22seven beta to end soon; Virgin Money now supported

martin

Expert Member
I think that services like 22seven are counter-productive. They'll never be as good as doing it yourself because they're doing what you hate - using generalisations to try and figure your money issues out, and give you a false sense of security about your finances. If 22seven does half the job for them, they'll think that it's problem solved, and just keep doing that and never learn to do it themselves.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat forever. 22seven is giving you fish. That's deep. :)

Can't for the life of me figure out where they use these generalisations? I doubt you have as deep an understanding as you think you do of how these services work and what they're trying to achieve (you're confusing regular expressions with generalisations) but more power to you and your obscure analogies!

j4ck455

Executive Member
This thread sure has taken a turn for the worse (@both sides), moving on.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Can't for the life of me figure out where they use these generalisations? I doubt you have as deep an understanding as you think you do of how these services work and what they're trying to achieve (you're confusing regular expressions with generalisations) but more power to you and your obscure analogies!

Algorithmic rules to try and deliver a customized financial profile is the generalization. These kind of services are most popular in USA (as you pointed out), which is legendary for how badly people manage their money. If they worked so well, surely that wouldn't be the case?

I accept your power, and your fish.

martin

Expert Member
Algorithmic rules to try and deliver a customized financial profile is the generalization.
So how do these 'algorithmic rules' translate into generalisations?

These kind of services are most popular in USA (as you pointed out), which is legendary for how badly people manage their money. If they worked so well, surely that wouldn't be the case?

I accept your power, and your fish.
There you go again. Unfortunately we have no idea of how the people in the US using Mint manage their money. Correlation does not imply causation. It's also well-known how badly the US government and private sectors manage money. You think the US treasury, Wall Street, etc... are using services like Mint, 22Seven to manage US money? :D

AntiThesis

Executive Member
See, the way I look at it - if you're truly in serious financial trouble, 22Seven isn't going to fix everything magically for you. It'll help to give you a grip on the situation if you're willing to go the extra mile and watch your finances and then use it as the tool it is.

Anyone who thinks any service, let alone 22Seven, is going to solve all problems would probably let their GPS drive them into the ocean as well. Most of the people that'll sign up for 22Seven (unless it's integrated right into the banking websites - which isn't going to happen) are going to be young, tech-savvy people who have an interest in seeing pretty graphs.

goofball

Expert Member
Started using this this week. It's brilliant. Really do think all of us should use this at least for one month to just see what is really going on.