/20GB. Will cost me a lot more with breakage. I'm through with night data and don't want to wait for some ungodly hour to do downloads. When Rain launches their new offers I'll likely switch over or use it with their current uncapped. Nobody has been able to beat it so far.

The average speed is 17Mbps if I remember correctly so not far from MTN. As I keep saying mobile isn't for Netflix. If you want tv you have to include the cost of fibre. So the total is going to work out more than Dstv in any case.

I don't need data on my phone. The most I use is about R1 a month checking the price of bitcoin. If you're doing updates over your phone and not your main connection over wifi you're doing it wrong. I in any case haven't received an update in the last 4 years.

Really the inflexibility of contracts kill it and you end up paying more in the long run. They have to make it 100GB for R300 for it to be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Doing the math it's 80GB for R599. That's R7.49/GB which isn't even remotely that great compared to R10/GB with a whole year to use it. The breakage will invariably make you pay more than R10/GB.

wizardofid

Executive Member
So you can drive from the free state/gauteng border let's say vaal barrage all the way to the next gauteng border, via jhb, kempton, Pretoria and your 4g connection will never drop on the way..
What do you mean it isn't mobile? It's mobile as you can move it from one place to another and switch from one tower to another. Rain cancelled their fixed LTE that they were selling through resellers.

My data costs R10/GB and that seems to be the current sweetspot. I have the whole year to use it and don't have to worry about caps or losing any of it. The nearest I see MTN coming is R199/20GB. Will cost me a lot more with breakage. I'm through with night data and don't want to wait for some ungodly hour to do downloads. When Rain launches their new offers I'll likely switch over or use it with their current uncapped. Nobody has been able to beat it so far.

The average speed is 17Mbps if I remember correctly so not far from MTN. As I keep saying mobile isn't for Netflix. If you want tv you have to include the cost of fibre. So the total is going to work out more than Dstv in any case.

I don't need data on my phone. The most I use is about R1 a month checking the price of bitcoin. If you're doing updates over your phone and not your main connection over wifi you're doing it wrong. I in any case haven't received an update in the last 4 years.

Really the inflexibility of contracts kill it and you end up paying more in the long run. They have to make it 100GB for R300 for it to be worthwhile.
You tell me is this a "Mobile network"

Compare to MTN

Rain isn't a mobile network, too many uncovered areas even in the metro areas.You want to tell me you can drive from Vaal river to hammans kraal and will have a constant rain connection. ? Even with LTE dropping on MTN due to congestion or whatever reason I would still have access to 3G.

By definition rain isn't a mobile network, and fixed usage still apply in many areas, and rain is data only network, you honestly can't compare the two.Besides rain has made it quite clear it won't ever be covering certain areas.

Swa

Honorary Master
So you can drive from the free state/gauteng border let's say vaal barrage all the way to the next gauteng border, via jhb, kempton, Pretoria and your 4g connection will never drop on the way..

You tell me is this a "Mobile network"
View attachment 709399

View attachment 709401

Compare to MTN
View attachment 709403

View attachment 709405

Rain isn't a mobile network, too many uncovered areas even in the metro areas.You want to tell me you can drive from Vaal river to hammans kraal and will have a constant rain connection. ? Even with LTE dropping on MTN due to congestion or whatever reason I would still have access to 3G.
You seem to have missed the definition of mobile. No network will have 100% coverage. Networks like to inflate their figures by covering concentrated areas and it's well known how MTN and Vodacom have neglected rural areas. Rain has some small towns completely covered ironically. Show me a network where you can keep on driving and never lose signal. Doesn't exist. Besides by your own definition MTN and Vodacom weren't mobile networks.

By definition rain isn't a mobile network, and fixed usage still apply in many areas, and rain is data only network, you honestly can't compare the two.Besides rain has made it quite clear it won't ever be covering certain areas.
Yes I can. This is about data.

wizardofid

Executive Member
You seem to have missed the definition of mobile. No network will have 100% coverage. Networks like to inflate their figures by covering concentrated areas and it's well known how MTN and Vodacom have neglected rural areas. Rain has some small towns completely covered ironically. Show me a network where you can keep on driving and never lose signal. Doesn't exist. Besides by your own definition MTN and Vodacom weren't mobile networks.

Yes I can. This is about data.
Considering rain is in metro areas only, it's fair to compare metro areas covered by network providers.Unless the coverage graphics lies same area, is 100% covered, in fact MTN has pretty much covered EVERY square inch of metro's where reasonable.Considering the SAME DAMN AREA is shown in the picture below. It isn't a mobile network, period.

Rain

MTN, MTN has fail over to 3G 2100mhz, 900MHZ for data services whether LTE or 3G metro's are 100% covered and the true definition of mobile data.

Hell even MTN FIXED LTE coverage is better then rain, in the same area.

Swa

Honorary Master
Considering rain is in metro areas only, it's fair to compare metro areas covered by network providers.Unless the coverage graphics lies same area, is 100% covered, in fact MTN has pretty much covered EVERY square inch of metro's where reasonable.Considering the SAME DAMN AREA is shown in the picture below. It isn't a mobile network, period.
Since you seem to be struggling with it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_network

MTN, MTN has fail over to 3G 2100mhz, 900MHZ for data services whether LTE or 3G metro's are 100% covered and the true definition of mobile data.
Don't get me started on 3G (hspa) even. It's slower than gprs now.