220V AC Pedestal Fan - Motor Humming and Struggling to Start

AndrewJacksonZA

Question:
I have a pedestal fan at home that has struggled to start. I press the speed button, it has hummed and then started slowly spinning and then came up to speed. Occasionally it would not start turning at all, I would need to take the aluminium safety grid off and rotate the plastic fan blades manually, just like the old WWII planes in the movies.

Any idea what it could be and how I can fix it please? This particular problem has been the cause of replacing fans after about of three or four years of use for the past fifteen or so years. Every single fan that has had to be replaced has died with this problem. They well all el cheapo fans if it helps your diagnosis.

Interestingly enough I have a thirty-odd year old desk fan is still going strong! I only have to turn the fan blades manually very, very occasionally.

Possible answer:
I've done a Google search and turned up a few results. It could be bearings that need oiling with some sewing machine oil (or Q20, but the Q20 will apparently need to be reapplied every so often,) a capacitor, the windings or the bushes.

I'll wait for any other ideas before I try and dissassemble the fan and do something to it. I don't want to wreck it. I'll probably try the Q20 or the sewing machine oil (once I find a place that sells it) because it seems to be the least risky option.